Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to 'hijack' another thread, but even using the search key didn't come up with a thread(s) on 16' rods. Or at least 9wt recommendations. (Probably just didn't put in the 'right words.)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Silly Question Mr. Evans...Meiser 16' HS rods. The 16' CND Solstice also falls into the 9wt range. However I think we might guess which direction you may choose.

William

·
Registered
283 Posts
I cast two at this years Spey-o-rama, one from Carron and one from Japan (can't remember the fellows name). Come to think of it the Japanase rod may have been a 10wt. I fell in love with the Carron and it's on my list for 2007.

-Chris

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've lost me here Leroy.

speyrd said:
Fred, Try a Green One, with a Carron you know the Ugly Green.
Leroy.........
'Bad News' William :( ..... Sandy (my yellow lab) jumped into the back of the Jeep a couple of days ago (well after dark) and one of your custom Berkie rods is now a 'four piece rod.' Sigh, will call Kerry/Rob today and see about getting a replacement (center) section. Only 'good part' is it wasn't the butt section that got 85 pounds of pooch landing on it.

Edit: just went to the Carron web site and they mention a 16 foot rod, but zero info on line weight, cost, etc.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Carron 16 footer

Fred Gwyneth and I discussed rod price while at diner at your place while in Carnation, rough guess on price 2000 and that would be in Pounds Sterling not Dollars.

Ian

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2,000 pounds STERLING??!!

WOOF! :saeek: At the current exchange rate that would be a bit under FOUR THOUSAND buck-a-roos.:eek: Way out of my league.

Lord knows I'm worth it .... but I rather doubt Joan would see it my way on this one.:tsk_tsk:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Fred,

Give the 16'1" Solstice a try and save Joan $3400 :D

Honestly, I bet MJC would send you one to try.

sinktip

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm not a fan of the CND's. Something about a big flat spot on them.

Hiroshi Okada was the rod designer I was thinking of. Maybe there would be some info on him on the Art of Spey Casting DVD. That rod was really "best in show", tons of power and very light. You didn't even notice the length.

-Chris

·
Registered
323 Posts
Scott LS2 1610

Fred you say you are looking for a nine weight, an option may be the Scott LS2 1610. Although a ten weight it is light in the hand throwing long casts with little effort.

Ian

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
speyrd said:
Fred, Try a Green One, with a Carron you know the Ugly Green.
Leroy.........
Leroy, I spell it uGLy. which Carron are you using on the uGLy 16' er?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Well, it's about time to give Fred the answer, a G Loomis Grease Liner with a 85' 10/11 Carron. 100' plus casts all day long, no problem.

Leroy...................

·
Registered
165 Posts
speyrd said:
Well, it's about time to give Fred the answer, a G Loomis Grease Liner with a 85' 10/11 Carron. 100' plus casts all day long, no problem.

Leroy...................
For those of us who own one, no explanation obviously required. Truly a princess dressed in tawdry rags. You are obviously in love when you buy a stick "in spite" of its appearance. The laughter:hihi: stops when the casting begins:saeek: .

Ramsay

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,193 Posts
The Loomis 16ft is good for way more than 100' :saeek: with the 95ft carron 10/11 or a 9/10nextcast or 9/10 Redshed special.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have a long memory!

inland said:
Fred,

Whats that...twice now??? ;) ;)

William
My old pooch (now gone) "Sheba" got one too. Interesting thing is when I called/talked to Carry he new exactly what rod I was talking about. (The customs you made.)

The problem is the Jeep Liberty is too short in side to really 'stick' a three section (butt + 2 sections together) rod into .. without playing the game of "Dog Jeopardy.":saevilw:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
8/9 or a 9/10?

sinktip said:
Fred,

Give the 16'1" Solstice a try and save Joan $3400 :D

Honestly, I bet MJC would send you one to try.

sinktip
Gad, hope this isn't one of the CND's done in a 'strange greyish colour.' Did notice that they call this rod a 8/9 in it's 'model number,' but a couple of google shops refer to this as a 9/10 line weight. Which is it?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Fred,

Your eagle eye spotted something amiss that amazes me hasn't been caught before this :Eyecrazy:. The 16'1" Solstice (dark green BTW) is a 9/10 and matches the 9/10 GPS line - the CND web-site has a misprint - the 15'2" Solstice is an 8/9 and the 16' 1" is a 9/10 - I will pont this out to Lee and Nancy asap.

As for performance, like the other fine rods mentioned the 16'1" effortlessly casts 100+ feet with CND's trademark easy casting stroke (as well, it is very difficult to find a flat spot in a traditional full-flexing rod that bends smoothly into its powerful butt :confused: ). There is no question that any of the three 16' rods - the Loomis, the Meiser or the CND will give you the performance you seek, the difference will be your preference of rod action. I believe that these all have noticeably different actions - whatever suits you is the way to go.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We Have Joy!

(Quote from the Washington Fly Forum/Spey section.)

"For the other guys - the hardcore trust funders or retirees that have limitless money and time to fish then by all means go for it, buy every rod and line it up with every belly out there, I can't wait for you to have a garage sale. It's great. But this mentality isn't doing the majority of folks any favors. Most people would be set with a summer run rod, a winter run rod, and perhaps a "big gun" and that's it. Line up the summer run with a floater, the winter run with something that will fish a tip, and the big gun with something for covering a lot of water. Not too complicated at all." (A good laugh here, but there is a lot of truth in the statement.)

A 'retiree,' and living off my 'trust funds' built up in MacDonald's Investments over the past 15'ish years. That said, when the first one kicked in the number of new rods dropped considerably. Save for someone hands you a 'new toy' and you take a half dozen casts and say: "YES!!!!"

Doesn't happen very often, but when it does the rod is something very special. AND in the "very special" department, my new 16 footer is sitting on the living room table awaiting the river flows to drop. About 2'ish years ago Bob Meiser asked me to take one of his new 'test bed' rods (with a tip one and a tip two) over to the Deschutes and give it a work-out. Dug Duncan, Leroy Teeple, Bill Siska, et. al. also ran the rod through its paces.

As for the rod, it was one of the most stunning wrap jobs I've ever seen; pure custom. Since then, the rod design has gone through at least three 'evolutions' that I'm aware of, but the beauty of this one rod has always stuck in my mind.

E-mail from Bob yesterday ... (odd thing is I was actually on Bob's web site looking at his listings when my e-mail went 'DING.') would I like to buy the rod? "Well DAH!!! Be over in about 15 minutes!" Now all I have to do is get/find an appropriate line for this BEAUTY. That said, are the latest two 'generations' of Bob's 16 footers better rods, I'd say yes, but this is THE ROD that has been in my mind for a very long time. It just took awhile for it to 'come home to Daddy.'

BLESS YOU MR. MEIZ!:smokin:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts