Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started a casual search for a 15' 8wt spey rod. I would appreciate some help with options from members on here. This is not to fish skagits, but instead to throw lazy long belly lines.

My current options are:

Sage 8150 - Probably my number one choice, rarely come up for sale though, especially here in the UK.

CND Solstice 15'2" - Has caught my eye for some time, however the demise of any dealer that I am aware of poses significant limitations, especially from a manufacturer backup perspective.

B&W Powerlite 15' 7/9 - good reviews and a definite option

Beyond that my ideas are drying up. Unfortunately the likes of Meiser and Burkheimer are out of range due to budget limitations.

I have heard of 15' 8wt rods by Echo and TFO but know very little about them.

Any guidance on these and other options gratefully received.

·
Pupil of the river.
408 Posts
I've heard great things about the B&W Powerlite 7/9!

·
Registered
270 Posts
The B&W Powerlite is a great rod and so is the meiser 15' 6/7/8.
I have them both. If the Meiz and Burkie are over your budget the Powerlight is going to be some what more unless you can find a super deal on a used one.
Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
A friend and I tried an assortment of lines on his new TFO 15' 8/9 and my Meiser Highlander 15' 7/8/9. His TFO is a capable rod, but no match for the Meiser, which he immediately offered to buy (fat chance!).

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Include the Loomis Roaring River Greased Liner 15' 7/8 in your search as well. My favourite light 15 footer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I built a 15' rod on the Meiser 7/8 MKS last winter. It has become my go to rod on the Skeena while the others seem to be resting at home. :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Given that you're in the UK I would seriously consider the B&W Powerlite 7-9.

I have the Deer Creek 15' 8/9 and Meiser Highlander 15' 6/8. Enjoyed the DC, then enjoyed the Highlander even more.

...then I acquired a used Powerlite 7-9 and I rarely pick up any other rods these days (except the 16' Powerlite 9/10...)

The Meiser is a smooth casting rod. It's a nice progressive flex. Compared to the Powerlite it's soft. The Powerlite is a much more capable rod. More of a casting machine.

note: to be fair the Highlander 7/9 is a closer comparison to the Powerlite 7-9.

I use a CND GPS 8/9 on my highlander and Powerlite.

Last reason why you should consider the Powerlite is service work. Much easier shipping within your country than shipping to the US.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
520 Posts
15' 8wts....

The CND 15'2" Solstice you mentioned is a fine rod. The designer of this rod, Nobuo Nodera used to design rods for Daiwa UK. I think many of the Daiwa two-handed salmon rods from the '90ies were probably his design. It might be worth looking around the UK for a 15' Diawa Alltamoor or similar rod...CND blanks are still available from Lee Davidson at Snake River Outiftters in Idaho-208-538-7425. He's a good guy to talk to-I just bought a CND line from him two weeks ago. Google their site- I think he still has a pretty good selection of blanks in the Solstice range.
Good luck on the hunt.

Tom

·
Registered
311 Posts
Bruce and Walker Powerlite 15' 7/8/9

Another vote for the Powerlite 15' 7/8/9. I've tried many of the rods mentioned and while not running any of them down, I would suggest giving the B&W's a try.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Limited selections in the intersection of quality long rods and low price point.

If you can't afford a Meiser Highlander, TFO Deer Creek 15' 8/9 is a pretty nice rod for the price. Fit and finish is not great but the taper design is sound.

·
Registered
881 Posts
A shame, my Meiser 15' 789 went on the bay not too long ago after sitting on here for a while without an offer.
A very nice chap in the north of England (a Meiser nut) got it for a real song (a little over 300 quid).
BTW this rod throws a Carron 9/10 (800grns I think) so you may want to check the ratings carefully on rods across the pond if you really want an "8".
S

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

My current conclusions from the above and other research:

- The Meiser is a thing of beauty, but at this time is out of my budget.

- B&W Powerlite 7/9 - If I could find a used one then I would give it a go, finding a used one at a reasonable price though being the issue!

- CND Solstice 15'2" - cracking rod - zero backup (or so it seems). Would have to be going for a very keen price for me to be tempted.

- TFO Deer Creek 15' 8/9 - apparently designed by Mr Meiser, not as "smooth" as his current creations but definitely worth a go if I could find a used one.

- Sage 8150 - first choice - not that common in the UK, but appears to be a lasting classic rod.

·
Pupil of the river.
408 Posts
Burkie 8152

If you can give this one a go, check out the Burkie 8152! If you can afford a B&W, then you can afford Burkheimer!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts