Spey Pages banner

10% of Anglers Catch 90% of Fish - Here's Why

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Botsari 
#1 ·
The most productive anglers spend the majority of their time in high productivity water and have learnt to reduce time in water with lower potential. The key is being able to identify the most productive piece of water and know which water can be fished through quickly in search of the next piece of high potential steelhead real estate.

Here are Pesqa's tips for finding and successfully fishing prime steelhead real estate:

- See more at: https://www.pesqa.com/blog/10-anglers-catch-90-fish-heres-why#sthash.4ztdirlW.dpuf

Sam Franklin

www.pesqa.com

#9 ·
All the points in that blog were accurate. But after hunting and fishing for just a few years I believe the #1 reason is this:

Serious anglers (or hunters) are by far the most successful.

1. They fish more often.
2. They fish when the timing is best and not just because it aligns with their days off work.

By doing those two things guess what happens? They learn all the points in the blog. They understand their quarry, the current conditions, and then match their gear and methodology to give them the best chance of success.

Bottom line: While you can gleen good information from reading internet forums and watching youtube videos. Nothing but nothing compares to real time on the water!

#13 ·
I dunno...if casting is so unimportant, why is so much effort put into the importance of casting? Does the fly magically transport itself from your box to the fishes target window?

My pops always says its a lot easier to do it right the first time than go back and fix it later. If you make the right cast for the situation, seems to me a lot better than spending much of the swing compensating or fixing it.

If you only effectively cast 40' to get efficient accuracy and turnover...best to stick to 40' when fishing and stop trying to hit 60' and fix each swing. Rivers are often more bountiful this way. Then you can start to learn how to fish the pools described in the first blog post.

If you think you can mend yourself out of a poor casting, please challenge yourself to fishing hitched wets. You will very quickly learn how much water is being wasted by simply NOT getting the fly to land on a taught leader. Think you are exempt from this when fishing a wet on a floater or sink tips? Wonder why the thread from a month or so back showed so many being far more successful on the last half of their swing and not the first half?

All things being equal, having seen this for nearly 2 decades on my favorite river, where we are all pretty much fishing the same pools days after day. What is the one constant to the few (the 10%) that are catching fish from these very same pools vs. those that go without? Luck? Holding one's mouth just right? Nearly always the better the caster the more fish they pluck from these heavily fished pools. Its almost like magic how a pool that was empty of fish the last three hours suddenly gives up 2 or 3. Right in the middle of the day after the dawn patrol just pounded the pool to death and had one half assed grab. Same floating line. Same general presentation. Hmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.