Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a nice shot of a very cool reel. Bullwinkle's 4 1/4 Perfect and his legendary Babine fly - the Geek.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Philster,

Yeah, I know... I discussed it with him - he fished it for years and it wouldn't go onto his rods. Another friend is going to unscrew his original foot - it takes 2 screws - and have a machinist make a thinner one for modern reel seats. Bill thought it a great idea, but it was a little too late for him!

I didn't get a chance to photograph his mint Von Holfe reel - it was awesome - Bill even made me wear white cotton gloves to handle it! The next time I am in Campbell River I will get a photo. He can collect them - I can only afford a digital collection!

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Stop him Kush!!!

The screws that hold on the foot on old perfects are usually peened over! If he tries to unscrew them he'll likely strip out the screw holes in the frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - he's probably seen it for himself - but I'll make sure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, Gents--

It pains me deeply to see that someone felt compelled to go at a Hardy reel foot with a grinder so as to make it fit a "modern" reel seat!

I spend my waking hours looking for reels that have not suffered this indignity and over the years I've been fortunate enough to put together a cabinet of Brass Faced and alloy Perfects. We all have to get our thrill somehow; one of mine is to fish my collection of Hardy's on a rotational basis so none of them ever have to sulk too long in a dark corner.

Out of this collection I have two 4 1/2" Brass Faced Perfects, each of which have a 4" foot. How do I keep these monsters properly exercised without subjecting their tootsies to a grinder?

I build my own rods, that's how. And to overcome the seating problem I convinced a really cool dude over at Struble Manufacturing to modify their U-16 "spey" seats. I have them turn an extra-long cocobolo insert (3 1/2"). Then to fit the big Brass Faced Perfects I requested that Struble make an extra threaded sleeve (which fits thread-to-thread with the normal off the rack sleeve). Cost: about $ 15.00 more then normal retail for the U-16.

The trick is getting the threads to line up properly (a file will do this) and for the threaded ring not to bind when it passes over the joint. But the results are well worth the effort!!

I dream that every fisherman at least once in his lifetime gets to hear a Brass Faced Perfect or a big old alloy Perfect scream..... I mean behind a fish, not under a grinding wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kush,

How did your friend date the Perfect as a 1929? The Ivorine handle and the smooth brass foot would predate that time frame.

The Duplicated II was introduced in 1922. The new features for the Dup II are supposed to be:
I) the Duplicated II check mechanism
ii) a grooved brass foot
iii) a black ebonite handle
iv) a rim tension regulator screw without bridge

I have seen a number of earlier "Dup II's" with the Ivorine handle and smooth brass foot. My 4" (in the pics I sent you) has the smooth foot and ebonite handle which has been "dated early 20's, my 4 1/4 has the ribbed foot also with the ebonite handle. I believe the reel in your pic predates both (if the handle hasn't been replaced). I could not make out if the reel face was stamped "Duplicated II with the Pat #'s)

The thing about some of these older Perfect it seams Hardy occationally cleaned up and found a couple of parts on the floor and used them.

Now if I could only get these reels into the seat of my Salar any thoughts? I have seriously thought of using a couple of high end hot rod type hose clamps.

andre

·
Registered
886 Posts
Try a Bruce & Walker rod all my old Hardy reels fit.

Mind you I have nothing of that age. I tend to agree that the white handles are earlier, my father aged 76 has a reel of similer age, that his good looking son bought him, has a black handle fat but black

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
andre said:

Now if I could only get these reels into the seat of my Salar any thoughts? I have seriously thought of using a couple of high end hot rod type hose clamps.

andre
For a mere $250, Archuletta Reel works will mill you a new foot for your reels, and you can fish them now, and sell them with both feet if the time comes that you want to do so. T'aint cheap, but he's the best. The dovetail fits so tight, if wasn't for the blueing he does to the new foot, you wouldn't notice it.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I am sure you culd also get someone like Bob Meiser to redo the seat for you on the Salar with a larger one. I had him redo the cork on my T&T last year and the price is better than getting a new reel foot put on. Bob's work is second to none.

However this approach only solves the problem for one rod while a new reel foot lets you use the reel on all your rods.

-sean

·
Registered
427 Posts
Malcom, the B&W would work.....naw, your really need to throw a Salar them you would understand... elegant violence!

Philster, I spoke with Archel two or three years ago and it was about $75 I'm suprised that he has raised it that much. I talked to a couple of other "reel smiths" that said $50 ish. I guess for the $200 he is making the foot?

Sean, I have considered that as an option. I jus like keeping things the way they came, although it sounds like my best option.

Marketic, I'll agree nothing like that sound, although Grant would disapprove.

andre

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
andre said:
Philster, I spoke with Archel two or three years ago and it was about $75 I'm suprised that he has raised it that much. I talked to a couple of other "reel smiths" that said $50 ish. I guess for the $200 he is making the foot?

andre
Yes he makes a new foot and sends you the old one back too. He still charges $80 to grind down the original foot. I considered that, for about 15 minutes, but despite my disdain for collectors, I still went with the new foot...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Let me clarify I believe the other guys are shimming a new hardy foot. I guess I would ask why you have a "distain" for collectors in general?

I know a number of "collectors" that use this old stuff. I love it when I get "Wow, that looks like an old reel" from someone with a new 'wiz bang carbon fiber with magnetic drag thing" reel.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Andre,
Just post a Salar over, I'll give it a go and tell you if it comes close to the B&W 18ft powerlite I have for opening day. Now that is a big stick.

Nice 4 1/2 perfect to balance it up.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
andre said:
I guess I would ask why you have a "distain" for collectors in general?

I know a number of "collectors" that use this old stuff. I love it when I get "Wow, that looks like an old reel" from someone with a new 'wiz bang carbon fiber with magnetic drag thing" reel.
If you use it you aren't a collector, you are a fisher. If you own 20 of them and fish them, then you are a fisher "who has a thing for old reels". If you love the history and want to preserve it by finding them and securing them for yourself, good for you.

I guess I shouldn't use the blanket term collector. I don't like what Willie Gunn in the past has referred to as speculators. Buying them, locking them away in the hopes of pulling them out ten years down the road and making large profit. I almost ground the foot down as a means of protest against that behavior. Essentially removing my reels from the gene-pool. Heck, it's legal, and if someone wants to do it they have the right. I just don't have to support it or like it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't mind either the collector or the speculator, the more sitting in boxes for the next 20 year the more unigue ours become. I guess, I believe that these things need to be wrung out from time to time.

My viewpoint these are fishing tools and need to be used to be properly appreciated. I appreciate mine on an on going basis.

The PO's on my 4" and one 3 3/4" cut down the foot slightly which does diminish its value slightly, but oh the sound when you hook into a heart stopper.

andre

1 - 20 of 41 Posts