Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm hoping to establish a lineup of available 2-handed rods in the 11' to 12' range. I don't know if this range is the grey area between switch and spey, or what, but I have convinced myself that there must be some awesome little rods in there that I should know about. If anybody has experience with these rods, please contribute your comments, comparisons, rod review, grain window recommendations, whatever...

G. Loomis Native Run GLX ???

Sage 5120 ???

Sage Z-Axis 5110, 6110, 7110, 8110 I overhead cast a 7110 with a 8wt line about a week ago. It's WAY more rod than my little winston. ???

Meiser S2H117 Are there multiple versions of this rod?

Beulah 11' 6" 5/6/7 ???

Anderson Custom Rods Website?

TFO 11' 5wt ???

Scott 12' 6wt ???

Snowbee XS-P 'Torridge' 12ft #6/7

Thomas & Thomas 1107, 1206, 1208

CND 12' 2" Tracker It's only 2" over...

Loop Opti, Multi & Signature Series

Winston BIIX 11' 7wt I own this rod. It's so ridiculously light for something you would hold with two hands that it is just a blast to fish. Had a nightmare lining it up, but settled on an airflo 40+ 9wt with 35# slickshooter. Line is cut about 10-12 feet back with loops installed. Handles super-xtra fast poly leaders, t-10, etc... I can get the fly 60-70 feet from my toes using skagit-style casts. Doesn't handle heavy flies well, but might with some more line experimentation. I've landed steelhead up to 12lbs on this setup.

Hardy Swift 11'6" 7wt

Others???

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Liptugger,

Have you had a chance to cast the hardy? If you have any info, fill us in...

It looks like the hardy is a single hander. Any idea?

·
Registered
55 Posts
tfo 12/12.for the money this is a great two handed surf rod. i use a 12 weight tarpon taper and overhead cast for the most part. will really rocket the line out there.
jack

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Meiser 11' 7"

This is a great rod with surprising capability. A 6-8" trout is still interesting and a 4-5 # Kamloops or slightly larger steelhead are not too much. It has a 400-550 grain window. For trout I mostly fish from a float tube and would not want a longer rod. I use a still water #6 for most of the trout fishing. I have used a SAS #8 for trout and steelhead on the Ronde. I made a Skagit style line with Ed Ward's formula that I have used for smallmouth and one trip for coho. It would be a great rod for beach fishing SRCs. I know Ed ward has used similar rods for steelhead on the Skagit and Sauk, but he has tremendous experience at fighting big fish with light tackle. I wouldn't recommend that for everyone, but it does show the capability of the rod in the right hands.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We at Temple Forks have just released a two-handed grip for the TiCrX 9' 6,7,& 8-weight rods, which converts them into a 5-piece two-hander of 11'3" in length. You basically get two more rod sections of the same length as the 4-piece 9' sections.

With a total of six rod sections of equal length, you have both a 4-piece 9' one-hander AND a 5-piece 11'3" two-hander.

The grip is a full-size two-handed grip, basically identical in size and shape to that on the TFO 1212.

I conceived these as super-lightweight overhead casting rods, as the fast action and short length makes them devilishly hard to spey cast.

For overhead casting with the two-handed grips, you really want to upline the rod by one to make up for the lack of a double haul. For example, if you want to cast an 8-weight line, you should go with the 7-weight rod tips.

They are not on the TFO website yet, but they are available to order now through your TFO dealer, the part number is: TF 7/8 11'3" 5 piece X

If you already have a 6,7 or 8-weight TiCrX 9' 4-piece rod, you can order the two-handed handle sections only for $ 149. Or, you can order the whole rod with two-sets of grips in any of the three sizes for $ 399.

I have been fishing prototypes of this setup hard now for two-years and think they are a lot of fun for both steelhead and stripers.

Jay Horton
Advisory Staff TFO

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet. Thanks for your contributions. I haven't really done any two-handed overhead casting. I wonder how my winston would handle it?

That Meiser sounds like a cool rod. I wonder what the differences between it and the Beulah are...

2HandTheSalt- TFO also makes an 11' 5wt or 6wt, correct? Would it be appropriate for spey style casts?

Jack- Any thoughts on Port Mansfield, Texas? How's the winter fishing? Dec 1st - Feb 15th?

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Trevor, the rod I saw was the sample, not avalible till spring, it didnt have a line on it but had a great feel. Oceanside outfitters in Qualicum beach had the rod, and I am sure that Courtney there has been casting it.

Randy

·
Registered
55 Posts
trevor,
i live about 25 miles south of port mansfield but probably 50 miles by road from there. until the week before Christmas we were still in the 80's and the laguna water temps were pretty warm. things have cooled off substantially since and the snook and skipjack have probably moved up into the brownsville ship channel for the winter. there are supposed to be reds and trout all along the west side that move up into the flats when the water warms slightly. this has been the winter pattern for some years. as a result, you can probably do pretty well in the lower laguna if the weather cooperates. the recent fronts have stirred things up but when the winds shift to the southeast the bay should clear up. the fronts are really key but when things calm down you can do quite well. generally by late January things are stable. it is not my favorite season because i need waders but for you hardy northern types that is probably not a problem. some might consider port mansfield more spartan than port isabel or spi but you can access the bay from all these locations.
jack

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

Jack,
I spent a couple weeks around Thanksgiving in the spi area visiting family. Drove around looking for possible fishing ops - felt pretty much like "a fish out of water" - never even thought of looking to the salt! Kept trying to find rivers... they were either very muddy, or literally without water. Plus, it looks like every square inch of Texas has a friggen barbed wire fence around it!

Jay,
you might try a "customized" Skagit line (as in very short, 25' to 30') on one of those rods for Speycasting, just to see. Not saying it would work, but I've thrown some pretty fast, shorter rods with very short Skagit lines - to be specific a couple of Meiser's 10 1/2' switchers - and done very well with them in a Speycasting capacity. You are right that the shorter and faster a rod is, the more challenging it is to cast! But man oh man can you fish some TIGHT spots with them!

·
Registered
170 Posts
2Handthe Salt??- if I get you right TFO has converted a lets say ...9'/4pc SH to a 11'3" 5pc DH that works??? But not as a spey rod, overhead friendly only!!!!.

Not sure I get this but..."if you want to cast an 8-weight line, you should go with the 7-weight rod tips." So if I want an 8 wt DH rod I get the 9' 7wt and the 7 wt DH conversion/4 piece to 5 piece add on, and I would have an 8 wt DH overhead double hander???? .

To be honest my rubiks cube and lego are making more sense:)))

Will

·
Registered
91 Posts
The T&T DH 1006, 1107, and the 1206 are quite a bit slower than the rest of the T&T double-handers. I did have the DH1107 as it had a very deep parabolic action to it,not a rod for overhead casting. I also have a T&T Horizon 1107 which is a single-handed rod which is a fast, somewhat stiff blank but can really throw the line. This rod when it first came out was in a "switch" configuration but T&T later changed it to the standard full wells grip with a fighting butt.
The Loomis GLX 11'6" 8/9 switch rod is fantastic. It is unbelievely light in hand and it could be casted single-handed fairly easily. For overhead casting a #8 or #9 single-handed line (SA or Rio salmon/Steelhead line) or a #9 Rio Outbound.A Rio Windcutter in the 6/7/8 makes an excellent Spey line.
Another rod you might want to check out is the Loop Blue 11'2" 7wt., especially now as you"ll probably get it for a good price as Loop has changed thier product line.
I'm waiting on a Meiser 12'6" 4/5/6 Highlander to be built.

·
Registered
201 Posts
prairiespey said:
2Handthe Salt??- if I get you right TFO has converted a lets say ...9'/4pc SH to a 11'3" 5pc DH that works??? But not as a spey rod, overhead friendly only!!!!.

Not sure I get this but..."if you want to cast an 8-weight line, you should go with the 7-weight rod tips." So if I want an 8 wt DH rod I get the 9' 7wt and the 7 wt DH conversion/4 piece to 5 piece add on, and I would have an 8 wt DH overhead double hander???? .

To be honest my rubiks cube and lego are making more sense:)))

Will
You are not confused at all Will, you understand it exactly correct.

It will certainly cast a 7-weight line as well, but it is brilliant with the 8.

And I am not saying it is impossible to spey cast, but these are very fast rods.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Trevor said:
2HandTheSalt- TFO also makes an 11' 5wt or 6wt, correct? Would it be appropriate for spey style casts?

Again, thanks.
Yes, Trevor, there is an 11' 5-weight with a small removable lower handle. This rod will spey cast fine, but you need to upline by 2 or 3 with a standard WF fly line.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Riveraddict said:
Jay,
you might try a "customized" Skagit line (as in very short, 25' to 30') on one of those rods for Speycasting, just to see. Not saying it would work, but I've thrown some pretty fast, shorter rods with very short Skagit lines - to be specific a couple of Meiser's 10 1/2' switchers - and done very well with them in a Speycasting capacity. You are right that the shorter and faster a rod is, the more challenging it is to cast! But man oh man can you fish some TIGHT spots with them!
RA you may be right about that. So far, I have had my best results spey casting them with a Rio Outbound line, uplined by 2 or 3 line-weights.

·
Registered
55 Posts
riveraddict,
unfortunately, this is basically a coastal desert and it is dry. even drier than usual this past year. salty water is probably the best bet but check out the resacas (old rio grande channels). some of them are quite accessible to kayaks and canoes, although i don't publicize it much. do mind the alligators,however. Some of those fences are to keep cows in rather than just to keep anglers out but it helps to know the system.

trevor,
i do have a t&t 1208 that i like in the bay. since my accident it has become my rod of choice but i've never put a spey line on it. with an 11wf it casts quite nicely overhand. its a pretty fast rod but the 11 weight loads it well and the rod will handle pretty big fish. i guess this makes me something of a spey radical but this approach has let me fish again.

twohandthesalt,
if i read your posts correctly these new tfos are basically rated for spey lines and using regular weight forwards, as i do, requires overlining. is this correct?
i'll never use the rods in the single hand configuration since i can't do so without pain. can one just buy them in two hand models only? this disabled angler wants to know.

jack

·
Registered
201 Posts
No Jack, these rods are rated according to AFTMA standards for WF fly lines, not spey lines.

If you eliminate the double haul, you will generally find that you need to upline a rod by one to load it fully.

Which is not to say that you can't cast the rated line, but trust me on this, one line up is better.

To my knowledge, you can't get the combo without the single-handed grip. I hadn't actually even thought of that before you asked....

·
CaneRods
6 Posts
Trevor -
I make and use 12' cane rods, both ferruled and spliced models, for all my summer-run steelheading. The Rio MidSpey lines work well and I can put my fly out 110' with a spey or double-spey cast, although my usual fishing distance is 70 - 90 feet. The rods are slower than graphite, and very pleasant to use.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts