Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know anything but the action of this rod and what line works best on this rod.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Scott, I had one of the first 7/8 trilogy off the line. It had a maple reel seat and was a soft traditional action. Last fall I hooked a big king on it and broke the rod. Loomis was nice enough to send a new rod. The new rod has a much stiffer butt section. I was having trouble casting the 7/8 wincutter on the new rod. I tried a 8/9 wincutter and it now loads the rod nicely and am happy with it. The newer rod had a stainless steel reel seat. The loss of the king was another story. He took me down 3 riffles and I almost had him when he went over a water falls. I would love to have another crack at him. Jerry

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Scott,

This rod is a light line rod that has a somewhat stiff and powerful butt section (as Wet Fly noted). The rod is made from three different graphites, a different type in each rod section.

Its action is on the fast side of moderate, although it is not a fast rod like the GLX. The action is very similar to that of Peter s-c's 9/10 Trilogy. The rod will flex into the mid-section on most cast and has some reserve power to make longer casts if needed (by long I mean 80 to 90 feet, which is a long way for a light line 2-hander). The rod's top section is a little faster than the mid-section, which is why you will feel it flex into the mid-section on most cast. It also has a fairly fast recovery, which gives the illusion of being a faster rod than it is.

The lines I like on it are the mid-belly MidSpey or Long Delta lines in 7/8. If you like to feel the rod bend down into the butt section or rod grip when casting, use one of the 8/9 mid-belly lines.

Keep in mind this is a light line rod that was designed for floating line summer/fall steelhead that don't exceed 10 or 11 pounds in weight. It was not designed as a rod for battling big fish (as Wet Fly found out) nor was it designed for casting big flies, heavy flies, or type 8 sink tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts