Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone would have experience with using inflatables for running up and drifting down rivers.had seen a 13foot inflatable with an nrs raft frame and large oars for drifting. Not going to challenge any class 5 water but would like to run river with another friend or 2. I have a 20 hp outboad I was thinking of using. I have been running rivers is bc with my 12 ft john and 8 hp for years. Some damage done but never replaced a leg. Inflatable seems more sturdy, larger payload. New ones have inflatable keel so should handle reasonably well.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Can vouch for the NRS raft and all of their hardware. Tough, well designed and wears like a pigs nose. Great people and service too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I saw was a powered inflatable with a transom on it. He had a 15 hp outboard. The frame was just a single seat and what looked like 10 foor oars. I have run a skeg and prop guard with minimal damage. Learning new water I usually go upstream rather than down as its easier to get on step and gives you more time with your butthole un- puckered!:O

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just wondering if anyone would have experience with using inflatables for running up and drifting down rivers.had seen a 13foot inflatable with an nrs raft frame and large oars for drifting. Not going to challenge any class 5 water but would like to run river with another friend or 2. I have a 20 hp outboad I was thinking of using. I have been running rivers is bc with my 12 ft john and 8 hp for years. Some damage done but never replaced a leg. Inflatable seems more sturdy, larger payload. New ones have inflatable keel so should handle reasonably well.
Sure
There are plenty of them around and in regular use.
And have been for yrs.
Depends on the type of bottom and HP at the pump that you have on your boat, payload-wise.
Best to have some big huevos to master the Art of running bigger water.
You'll be surprised when you try to go up a drop with small HP and you glance sideways and you are not gaining ground.
Hydraulics are a tough master.

Connolly

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like fun
Wasnt planning on running anything crazy. Theres lots of water that is acessible. Just wonderimg about the pros. Cons or issues of these setups. Didnt want to buy one just to figure out all of its flaws.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Boat

I suggest keeping the power on the Jon boat and going with a properly outfitted raft. I don't think there is such a thing as a boat for all purposes.
Every time I go with ' multi purpose' options I'm disappointed across the board.
Hope that helps.
I'm in your area, why don't you pm me with the stretches of water you want to access and I'll give you my perspective.
I use a 13' raft and NRS frame, an older wooden drifter and a jet sled.
I have floated, drifted or ratted just about every river that holds trout in Region 3 and 5.
With a raft and a pump on your Jon boat you should be set for anything.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sage advice

I suggest keeping the power on the Jon boat and going with a properly outfitted raft. I don't think there is such a thing as a boat for all purposes.
Every time I go with ' multi purpose' options I'm disappointed across the board.
Hope that helps.
I'm in your area, why don't you pm me with the stretches of water you want to access and I'll give you my perspective.
I use a 13' raft and NRS frame, an older wooden drifter and a jet sled.
I have floated, drifted or ratted just about every river that holds trout in Region 3 and 5.
With a raft and a pump on your Jon boat you should be set for anything.
Every boat is a compromise at best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts