Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been 1 year since the speypages has been running on its own server. Things are going well but I wanted to solicit the members as to what improvements they would like to see on the site.

I will be launching the new website in a couple weeks which will help organize all the info on the website so it will be easier to navigate. Plus it will be nice to have a new look.

So what else would you guys like to see in 2006? I had talked about a line testing service ala Netflix where members can check out lines to test on their rods. Is this something I should pursue with the line mfgs? I bet I could get demos or at least deals on sets of lines we can make avail to you all.

Let us know your thoughts and ideas,

-sean

·
Banned
974 Posts
Videos. Casting, Fishing, Fly Tying, etc. They can be password protected to permit only contributor's to access.

River Pics. Pics and descriptions of the major steelhead and salmon rivers. Not a how to fish this river article, but pics that highlight the beauty and the uniqueness of the rivers.

Tackle Review with Blogs. Have the ability for readers (either public or contributor's) to make comments, give line recommendations, etc.

Rogue's Gallery. Any area where board members can post pics of their home waters, etc. I suspect that rod and line recommendation would make more sense if we knew the water that the commentator normally fishes.

Picture Hosting. Adding a picture hosting program like Coppermine or PhotoPost PHP.

Chat room. Adding a chatroom for both scheduled and unscheduled chats. With the chat room you can invite some of the Jedi's to answer questions, etc.

Just some thoughts,
David

P.S. - I like the new vBulletin version a lot. Nice spell check feature.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photo post is coming in another month or so. They have some product review software as well that looks interesting but I think I can write something better that will be more applicable to the many facets of spey rod, line and reel matching.

Chat is also installed and Dana and I are thinking about the best way to integrate it as well as moderation.

As far as the great lakes forum I am not against it but I also am curious as to the need. We do not have boards for PNW, Canadian Maritimes, British Isles, Scandanvia, etc. Do people really feel it would be worth splitting up the community that way? In the end we are all just spey casting which is what this site is focussed on. It all comes down to the same fundamentals and casts. I am open to a discussion on it though and can be swayed either way.

keep em coming,

-sean

·
Registered
947 Posts
sean said:
Well it has been 1 year since the speypages has been running on its own server. Things are going well but I wanted to solicit the members as to what improvements they would like to see on the site.

I will be launching the new website in a couple weeks which will help organize all the info on the website so it will be easier to navigate. Plus it will be nice to have a new look.

So what else would you guys like to see in 2006? I had talked about a line testing service ala Netflix where members can check out lines to test on their rods. Is this something I should pursue with the line mfgs? I bet I could get demos or at least deals on sets of lines we can make avail to you all.

Let us know your thoughts and ideas,

-sean
I, for one, would whole-heartedly support a line testing service. I, for example, have had a very difficult time finding the appropriate line for my Winston BIIx 11-foot 7-weight. I still haven't found one I really like. If it were not for the GL Claves, I would have spent almost $200 more than I have trying to accommodate that rod (and my less than beautiful casting stroke). While sponsors like the RedShed Fly Shop are most helpful in their willingness to send out demos (I was talking about demos with Mike earleur today) a website supported program would likely be able to make a greater variety of lines available.

My $0.02.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Sean --

I realize we have the section call " Fish Politics and Conservation”, however I would like to see a special section for "environmental alerts". There are always issue which a very important to all anglers, like Skeena River Farms or logging near a river with threatened wild stock, regardless if this is pertinent to US or Canada. We always should maximize a public pressure as much as possible.
Such an alert could be requested by any member for consideration of the board and can show up on as needed basis.

Salmo

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sean
I wouldn't like the board split into regional ones. I like hearing all the different tactics, seasons, equipment, etc, etc. . . . plus I think we learn more and share much more as a community when we're all together.
Bill

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am excited about the photo section. I agree with Sean that a GL section may not be a great idea. The reality is that spey is relatively new to the GL's. Most of the experts out there are in the PNW and where Atlantics swim. I think that many of them would be less likely to pay attention to posts on a dedicated GL's forum.

Gillie

·
Registered
81 Posts
News of the day!

Sean

I know this is going to sound funny but like most of the paid members I wake each day to read the PAGES instead of my local paper.

Could we have something that looks like the morning issue? every other day or third or fourth.

Tom Hill

·
Registered
121 Posts
Line To Rod Data Is Killer !

Though still relatively new to the site, one of the great initial benefits I was gifted was a spread sheet matching lines to rods, ( Peter S G was the source I think ). I know RIO has done this to a limited extent as well. Not sure who would do this, but a master spread sheet of this nature continiously updated would be a hell of an asset; especially for those looking at that first spey casting outfit.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I like the ideas mentioned above. A chat room would be very cool, especially for organizing events. I think its pretty good other wise, I usually check "the pages" before I check my email at work each morning.

Maybe install a breathalizer on VooDooFlys desk so he has to blow before he can type :hihi: ?

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Rods/Lines

I appreciate that folks want to be able to look up the correct line for a rod and buy it. The problem is there is no correct line for any rod. It depends on the caster and what they want to do. What Speypages could do is post the rods with the grain window as specified by the manufacturer for each rod. This is something Meis has done right and the big boys ignore. Then at least iffyou buy a line in the the weight window it will cast. Itr still may not be the right line for you based on your requirements or style but at least it will work on your rod. There is no substitute for an experienced dealer who can help you choose the correct line for you and your rod.

Great dealers already provide this service as well as demo lines for their customers and personalized service to fit lines to rods.

I agree not to split up by region. Maybe use software to be able to display by region if that is what you wish as a user.

Maybe in 2006 Speypages could invite/sponsor folks like Mikael Frodin or Leif Stavmo or Trond to come by and put on demos which could be video taped and made available on the site.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well a few shops I can think of can do the rod/line matching and demos but they are few and far between. The ones I can think of are all sponsors which is a good thing but in places like the east coast this kind of info can be hard to come by. Especially when you look at all the rods and lines out there no one shop can cover them all. This is not the shops fault , there is just too large a selection. This is where I think the speypages can bring it all together.

The rod/line matching tool would be to do what you are asking for. Create grain windows for rods out there. All members of the site could review rods and choose what lines they like on the rod. We can collate all this information to create a grain range for the rods in question. Also reccomend other lines comparable in length/grain weight that others have used on the rod.

Would it be perfect...probably not but it could be more than enough to get someone started with a new rod. Of course any equipment purchases would hopefully go through our sponsors and it is planned to have next to each rod and line the names/links to the shops that carry those products. Should be a win all around.

I think I have my original database schemas around and will start writing this in the new year. Through a collaborative process with members, shops, and manufacturers would could be able to put together quite a resource.

-sean

·
Banned
974 Posts
I would add the Midwest to the East coast for areas where there are slim retail spey pickings. Some shops carry one or two spey rods and an odd Windcutter line, most don't have any spey products at all. There are very few shops which like and promote spey. What makes this site special is the ability to read about all sorts of different techniques, rods and lines. Once the information is distilled, it either reinforces our own fishing patterns or gives us new tackle and techniques to try.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Out East

For those of you in the East don't forget Tight Lines in NJ. Andrew knows what is going on with all thing Spey.

For those without that Ace up your sleeve I am always available vi email or telephone to help you dial in your systems. My loaner prrogram extends to mailing lines all over the world, you will not be the first or the farthest.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I think what I'd really like to see is a very user friendly live chat like you find on the Fly Anglers On Line website. It would be nice to be able to log on and talk with a group of enthusiasts at once. I think some really interesting and productive discussions would ensue.

Another thing I'd like to see has to do with the following: This spey casting and fishing sport is really taking hold and inventing itself as it grows. I'd like to see an area (a regular forum or guest chat section) where actual reps, distributors and management of the big companies are invited in to hear our praises and complaints, needs and wants, and respond. I've seen several circumstances where the evolution of a product has wandered from the practical and productive straight into the "designed to sell" and "Evolved right into useless". I know that if Meiser and Burkheimer hear my comments they are actually heard and considered. I doubt that I could get S.A, Airflo, Sage, etc to actually hear what I have to say becuase of all the channels I'd never make it through.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lots of brilliant ideas for the future posted here. Mine is simple....can we manage a line of welcome mentioning new members by name? Perhaps underneath the birthdays section.
Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts