Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q1:

Has anyone lined their Sage brown 10150-4 with a 10/11 mid-spey yet? I am considering a new line for the rod, currently using a windcutter length head. I plan on getting the mid-spey floater and cutting it myself.

Q2:

Anyone try the Accelerator/Windcutter upgrade for 9/10/11?

Q3:

The notion of a very long Spey head is attractive, but the power hinge on the Accellerator raises some questions... the loop configuration on the versitip shows the loop connection behind the hinge... has anyone cut a floater to use sinktips (measurement)?

thanks
Juro

·
Registered
465 Posts
Juro,
I use this rod for bigger water. But since I don't use any of the rio lines, I can't answer your actual questions.

I can say the Mastery Spey 10/11 works well with this rod with tips. I cut mine 17 feet from the tip and splice loops.

I use a DT for a full floater with this rod. DT 10 or 11 depending on the distance I'll be casting.

Works for me,
pescaphile

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Juro,

While I do not fish the 10150 I have cut the 10/11 Accellerator for use with tips. It must be cut behind the power hinge, I believe it is 17' from the tip. It is easy to find, go up the line from the power hinge to where it is again the thickest - cut it here and put your loop. I have 2 of these cut here and they cast tips like crazy. For my 10151, I do not appreciate the resulting shorter line which leads to more stripping than I want to do, so I add a 15' piece of level belly from an old DT. I add my tips to this and it is great. In fact with the 10151 I leave this piece in when I put the floating tip back on.

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love this board! :D

Very excellent replies...

a) What tips can the Mastery Spey handle cut back 17'? I prefer to use full floaters of course, but when necessary I prefer to use a line weight down 18' type 4 for deep work and 12' same line weight type 2 and 3 for moderate depths and tailouts. I have been contemplating 20' line weight down type 4 for winter steelheading. Will this handle it?

b) Kush, thanks for the confirmation and the 15' addition makes a lot of sense. I assume you mean I should cut it right behind the hinge; I'll be trying that out for sure. If I can cast it 50% as far as you I will consider it a success!

c) Thank LS for the TT recipe offline - I really appreciate it. Doublespey uses that line and I am totally impressed with how he sails it out there. The long continuous taper clearly lets him work a wide range of casts from both sides effectively.

I have experience with aggressive head systems, windcutter, and DT but nothing in between. Either strip-strip mania or no shoot. I am ready for a l-o-n-g belly Spey with a little shoot capability in reserve and minimal stripping.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I use 9 wt tips on the Mastery 10/11 spey with good success. I loop on either the pre-fab 15' Rio models or ones I've cut up from shooting heads or old fly lines.

I use an 18' 9wt type IV with no problems whatsoever. The heaviest tip I use is a type 6 Cortland 9 wt at 20 feet. I'm confident that this rod and line could throw a heavier tip (say a 10 wt) but these work for me and I really don't need anything more than that Cortland tip.

Of course I throw a roll cast at the end of the swing to get these tips up top to began my single or double spey.

pescaphile

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Juro

Kush is right about the Power hinge on the Accelerator, it is 17 feet from the tip. So if you are going to cut the accelerator at all for attaching tips, you want to cut it 17 feet back.

Have fun.

All the best
Simon Gawesworth (RIO products)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I fish a MidSpey 9/10-tips on the 1015-4. It seems to be a good balance between loading short and not overloading on a long line. Great line Simon, but wish the body was longer. I know it wouldn't be a MidSpey then, and I know you guys like to strip and shoot, but I just hate fishing a long line with thin running line between my fingers.

Playing around with lengthening the belly by splicing on to it, or by adding the WindCutter Upgrade to it. Any thoughts Simon, on making a long-belly line like a 80 to 90 foot MidSpey or an Accelerator tip version without the power hinge?

Like fishing heads on a DT with most of the front taper cut off, but you can't beat the loops on Rio lines.

Ray.

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Ray

Very interesting points you raise.

I do know a few casters who use the upgrade in the MidSpey. This lengthens the head to around 82ft and a weight of about 800 grains - which is the same grain weight as the Accelerator 9/10, though about a 7' longer head (and without the power hinge). The down side, of course, is that the upgrade is yellow and the MidSpey is Tan, so you end up with some funky colour scheme that you can recognise anywhere!

It is too early to say anything yet, but we are working on a new line which you will like (judging by your comments) Jim and I are testing a number of tapers to find the best one for what we have in mind and then we will seed a few out.

I guess, just keep watching this site!

Thanks for the note on the loops. That is one thing we will not change!!!!

All the best
Simon

:smokin:

·
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the clarification Simon, et. al. - I will be filling the gap between the DT and short Spey heads soon with your advice.

Although it's really tough to switch back and forth, I like certain aspects of both extremes and hope the middle ground is the compromise I am dreaming of.

Juro

·
Registered
96 Posts
one of the guys I fish with on van.isle just purchased both optoins you talk about here, a mid-spey 10/11 and the accelerator upgrade for the windcutter 10/11/12 and he is very pleased with the preformance the lines have given him. he is pleased to the extent of purchasing yet another 10/11 mid-spey. Most of the fishing he is doing is on the larger rivers there with sink-tips but he is much happier with these lines than the mastery 10/11 he was casting before. It would appear to be a good choice

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
Upgrade

Juro,

I have one of the beta versions of the Acelerator Upgrades that I fish with the WC 9-10-11 on my 10150-4. In my opinion, it is too much for the rod if you are throwing tips. The 10150-4 leans towards the traditional side of the spectrum anyway and this setup really makes it mushy. It does cast a floater like a cannon though with the upgrade. No input on the mid-spey but I would think you are better off going with an actual Accelerator.

Duggan

·
Registered
427 Posts
Juro,

I have an Accl cut at 17' (by recollection), I'll let you give it a shot if you like before you make your purchase. I also really like the Mid Spey, but feel the belly is short (on longer rods). Although, I find the 65' belly about right for my 12'6" Diawa. Generally I enjoy casting longer belly lines (particularly dry lines). I am looking forward to the newly marketed long belly lines by SA (no affiliation).
--
André

1 - 12 of 12 Posts