Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an 18 ft rod for some serious shooting head work on the River Tay . I will be casting from wet 2 up to 850 grain and i am looking for a rod that has enough beef to cast these lines and still not be to heavy . Does anyone have any suggestions.
:eek: Cheers

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
MacLeod 18

The Clan Macleod 18' is an 11/12 with a nice progressive action. Although it bends through the handle it has what it takes where it counts. It throws 1100 grains or so in a long belly and would do 850 in Shooting head easily. You should give Harry a call and take one for a test drive.

http://www.clanrods.com/

BTW, this one is new and not on the web site.

·
Registered
52 Posts
18 footer

Take Jacks advice on the 18 foot Macleod,you will be able to fish it all day with ease without getting tired,give Harry a call.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Hairyscotsman,
If you want to try out the 18ft rod , let me know and we can go try it out on the Spey, i will be on the river everyday until the end of September.
Cheers Gordon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
18ft rod

Hi there and thanks for your reply. I am really interested in the 18ft rod . I am fishing at stormont angling club water on the tay and a lot of the fishing will involve an overhead cast ...How does the rod perform with this cast??? I have been offered a B&W EXPERT 18FT but i think it could well be on the heavy side as it looks a beast of a rod!! I assume in comparison this is a lot lighter? I have a problem with my shoulder which tends to flare up when casting all day so i am trying to balance the power needed against the weight of the rod . Many Thanks for your help in this matter.

All the best

Richard

ps Where about are you on the spey?

·
Registered
52 Posts
18 foot rod

Gordon Ghillies in the Boat of Garten area,
I would suggest to you that if you have shoulder problems at all,the Clan Macleod is definately the rod for you,as you will be able to fish it all day without any problems whatsoever.
I suggest that you give the rod a try,if you are anywhere near Gordons area,if not and you are in the Central belt area Harry or Gordon could probably arrange for me to let you try one out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
18ft Rod

Hi Richard,
Let me know and i will arrange for you to try out the rod, or come up and have a day on the Spey, if there is a lighter more powerful FISHING rod at 18ft, show me.:devil:
Gordon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out of interest guys, what kind of weight are you talking about? 16oz?

Ive never minded the weight of a rod, more how balanced with the reel it is, in the past Ive added weight to the spool/butt if needed to make what felt a tip heavy rod into a pleasure to fish with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts