Spey Pages banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By now you should be moving well along with you "wrong handed" casting. How does it feel? If you are anything like me it probably felt really awkward for a long while and then slowly felt better. After a month of casting you should now be somewhere along the continuum of making the odd ok cast to feeling pretty ok on your wrong side. Keep at it for another month, working on one cast until you master it (and we'll call "Mastery" at this point the ability to make comfortable fishing length casts on a consistent basis), then adding another of your favorite casts. For now, don't try to do backhanded off hand casts--for example a reverse double Spey off you wrong side. Instead, stick with a combination like the single Spey and the Snap-T. Later, when you feel really comfortable with those two, you can try adding an off shoulder reverse cast.

Here are my goals for 2006:

1) master an excrutiatingly slow casting sequence while maintaining absolute loop control.

I found that one fo the most useful things I can teach casting students is to slow everything down. Too often I see Spey casting efficiency and control hampered by a rapid casting stroke. Speed that is applied in the wrong placed greatly reduces power and efficiency because it interferes with good rod loading and often introduces slack into the system. Since unintentional slack is the enemy of all good casting, we want to avoid it at all costs. Next time I'll detail the process involved in slowing down the casting cycle and keeping slack to a minimum.

2) smooth out my V loops

As with overhead casting, loop control is a sign of Spey casting mastery. And just as we can have complete control of our loop size and shape on both the backcast and forward cast of the overhead, so too can we have control of the backcast (DLoop/V Loop formation) during the Spey cast. A smooth, wave free and tight V loop is a key to casting effortless forward loops.

3) gain an understanding of the "Ness Style"

I think the next big interest area for two-handed casters is the so-called "Ness Style" exhibited by some of the contemporary tournament casters from Scotland. Since I like to keep current with the latest and greatest in Spey casting, and since the casting method is just so absolutely killer, I want to learn as much as I can about the Ness Style. This style seems to incorporate 3 important variations from other contempoary Spey styles:

a) the initial lift

b) the low, sideways V loop

c) the very long and circular casting stroke

In order to gain some proficiency with this style I will need to break up some muscle memory similar to what I had to do when learning the underhand cast. And as I learned with the underhand, the only way to achieve this is to break it down into discrete steps, learn each in "isolation", and then begin to blend them together. Since the circular delivery stroke is something I'm already familiar with from my classic Spey casting days, I will focus on the initial lift and the low V loop.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts