Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question for the old guard who used to fish with single handers for steelhead. I've got a 10ft 7wt IMX Pro and I'm curious which click reel would balance nicely on such an outfit? I was hoping for a Bougle but I'm unsure there's an appropriate size.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
St.Aiden at 6 oz empty might be a nice fit with plenty of volume.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hardy Marquis 8/9, SA System 8. I fish the Marquis with a Rio Steelhead taper, balances perfectly and has the capacity to hold the long head of the steelhead taper.

·
Registered
338 Posts
3 3/4 Bougle would work, they're much more geared toward single handers or trout spey sized setups as the diameter is measured to the end of the pillars. I agree with others and I actually just had my Sage SP 7100-3 and was playing the reel balance game, St. Aidan, Perfect 3 5/8, Zenith, Sage 509 / 508, St. John, St George 3 3/4 all would work well. I think my fav is the Perfect, Aidan and Zenith

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have a marquis salmon No. 1 (New one) on my 10’ #7 HBX that I use for atlantic salmon. It is a perfect match in every way. It is a quite narrow so the arbour is not that small either. It has a full frame so it suits shooting heads, and the polished rim makes it possable to really slow down a fish, with maximum precision and feel, much more that a perfect or lightweight reel can. THE reel in my opinion, can’t really say enough good about it. The 3 1/2 bougle is probably a tad heavier than listed (i have a 3 1/4 and the weight for the spool (or faceplate, can’t remember) and frame is right, but with the faceplate it is about 150 grams, not 116 as listed) so it might balance a 10’ and some thin gel spun might give it enough capacity.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I've got a question for the old guard who used to fish with single handers for steelhead. I've got a 10ft 7wt IMX Pro and I'm curious which click reel would balance nicely on such an outfit? I was hoping for a Bougle but I'm unsure there's an appropriate size.

Cheers.
Of the Bougles A 3 3/4" Bougle is optimal. Capacity wise. A Salmon Bougle is fine also. I've used it on single handers rods without issues. It's just more spool capacity than needed for a standard 7/8 weight line.

Marquis Salmon No1, St. John, Zenith, Husky...

Capacity is where its at. "Weight balance" isn't as critical on a single handed rod in my opinion.

·
Administrator
17,801 Posts
I've used a 4" Bougle on my 10ft 8wt with no issues. I also used a 4" Hardy Ultralite Salmon with no issues, both of these reels are around the 8oz mark I believe ... the Ultralite a little less.
I have a Hardy Viscount MKIII 9/10 on route to replace the Ultralite, basically it's the G&P version.
I was considering the Golden Prince 8/9 or 9/10 as well. The St.John is a nice option.

Mike

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with capacity for sure. For me balance is also important, having too light of a reel (which is the current case) makes the rod tip super heavy and leads to fatigue on my wrist.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I agree with capacity for sure. For me balance is also important, having too light of a reel (which is the current case) makes the rod tip super heavy and leads to fatigue on my wrist.

The argument most people use when the fatigue is with CASTING all day is that it is the moment of inertia about the grip point that is responsible for that when using a SH setup, and this can only be only lowered by lowering the total weight of the reel as much as possible. There is no balancing that helps with that.

But if you are clear that the fatigue for you is mostly due to holding the rod tip up counter to gravity while you are SWINGING then perhaps there is a counter balance issue to consider. But it may be hard to figure because you will be adding to your casting fatigue with more total weight.

I think most people when they claim they experience fatigue from using a SH rod all day mean from casting and mending (repeatedly accelerating the rod tip by rotating your wrist), and so counter that with lowest TOTAL weight, which is the knee jerk rule for SH rods. That is the main reason that low total weight of the rod itself and low “swing weight” (identical to moment of inertia) tend to be such valued specs for SH rods. But lots of swinging time might present Interesting issues to the equation.

Also, don’t forget the mental fatigue and suffering caused by not using the sexiest reel possible! :cool:

·
Fishes with Wolves
390 Posts
Another vote for the 3-5/8" Hardy which I used on a Sage 7100 RPL for years. I've now mounted a 3-1/2" wide drum Young on my ten footer.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I could be wrong, I don't think a heavier reel will help much to counter-balance the tip. Single handers usually do not have long enough fishing butt or lower handles that place the reel further back enough to do so and seems that it would require far too big a reel to make much difference in that regard.
Just from experience, with single handers I prefer the feel of weight ( from a reel) to be close to and directly behind my hand where it feels more steady while casting. It actually does the least to counterbalance the tip this way.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I could be wrong, I don't think a heavier reel will help much to counter-balance the tip. Single handers usually do not have long enough fishing butt or lower handles that place the reel further back enough to do so and seems that it would require far too big a reel to make much difference in that regard.
Just from experience, with single handers I prefer the feel of weight ( from a reel) to be close to and directly behind my hand where it feels more steady while casting. It actually does the least to counterbalance the tip this way.
That might be due to the decrease in the component of the moment of inertia due to the reel. The level arm is short, but the weight is significant and the percentage change in the level arm for the reel could be noticeable. Probably not to me, but to someone who feels comfortable with the adjustment, and is sensitive to it.

I recall noticing at the time in an old video of Bill Schaadt that he reeled in virtually with his whole hand AROUND the heavy old reel he was using. OK maybe not “around” but he had it gripped as far back towards the seat as was possible, and only with his thumb and index finger flush against the reel. It struck me as unusual at the time. I’d have to check to see where his hand was when casting, but I guess I could see doing it that way might sometimes feel more comfortable. Maybe just to stretch your hand after SH casting that thing all day?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts