Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a rod in 14 ft 9/10 to add to the 13 ft 6 8/9 lamiglas i already have. casted the loop yellow 9140 seems like a great rod and the cnd custom in the same size. i feel the loop yellow was kind of forgiving to cast as i am beginner to speycasting. i liked the action is there any rods with similar actions to this rod. picked up the lamiglas 13 ft 6 1358 used but the rod was in great condition. thank for any recommendations. i have learned alot from reading the articles on this website. as far as ferrules go should i use a little parafin wax on the male ends before casting the rod or should i use tape.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
14' 9/10 Rod

The CND Expert 1409 would be a great choice. It is one sweet casting rod with a Delta Long 9/10 or a MidSpey 9/10.

As to the ferrules it kind of goes against my grain to have to tape a rod together that cost $400.00 plus dollars however I do it religiously. I would definitely tape as you will be concentrating on a lot of other things while learning. I've done a kind of informal poll of the anglers that visit my shop and a lot more of them tape than not.
As Derek Brown says something to the effect. "When the tip flies across the river, bad sign!"

·
Registered
630 Posts
Just a thought

I strongly suggest casting before buying. Some rods in the "14' 9wt" world are 8/9s and some are 9/10s--and are not accurately labeled. I have cast that CND Expert that Mike mentions, and it's a great caster.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
In addition to the Loop Yellow Series and the CND Expert Series rods that have been mentioned, Meiser also makes a very nice slower action 14 ft 9 wt. Loop also makes one in the Black Series. Diamondback makes a slow 14 ft 9 wt as well. For my money, I'd get either the CND or the Meiser. Why not test cast the CND at speybum's and drop Meiser a PM with what you are looking for, he will provide you with very good info on his on which one he thinks would be best what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Meiser too

The last time I was at River Run Angler, Aaron, AKA speybum, also had some of the Meiser rods. he may not have the exact one you want to test, but you can see the quality oor work Bob does with his rods. Bob also has a test option.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
tell me,my son

of your experience with,the emerald one,i'm interested in ALL trascending experiences:chuckle:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
scottd

I recently got a new Scott ARC 1409/4.

Last week and this past Sunday, I put it through some tough casting situations.

With the GrandSpey 8/9 floater, this has to be the greatest casting Spey rod, that I have ever cast. Simon loaned me the GS 8/9 floater to try.

It worked with regular leaders, great with 15' furled leaders, great with the tips from my GS 7/8 set.

This past Sunday, my son and I fished the Russian River. The wind was coming out of the NW from 30 to 40+ miles per hour, going down stream, river right most of the time. At times it would swirl around right at the cast or after the cast.

My Sage 7141 with a 7/8 MS with tips could not handle the wind.

So I tried the ARC with on of Fred Evans leaders, and I was casting all of the yellow line, leader, tippet and fly where I wanted in 80 to 90% of the casts.

Then, I tried a floating 15' furled leader and the sinking 13' FC furled leaders. With the same results. I then tried the tips from my GW 7/8 and all of them worked great. The most reliable one with the wind was the type 8 sinking tip with about 2' of tippet.

So, I will be keeping this ARC 9 and buying a new GS 8/9 floating line and have someone install a professional loop in the business end for all of the 8/9/10 Rio tips and furled leaders, that I have.

My son will be buying my Sage 15101 from me as this rod casts longer distances, with better accuracy and with a lot less wear and tear on this old Grampa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts