Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Rods (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/59-rods/)
-   -   Fantasy Rod Buying (adding to my Spey quiver) (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/59-rods/392638-fantasy-rod-buying-adding-my-spey-quiver.html)

DarthWader 08-05-2019 10:17 AM

Fantasy Rod Buying (adding to my Spey quiver)

Dear Everyone,

I have a limited time opportunity to expand my quiver of double-handers. Currently I've been doing pretty much everything with a 12.5ft 7wt. It's a Sage One, but whilst I'm committed to the brand I'm interested in general thoughts around a good combination of lengths and line weights - what do you like to use, where and for what?

Under consideration for me in terms of additions are:
  • 11ft 7wt Switch - I'm not wholly convinced I need a switch rod, I've got plentiful single handers after all.
  • 12-12.5ft 6wt Spey - I like the idea of this as I generally enjoy lighter rods, I'm just a bit worried that it seems very niche with a strong potential to be under-gunned in a lot of places.
  • 13ft 7wt Spey - Sounds like a lovely all-rounder, though a direct replacement for what I've already got it doesn't add hugely to my options other than being a better version.
  • 13-14ft 8wt Spey - Could be useful for the big stuff, when necessary.
  • 14ft 9wt - If you're going to go big, why not go bigger? I quite enjoy casting long-belly lines and this would be great for that. It's just a shame that most of my fishing opportunities call for shorter heads.

I've got trips to Oregon and BC lined up in Fall, and I'm hoping to get out to Washington and Michigan in winter at some point. Most of my fishing at home is on smaller rivers, hence starting out with 7126. Although a lot of the time I fish a 9.5-10ft 7wt onesie.

I'm having a hard time whittling the short-list down to the 2/3 rods I've got clearance to buy. (If anything, I keep adding more options to it!) So, what would you get if you had to limit yourself? Or what do you like to fish with?

My decision-making skills need some assistance.

underachiever 08-05-2019 11:24 AM

Without having the rods side by side, it's tough to say for sure but I'm guessing a 12'6" 6wt wouldn't offer much difference than your 12'6" 7wt.

If I were in your position and looking at expanding I'd personally lean towards something in the 13' - 13'6 range so it could easily cast some of the lines (vector/aerohead etc...) in the 45+ ft range.

Neil W 08-05-2019 04:51 PM

Depending on what I would be fishing for I would go light and get a switch rod in either 6, 7 or 8 Wt as I find a switch rod a very versatile tool for covering the river. A 13.5 8wt is a good outfit for bigger fish and rivers and certainly capable with a mid belly line. If I was going to fish bigger still then I would get a 14ft 9wt.
For the 14ft I rate the Sage X. The sage one 13.5ft 8wt is also good as is the igniter

DarthWader 08-05-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underachiever (Post 2463044)
Without having the rods side by side, it's tough to say for sure but I'm guessing a 12'6" 6wt wouldn't offer much difference than your 12'6" 7wt.

If I were in your position and looking at expanding I'd personally lean towards something in the 13' - 13'6 range so it could easily cast some of the lines (vector/aerohead etc...) in the 45+ ft range.

I'm thinking a 13ft Sage X might be a good 'do anything anywhere' option. The 6wt Spey is a conundrum for me, I feel like I want one though I'm not really sure why...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil W (Post 2463072)
Depending on what I would be fishing for I would go light and get a switch rod in either 6, 7 or 8 Wt as I find a switch rod a very versatile tool for covering the river. A 13.5 8wt is a good outfit for bigger fish and rivers and certainly capable with a mid belly line. If I was going to fish bigger still then I would get a 14ft 9wt.
For the 14ft I rate the Sage X. The sage one 13.5ft 8wt is also good as is the igniter

I was thinking that 14ft 8wt X might be an interesting and different option to a more standard 14ft 9wt. It's hard to see a downside to the extra length in the 8wt, and with such a big grain window I could load it deeper while chucking some hefty Skagit heads or mid-long head lines.

I am tempted to add a switch at some point, but I'm hoping there might be some Igniter switches coming at some point... I reckon those could be very nice indeed.

Tugboater 08-05-2019 06:39 PM

4wt trout Spey. You’ll love it!

Longbelly Magic 08-05-2019 07:38 PM

I think the 14’ 8 would be a pretty nice addition. I think you could fish that rod on any steelhead or salmon river and fish just about every style of line. Seems like a wise choice.

Trident 08-05-2019 10:32 PM

R.L. Winston AIR TH 6133!!

troutless 08-06-2019 01:42 AM

If it were me and my one rod was a 12.5' 7wt, I'd be looking to add a trout spey, 11-12' 3/4, and a long stick, for when you really want to reach out. 15' 8/9 or 9/10. Those three rods will handle near any situation I can think of.

A 13' 7wt or 12-12.5' 6wt does very little to diversify your quiver, the main reason would be to have a backup rod. Which is not a bad idea.

sinktip 08-06-2019 02:11 AM

I thankfully do not have to limit myself to two but if I did it would be a 13’ 7 weight and a 15’ 8-9. A light 11’ switch in 4 or 5 is a fun stick for small rivers. All that said, more and more the last few years I find myself reaching for a 16’ option. Why meet the devil half way?

Neil W 08-06-2019 03:22 AM

A good choice to go for the 14 8wt sage X as your heavier duty rod. I would still Go for a lighter switch rod especially if you use a single handed. The 4wt sage trout Spey is a lovely rod, that said a 6 or 7wt may be more versatile. It does depend on the size of fish you intend to target.
If you love Spey casting with a two handed rod the switch rods or probably better named light Spey rods, give you more chance to fish two handed. Put on an appropriate clicker reel and you will have fun!

Chroulleau 08-07-2019 10:34 AM

13'4 # 7 and 14'4 # 9

DarthWader 08-07-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tugboater (Post 2463084)
4wt trout Spey. You’ll love it!

I probably should have said that I do have an 11ft 3wt trout Spey as well!

TDS 08-07-2019 07:07 PM

Sage Method 9wt. if you can find one...it's a cool rod and easy to tune......675 gr skagit gets it

Flymiles 08-07-2019 09:09 PM

To cover a wide range of rivers and styles of fishing some compromise in rod selection is sometimes needed. Apart from the fish are aiming to catch ,river height , season and personal preferences all need to be considered .
A 14 ft 9 weight is my all round salmon rod . A 12 ft 6 ins 7 weight works well and is delight to use if conditions are favourable .
Then there are switch rods . A six weight 11ft and a five weight of the same length .
That sort of covers it for me but I am tempted to go longer and longer in that 4/5/weight for trout Spey on large rivers

glcaddis 08-07-2019 09:09 PM

Fantasy Rod Buying, for sure

for the 13' 7 wt--G Loomis Asquith light in hand, fast in action, easy to cast, costs a bunch. But, this is fantasy

11' 7" 7 wt switch rod by T & T--great rod for smaller rivers where you might get into a good fish.

14' 8 wt, the Meiser Red Shed Special is my latest addition. And while I haven't completely gotten it dialed in, it is a stunner for looks and the NC WA45 series somewhere has a good fit, just haven't decided which one it is yet. Also the Gaelforce 54' 8/9 is a good bet as well.

If you want a 9 wt, the 14' G Loomis Asquith is a wonderful rod. I sold mine because maybe once in the next ten years would I be on water where I needed it.