Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a quick question. Which rod would you prefer for throwing heavy tips and monster flies. I was digging around the shop today and knew I had an old Graphite III 10150-4 but started really digging and found a 10151-4 (brownie) that I never knew we had.

I have heard that the 10151-4 is a rocket but is a bit soft and is a better rod for dryline work. At the same time I have heard that 10150-4 is a better rod as it throws heavy tips very well, yet as a noodle.

I was curious as I would like to grab one of these rods before they sell...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ryan,

The 10151 brown finish is the sweetest casting rod I've owned. However. I broke it 3 times before I got the green version. I broke it once using a tip and twice with a dry line. Short evaluation - an awesome rod - when it stays in 4 pieces ... keep away. The 10150 on the other hand a serious big water rod that will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I love my 10150-4 for big river work... it throws tips and accellerator tapers with authority - not too limber, not too stiff.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Touch choice, very tough!!!! :confused:

It seems that the 10150 may be more designed towards large flies, heavy tips and big water while the 10151 is designed more for big water dryline work...is that an accurate assumption?

Thanks!!!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Ryan -

I'll have to defer to others for that question; I don't have experience with the 10151 like Tyler, Dana, etc.

If Tyler likes it, that says a lot!

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,791 Posts
The 10151 is awsome , but you will have it break sometime and it will be on the ferrule of the handle section, its pretty much a gaurenteed thing. It is also somewhat of a technical rod in that you will need to know how to cast well before being able to use the rod to its potential, the 10150 is far more forgiving and you will learn much faster, and the rod will cast a mile without being an expert. Have fun either way!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ryan,

I have to concur with Bruce, the 10151 is a bit more "technical" and it IS a breakage waiting to happen!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ryan,

If you have the extra pull at Sage and have a back up then consider the 10151 knwing it will break. Mine is in again 5th or 6th time. Sweet rod but a breaker, Sage repair (PJ) told me they are going to replace the rod (again). We will see they claim only minor changes from the earliest blanks and they fixed this issues, we will see. Brain mentioned that comparing the old brownie and the green (Kush's) there are visable differences. Kush has confirmed the cast differences between the two. Believe me I am going to scream loud and long if this is not replaced with a new rod.

10150 is my back up and I don't think you can break it.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I broke 'em both!!!

The 10150 after about 4 days on the water, and a 10151 after about 4 casts! Both went in the butt section, the 10151 at the ferrule. After I got the bottom of the 10150 replaced I have fished it without incident since 1995 or 1996.

The original 10151s were some of the sweetest casting rods Sage ever made, but there was just too much "Mission Impossible" in them ("this rod will self-destruct in 5 seconds...") so I never had the confidence in them to buy one myself--I just borrowed (and broke) everyone else's!

BTW, another great old Sage was the 10150-3! I cast one in the late 90s and really liked it--similar feel to the 10150-4, but quicker, a real cannon.

But I concur with beau--I mostly fish rods under 15ft these days and love 'em.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got the new 10151 yesterday and as Sage promised this time it has been replaced. From what I've heard this later design blank does not have the problems the earlier blanks. I must give a hats off to Sage for the customer service.

However, I prefer the brown of the old blank from a "looks" persective, and the build quality was much better than this one but, if it don't break...

andre

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I swished some-one else's 10151 back and forth horizontally, I swore I could almost see/feel sort of a flat spot or stress point at the first ferrule.. it was almost like the ferrule was too close to the cork with only a short section of the blank between that was able to flex freely. I have a feeling if they built the same blank as a three piece it might solve the breakage problem. Sheer speculation but I've (very) occassionally been correct about some things before (at least in my own mind, so-called friends say)

Poul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts