Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting there.
P6084475.jpg
Going a bit more robust over all with this one in hopes of really pissing-off a fish for someone.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Great tying and fly!!! Might to give that one a go.

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
Lovely fly

I really like that fly - but for some reason (perhaps because you hadn't finished the head yet) I think the head finished with a half dozen wraps of copper wire would really set it off. My trout fishing days made me a fan of copper wire, from pheasant tails to copper johns. Just a thought.

·
Administrator
19,098 Posts
The Killarney & Tay is a favorite fishing flee for me as well.
Something about the iridescence of the Ringneck section against that dark turkey wing and the POP of the wood duck tail against the subtle earthy tones of the body and hackle .... :smokin: :smokin:

Outstanding work Vic as usual !!

Mike

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike - I couldn't have put it better. I'd be stoked walking into a run with a box of nothing but K&Ts and Lady Carolines.

Kevin - About the tying:
The materials going in these are substitutions for the most part. Im sure you are aware. The scarlet horns are from a friend's bird - feathers I received and a last minute add-on. I used a coque tail-feather (same we might use in speys) and it has a different taper than the grouse in the original pattern. Not sure if there was collar, but I added two turns of Tragopan. The sides are originally listed as hen pheasant. The main wing here is a tail-covert that is nearly symmetrical and taken from a large roadkill Tom. Not me, but it must have been just ahead of me. I couldn't just leave it in the middle of the road like that. The carcass was still warm and couldn't pass up on the feathers.

the end item:
P6104478.jpg

·
Administrator
19,098 Posts
Finished product is a killer :smokin:
I like it on the 2271 platform Vic, nice choice !!
I've been pinching off the down eye on these irons and replacing it with an eye loop fashioned with micron.
That limerick shape gives me a vintage flavor and it feels good in hand as I dress it.

Very nice post Vic :)

Mike

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Really like the lines on this one. Kind of like the colors as well. Outstanding work.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
very feeshy flies like this make me want to get back at the vice. really clean and sensible

man this new site layout kills my sense of aesthetics. if i was looking for artistic inspiration to tie, its not going to happen on this site...and seriously, a spam bot? sorry to muck up your thread, i haven;t been around to see this much

1 - 10 of 10 Posts