Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering is this rod more of a 8/9 or a 7/8. what is the difference between the 14 ft 3 7/8/9 and the 15 ft 7/8/9 besides length? hopefully some one can answer this question for me thanks!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Solstice 15'2"

For me the rod is absolutely a 7/8. I tried an 8/9 line on it and thought it to heavy. I think it fishes nicely with a Long Delta 7/8 floating as well as tips. I also liked it with a Delta 7/8.

I haven't fished the 14'3" model. I did sell one with a Delta Long 7/8 and the customer says it rocks.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
15'-2" CND Solstace

THe 15'-2" Solstace is definately not an 8/9. That is, unless you are thinking wind cutter or mid spey type lines. Which IMHO is a waste.

The Solstace series was originally conceived as the Grease Line series. They were designed to cast long belly floating lines. Swing, skate, wet, damp and surface flies, riffle hitches. That sort of thing. The technique that was first popularized by the late A.H.E. Wood in the book Greased Line Fishing for Salmon.

I'll probably receive some flack for this from the proponents of short rods as well as from the guys who like to shoot line. And you certainly can fish fish that way with that kind of equipment. But, what the hell,,,you could also do it with a ?*&^% spinning rod! Same as you could also drive a Ferrari to the super market. :Eyecrazy:

The 15'-2" Soltace will handle, again IMHO, a 7/8 XLT line very well. Ninety feet off the reel, + fifteen foot leader carrying a 2/0 Spey fly, without stripping & shooting line. I have heard some complain that this line feels heavy and suggest the 6/7 XLT. I have yet to try that setup. Will it throw sink tips? I suppose it would. But then again, I haven't tried.

According to Grant's theory, each extra foot of elevation at the rod tip, will get you nine feet more distance from the cast. It also applies to picking up and mending line. So, in theory, longer is better.

You may not need to reach out to extreme distances. You also may not feel comfortable swinging a fifteen foot rod all day long. Nor may you be inclined to toss 2/0 flies. If so, then perhaps one of the shorter Soltace rods may be more to your liking.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
IMHO this rod is a 'true' 7/8 that is to say the midspey, windcutter, delta, long delta, traditional, and SA short spey are all properly matched for this rod in a 7/8wt. In fact I typically didn't think of 7/8wt spey rods as being full line casting tools until I put this rod in the quiver. With a long stroke and good straightline acceleration it's fairly easy to put the albright into the stripping guides even with a short length spey head. Sean tells me the Carron 9/10 is spot-on match as well.

For extended belly lines I liked the 7/8 grandspey and XLT, but for casting more length out of the guides go down to a 6/7 (my preference).

As far as tips I have fished this rod and the 14'3" 7/8 with the 15ft type 8 tip in big water on the Windcutter 7/8/9 and found it to be a pleasure. The extra graphite on the 15'2" makes it easy to cast a hi-density tip over 100' with a long easy stroke and good straightline acceleration before the stop.

So to answer the question, the rod is a 7/8 as rated for the majority of lines and thanks to the new extended belly ratings match 7/8 in long bellies except where you want to cast the whole extended head out of the guides in which case go down to a 6/7. It casts tips in the 7/8/9 rating (e.g. Windcutter, delta) with ease and is a nice alternative to fishing telephone poles in winter and spring. Winter Solstice, Summer Solstice - either way.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
JD Jones quoted:

"Same as you could also drive a Ferrari to the super market. :Eyecrazy:"

Hey JD!

Isn't using a short rod and line for greased lining, stripping it a country mile, more like driving moms station wagon to cruise for chicks on a saturday night?

What do you think, is the Solstice 15-2 the rod you're looking for to pick-up and cast that 100 feet off the tip?

Wondering about the new Loomis 15er as well as a 15' rod Burkie tells me he can make to match up to the 6/7 XLT. :devil:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Scottd

The Solstice 15'2" is definitely a 7/8. Juro lined one with the 6/7 XLT at the Salmon River clave this last fall. This match was truly effortless with cast over a hundred feet, with little more effort than just lenghtening one's own casting stroke.

JD You'll get no flak from me on this one. I agree 100% with your thoughts on the ^*"<> spinning rod!

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I tried the 7/8 XLT on the 15'2" and it felt heavy to me. The 9/10 Carron cast
nice on it. I know what a suprise a Carron line casts nice. I heard the 7/8
Traditional is nice on it and the 6/7 XLT.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Mom's station wagon

Moose said:
JD Jones quoted:
"Same as you could also drive a Ferrari to the super market. :Eyecrazy:"

Hey JD!
Isn't using a short rod and line for greased lining, stripping it a country mile, more like driving moms station wagon to cruise for chicks on a saturday night?

What do you think, is the Solstice 15-2 the rod you're looking for to pick-up and cast that 100 feet off the tip?

Wondering about the new Loomis 15er as well as a 15' rod Burkie tells me he can make to match up to the 6/7 XLT. :devil:
No argument there. :chuckle: For me, this is as close as it gets to the Holy Grail.

A couple of years ago, some of the rod makers were saying it was almost impossible to produce a 15 foot 7/8 wt rod without it being a noodle. Now Meiser has a 16 footer, Loomis has a 15 footer, and you tell me Kerry is going to make a 15 footer for the 6/7 XLT? All this plus Spey line standards? :whoa: We are truely living in the Golden Age of Spey. :) The Sandy Clave next year is going to be a blast!

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
JDJones said:
I'll probably receive some flack for this from the proponents of short rods as well as from the guys who like to shoot line. And you certainly can fish fish that way with that kind of equipment. But, what the hell,,,you could also do it with a ?*&^% spinning rod! Same as you could also drive a Ferrari to the super market. :Eyecrazy:
But JD, don't you all fish double nymph rigs an such on the Rogue. As well as strike indicators and the like. If you want to fish a bobber and a couple small jigs, you could just as easily do it with a spinning rod. :chuckle: :wink:

·
JD
3,612 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:
But JD, don't you all fish double nymph rigs an such on the Rogue. As well as strike indicators and the like. If you want to fish a bobber and a couple small jigs, you could just as easily do it with a spinning rod. :chuckle: :wink:
I could. And one of these days, just to make waves, I may rig up a two foot long shooting long head attached to mono running line,,,,maybe even an Alvey reel. Along with one of those red & white depth control devise thingies they try to pass of as a strike indicator. :roll: But the rod definately will not be a Solstace. :lildevl:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts