Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im locking for a new floating line rod. Im mostly gonna use it to the April fishing with small flies in the river Dee . And low water fishing in the Norwegian rivers . I have cast the SAGE and i liked it . How about the two others compare to the Sage?? Any other rod advice

Any advice vere i can order the rod (blank) from USA

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
My impressions - relative to the Sage 15' #9 - are that both the Scott and T&T have stiffer butts (actually I was surprised that the Scott had a stiffer butt, yet this was 100% clear when the two were wiggled side by side).

However the Scott keeps all its power down deep, and has softer tip than the Sage, so the Scott tip recovers more slowly. It cushions very well. The T&T has a quicker tip than the Sage, but lighter with less power. Cast them all if you can. They're all quite different, all very good rods.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ozzy,
The Scottish Dee? have you thought of the B&W range miles better than a Sage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Loco _Alto
Thanks for your advice,. But i cant get my hands of them all for test casting :( Do they cast the same lines ??

WillieGun
Yeas the Scottish Dee:)
But i dident know the B&W was so mutsh better than the SAGE :tsk_tsk: I have cast with the B&W Norway 16' #9-10 It was a good rod but to powerful for wat im searshing for. It cast heavyer lines than my 15' #10 Sage traditional rod. Any idea on rod model that could fit me . The Powerlite 15 #7-9 maybe:confused:
But the B&W are 3 pice like the T&T:( 4 pice should be standard.

I got two 15' #10 rods so the rod i want must be at least one line class lighter.

I think i should try a Lee Wulf TT #8 or #9 line on the rod, who i think should be an good line for fine presentation. I have mostly fished with shooting- heads before(like most others here in Skandinavia)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone who knows anything about this one ?? Loomis GL4 15' #8-9 . I have never heard about it.. Must be old stuff :tsk_tsk:

ttp://www.customtackle.com/cgi-bin/cts/ctstore.cgi?page=loomisgl4.html&cart_id=1046371_774&partner=cts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Lines for the Sage 9150

Mine works well with a Wulff Triangle Taper 9/10 spey floating line, and a Scientific Anglers XLT 8/9 for sinking tips. Today on the Skagit River, I cast the latter to a measured 102 feet (a big yawn:eek: for many of you, but a personal best :D for me).
I haven't tried the others. The 15-foot 8/9 G. Loomis has been out of production for several years; but one magazine article described it as a "cannon" a decade or so ago. (There weren't nearly as many spey rods available then.)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey Ozzy (eller Hallå! Känner igen dig från Edgeflyfishings forum!)!

If you haven´t already, call up Lasse at Elgeco in Gothenburgh. He´s the only one who carries B&Wrods in Sweden. I´ve also been interested in the 15 foot #7/9 and he has some experience from it. Also, it pays to call B&W directly. They are extremely friendly and helpful people. I got a B&W Kola 15.3 9/11, with two tops, one 9/10 and one 10/11 and it is very sweet and powerful (I use a RIO Windcutter with that; a perfect match). The new B&W:a are very different from the traditional tip heavy too slow British rods. My rod is crisp and pretty fast with a tremendous kick and deep action. (Don´t be fooled by what the narrow-minded majority in Sweden say, try out a B&W, they are real workhorses. Just remenber to avoid the lightest reels and the balance is perfect.)

·
Registered
131 Posts
15' #9 Scott, Sage 0r T&T ?

Hi Ozzy
Before you lay out any money (if possible) give a G.Loomis GLX 9/10 14' a go, if you want a great combo try a GLX 9/10 with a Airflo Delta Long (white). A number of my friends have an like this rod/line very much. I have a IMX 8/9 15' great rod a little slower then the GLX.
Good Luck
Rick

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Like Peter already said, avoid the GL4, they were not high performance rods. I spoke to someone who works for Loomis about why the GL4's were such a disappointment compared to the IMX, and he told me they were designed as slower, less powerful, more progressive rods but that the company decided they should be marketed as high performance replacements for the IMX and sold at a higher price than the GL3's. They were not high performance rods, in fact, they were slower and less powerful than the GL3's. The GLX's were the high performance replacements for the IMX.

The GL4 were not good casting rods, were quite a bit slower than the IMX (and the GL3's), and lacked the casting authority of the IMX. In short, I thought they were awful, and as Peter also pointed out, they did not stay in production very long. Fisherman voted with their wallets and Loomis discontinued them rather quickly.

Of the three rods you mentioned in you beginning post, the T&T is the fastest, most pwerful one, the Sage is the slowest, most progressive one, and the Scott is in the middle.

They all use the same lines and all cast sink tips well. However, the T&T has the most powerful butt, the Sage the least powerful butt, with the Scott in the middle. However, the Scott is actually the most powerful of the three because the T&T has a less powerful, slower mid-section that the Scott (even though overall the T&T is the faster rod).

15 ft 8/9 IMX is a very nice lighter line 15 ft rod, unfortunately is was discontinued with the rest of the IMX rods quite a few years ago. If you can find one, you will get a nice, light line 15 ft rod.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) Thank alot for all great advice :)

Sadly the T&T and B&W are 3 pice . It fiels stupid to begin buy 3-pice rods again :(

Its between SAGE and SCOTT :) I own some SAGE but no SCOTT .
Maybe its time for a Scott now:devil:

Anybody ho nows if the green Sage 1509 is the same as the new brown one ?? .

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
Yes the green Sage is the same as the new brown one. Dage changed cosmetics to better match the actions of their single handed rod lines.

The Sage is a true 9 weight while the Scott, in my mind is more of an 8 weight. Can't tell you much about the Scott. I fished it for a week several years ago and just never liked it. The Sage is a likable but not spectacular rod. I have only fished it with an 8/9 Midspey and a 9-10-11 Windcutter. Of the two, I prefered the Midspey.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Ozzy,

The Scott 1509 is one of my favorite fishing rods. Very powerful yet not a super quick rod. I also like the T&T. It is very tippy, quick. The rods require very different casting styles is my opinion, but I fish both to learn the different casts.

What type of lines do you plan on fishing?

Greg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GPearson said:
Hi Ozzy,

The Scott 1509 is one of my favorite fishing rods. Very powerful yet not a super quick rod. I also like the T&T. It is very tippy, quick. The rods require very different casting styles is my opinion, but I fish both to learn the different casts.

What type of lines do you plan on fishing?

Greg
I normaly fish with shooting heads 12-14 meters on my rods.
But on this one i think im gonna try Lee Wulff TT #8 or #9

I tried the TT lines on the river Dee last spring and i liked them.
:)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don't know about the Sage, but I'll just say that the Scott 1509 works beautifully with an Airflo 9/10 Long Delta, so I'm not sure I'd say, with Sinktip, that it's actually an 8 wt. Different strokes for different folks, obviously. Works beautifully with 9/10 tips too. If I ever have concerns about the conditions I'll be facing (high water, wind, etc) I take the Scott. Good choices to have, I'd say.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ozzy,

If it helps at all, I have found the Wulff #9 to be my favorite line on the T&T 1509. This rod is not really all that quick and I feel it really leans more towards being the 8wt side of T&T's rod rating.

William

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ozzy,
I also really like the triangle taper floating spey lines. Their my favorites for dry line work.

I suspect a #9 or even #10 TT would be a better match for the rods your considering. These lines have looooooooooong front tapers and tend to cast somewhat "light".

I really like the TT 8/9 spey (now called TT 8) on my 8150 and 7141. I suspect the more powerful rods you're considering would better match the larger lines... but then, I haven't actually tried these combinations, so take this with a bit of salt! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts