What do you think aboyt thes rods?

Loop Grey 16´
Sage GIV 16,1´
T&T 16´

?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
They are very different rods, meaning none of them have the same recovery rates, stiffness, or flex profile. I own the T&T 1611, which I got 7 years ago, and bought it because it was the quickest, stiffest, progressive loading 16'er that I cast when looking for a 16' rod. I use mine with a 9/10 GrandSpey line because I like long lines over the shorter ones. The T&T casts this line very well from 50' to 100'+ and maintains its nice wuick, crisp, progressive action throughout this range of distances.

The Sage 16'er is a much more tip oriented rod than the T&T, although it is also not as fast recovering nor as stiff in the tip as the T&T. The Sage has a very different flex profile than the T&T because of it proclivity to bend more quickly in the top 1/3 of the rod than the T&T. In a lot of ways, the Sage 16'er reminds me of the Sage 7141 for a big line. I don't like the way the Sage feels with the long lines, although it will cast them, it transitions right from the top 1/3 into the butt very quickly resulting in the middle 1/3 or the rod not really supporting the longer casts with the long lines. With a mid-belly line or shorter line, the Sage feels very nice, probably because it rarely needs to use the butt strength and power to cast the shorter lines.

The Loop Grey I cast only with the 10/11 GrandSpey and the line overloaded the rod. This is a fast recovering, medium to medium soft in stiffness, and progressive loading rod that is more flexible than the Loop Blue Series rods and felt somewhat like a Loop Yellow with a faster recovery when cast. It is a rod that someone who likes a powerful, medium-slow rod would most likely like.

To summarize, the T&T is the fastest with a flex profile that moves in a pretty linear fashion down the blank with increasing load. The Sage is more of a tip action rod that is a medium-fast rod with a flex profile that transitions abruptly from top to butt under high casting load. The Loop Grey is a medium-soft rod with a fast recovery rate that flexes all the way to the cork under the highest casting loads and moves the load down the blank much faster than either the T&T or the Sage.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The 'quote' below is an excellent description of the

Sage 16' rod. Many thanks for the write up; answered a lot of questions that have had me scratching my head over the past several years.

fae

" don't like the way the Sage feels with the long lines, although it will cast them, it transitions right from the top 1/3 into the butt very quickly resulting in the middle 1/3 or the rod not really supporting the longer casts with the long lines. With a mid-belly line or shorter line, the Sage feels very nice, probably because it rarely needs to use the butt strength and power to cast the shorter lines."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts