Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13' Winston Spey rod. I was wondering if those who have fished it would recommend a particular line for it. I think I use a Rio line now. I haven't been using it much lately because the streams that I fish for steelhead are rather small. Any recommendations would be great.
Thanks,
drsteve

·
Registered
165 Posts
I fish that rod with a SA 7/8 mid head. It also handles the 7/8 short head but it is more of a long line rod. It is slightly on the slower more progressive side than many of the newer rods but it is a dream to cast if you let it do its work. It likes a nice smooth long stroke and is truly a casting rod rather than a firing rod. I find it handles the 10ft. polytips well and also the rio 12ft. type 7. I really wouldn't want to put anything heavier on it. Where it excells is as a dry line rod (really smooth).
I tried a bunch of lines on it and found that the mid head was far and away the best. The one mistake you could make is to overload the rod. It just wont take it.
Hope this helps, Ramsay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. That's actually quite helpful. You're right about the action. I've always overloaded the rod, and now I know not to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts