Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching E Bay a long time now and can't find any DT 14 line for cutting and building a skagit line. Wondering if the belly on WF 12 or 13 lines (between the tapers) would be equivalent to the DT 14. What are the grains per foot of DT 14 lines?

·
Registered
439 Posts
The only company that makes 14 & 15 weigth line is Cortland that is in the states. You will find them listed as floating shooting heads in there 333 product line. 14 weight is 500 grains. A couple of other options are a Loop Adapted line 10/11 which weighs in a 618 grains at 36' and has loops at both ends. The RIO Scan heads might be a choice also. Use the search function for Skagit lines as there is a lot more info there.
Leroy.........................

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Moose,

I posted this in the thread on the Rods board...

If you are looking for level lines for building one of RA's Skagit Lines Aaron (Speybum) is the man to see. He has had some custom runs of level 10, 11. 12 and 14 wt lines done by Rio. As a Forum sponsor he has really responded to the needs of the members! You can reach him at [email protected] or drop in at his store River Run Angler in Carnation. I'm driving down to see him tomorrow morning!

BTW, I will be bringing all 3 models of the Spey Trackers down. I know that only 2 will be available in North America, but I have them all. I plan to be at Aaron's by 9:30-10:00 AM and hang out for a couple of hours. So if you are in the neighbourhood come on by.

I have only cast the two smaller rods - the 9'6" 4/5/6 and the 9'8" 6/7/8 with 6wt overhand lines - as I haven't built or tried speylines on these two yet - but they sure cast sweetly overhead! I plan on using them next week for rainbows in a favourite Cariboo lake.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 13-13 mastery salmon spey i could send to you for the cost of shipping plus whatever it's worth to you.. if it's worth anything at all

M

·
0 Posts
a 14# DT line rating is the weight of the first 30' of the level portion of the line. Ergo a 14# is 511gns for 30 feet, or 17.03gns per foot. The total weight of the line should be 17 times the belly length, usually 80 feet = 1362gns. Chop it in half and you should get 681gns, which will work on a 8/9 or 9/10 12' rod.
But if its a floater its going to be hellish thick for around 40'. You could do better, for line diameter by using 45 plus feet of a 12#DT floating line, it should give 570gns total. Which should fit the parameters of both 8/9 and 9/10 rods. Or a 45' 12# floating shooting head. Max

1 - 5 of 5 Posts