1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a good fast spey rod and I have in my target these two:
-PARTRIDGE IAN GORDON Fast action 4 section 14' #9/10
-SCIERRA HMSv2 14,3' # 9/10
I like ligth and fast rods for long casts and tigth loops, but sensitive for fishing too.
Someone could me recommend the better?
¡¡¡Your advice please!!!
Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
The Scierra is a wonderful rod. If you prefer underhand style, then the HMSv2 has ben design for this style of casting.

Marin

·
Registered
625 Posts
A friend of mine has broken two Scierra HM2's, we get them trade price, but he put them back and ended up getting a Snowbee that he is happy with, and has fished all year with no problem, it might be just bad luck but he was'nt going to try three times lucky.:)
Gordon.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
My experience with the HMSv2 13’ 8/9 and 14’8” 9/10 is great.
I am curious if the breakage was a result of overloading, loose ferrule or the defective material.
Scierra rods are covered by lifetime warranty, so why he did not send them for repair or exchange?
Which part/point of the blank gave up?

Martin

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've only test cast the Scierras, but they were wonderful rods — perfectly matched with Henrik's lines.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I've cast the Ian Gordon rods for about an hour solid. May not seem like much, but I am talking a solid 60 minutes of casting as fast as I could fire at the Golden Gate Casting Pool. All different casts, both sides, one after the other - that's probably about 200 casts or more. Like many guys with a bit of Spey muscle memory, I can usually tell if I like a setup or not within 5 casts. I was totally enamored with them, in fact I couldn't put them down! Phenomenal action, power and balance. Aesthetics top shelf, and Ian's wisdom shines in the design of these rods and lines. On my list of "must haves" in fact I plan to complement my arsenal for the 2007 season with them.

I've also cast the Scierra rods and corresponding lines and felt they are equally tuned into their application, which is distinctly a Scandinavian style. As Henrik Mortensen clearly demonstrates, a deadly fishing technique. Henrik achieves the task with effortless mechanics and I would not want to follow him through a pool!

As mentioned by others these rods are crafted from different applications but the key is what you like. If you prefer the short crisp underhand approach perhaps Henrik's approach would suit your style.

As a vee-gripping long stroke caster who is always looking for an excuse to fish long belly lines, I love the Ian Gordon series rods. But that's how I like to cast and fish. That's not to say Ian's rods won't drive a Scandi head into the opposite bank or that Henriks rods won't sail a long belly to the moon, but I think most casters will agree that the design intent and virtues of each are sufficiently different as described especially when matched to their recommended lines.

So in a way the beauty that both of these posess is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Juro,

How would you compare Ian Gordon 15' 11/12 ( I have heard this one is more of wt.10 rod) to CND Salmo Salar 15'6" ( casting floater and sunk lines).

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
886 Posts
sazan said:
Juro,

How would you compare Ian Gordon 15' 11/12 ( I have heard this one is more of wt.10 rod) to CND Salmo Salar 15'6" ( casting floater and sunk lines).

Thanks
Martin
That rod fits the Ian Gordon 11/12 line perfectly, it might be OK with an 10 overweight American line.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi Sazan,
The rods broke at different places, middle section and then the tip, don't think it was getting over worked, maybe just unlucky i guess, but when you get two , and like i said we get all the rods trade so can try them all out, and if we dont like it just put it back on the rack.
When the fishing is good who wants to keep sending sections back for repair. lifetime warranty or not.
Gordon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your answers.
I ever like Scierra rods, but I had hear also in my country that some one handed Scierra rods have been frequent broken. I do not why.
Reading Juro, I think my rod style then is the Ian Gordon because I preffer long strokes and long belly lines for long casts.
Greetings.
YEYITO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
YEYITO

Among the various rods I am lucky to possess, I have a 14 ft Ian Gordon fast action Partridge and a Scierra HMSv2 13 ft 8/9 grilse rod.

Nothing wrong with either of them, love them both. I use the HMS for delicate fishing in low water conditions, usually underhand casting with Vision Ace shooting head and sometimes with a light spey line.

As you prefer long stroke style then the Ian Gordon rod is the best choice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Robbie.
As I saw, I like the Scierra rods too, but perhaps a rod designed for underhand style have a few blank tickness and therefore less resistance face to a big torque power requirement than other outlined for powerful long strokes.......probably these ocasional brokens are for that.......???????
Lastly, I think will buy the two rods;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts