Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of trying out a SA short head(54') on a 13'8/9GLX. Will the 9/10 be too much for the rod? From what I've experianced with SA lines The 9/10 is probably a lot like the 8/9/10 WC, Am I right? I like to feel the rod load,but I don't want ot tturn it into a wet sock!
Thanks,
Twohand

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have an 8/9 on my 13' yellow line and it is very sweet. The GLX may be able to handle a 9/10. Simon recommends the 8/9/10 or 9/10/11 for that rod and SA short heads run a little heavy so it may be OK. If you can test cast the two lines on that rod somewhere before you buy, you will know for sure plus account for your own skill level and technique.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I have been using the 13' 8/9 GLX for 6 or 7 years now and prefer the 8/9/10 Windcutter, 8/9 Delta, or 8/9 SA Short Spey on it in short belly lines; however, I much prefer to use an 8/9 mid-belly or the 7/8 long belly GS or XLT on it for my own fishing.

That said, the rod very easily handles the 9/10 SA short, 9/10 Delta, and 9/10/11 Windcutter, they just load the blank more and slow it down just a tad without turning it into a turd. I simply prefer the nice, fast, crisp feel of the 8/9 lines on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts