Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   General (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/53-general/)
-   -   Travelling with your gear (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/53-general/391600-travelling-your-gear.html)

eriefisher 06-25-2019 02:08 PM

Travelling with your gear

2 Attachment(s)
This has been brought up several times in the past but since I'm about to do some travel I thought I would share what I found. I'm heading to the Avalon Peninsula, St. John's Newfoundland to chase some atlantics for the first time and it got me digging. For the ride there I fly Air Canada and coming home Westjet So here is their details.

Air Canada

Westjet

Hope this helps some wondering.

Dan

GHalliday 06-25-2019 08:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I travel for work most in the States and this is my standard "Honey Im leaving for work" kit. The rods change given the season and where I may be heading but this is it when I leave home. I throw it in the overhead and Im done with it. Longer rods (case only holds rods to 11' with no tube) 11' and over get strapped onto the case. Ammunition and hardware goes in my checked bag with waders, boots, a knife or two or whatever. Everything else I need on the road stays in my work truck, including my vise and some feathers.

GHalliday 06-25-2019 08:05 PM

I don't see why Air Canada or WestJet would have problem with a case and a couple of tubes in the overhead.

eriefisher 06-25-2019 08:43 PM

They dont really. The only restriction would be size. I carried on a rod tube with 2 rods and some gear in a backpack to Costa Rica last year through Westjet with no problem. Coming home with Air Canada the air line had no trouble with the tube but they would not let it through security. I had to check it for $35.

Dan

adamess 06-26-2019 05:27 PM

Damn that is a beautiful kit. I wonder if there’s a term for being obsessed with packing/organizing. If there is it certainly applies to me haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHalliday (Post 2457392)
I travel for work most in the States and this is my standard "Honey Im leaving for work" kit. The rods change given the season and where I may be heading but this is it when I leave home. I throw it in the overhead and Im done with it. Longer rods (case only holds rods to 11' with no tube) 11' and over get strapped onto the case. Ammunition and hardware goes in my checked bag with waders, boots, a knife or two or whatever. Everything else I need on the road stays in my work truck, including my vise and some feathers.

Don Walker 06-27-2019 09:22 AM

Like your kit!!!

JDJones 06-27-2019 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a DB Dunn case similar to that I no longer use. The rod tubes pictured are for nine foot 3 piece rods (39"). It will hold waders boots & rain gear as well.

Bentley 06-27-2019 11:27 AM

it’s impossible for me to carry all my stuff. But, I can get waders, boots & clothes into one large bag under 50# and the other check in as “Tackle”. I travel between New Orleans to Portland / Seattle about twice a year to chase steelhead & salmon.

Example: American Airlines permits me to check “Two” bags. ONE of these bags can be Rod Tubes tied together AND a separate Tackle Bag. One needs to do several things since agents and their supervisors do not always know the rules and, if they do, how to accept that so called second bag.
1. Tackle bag must look like a tackle bag.
2. Bring a copy of the airline rules with you.
3. Tell them to they can “click the disregard button” on their computer screen to clear the alert on bag number two (rod tubes & tackle).

SeaTac typically knows how to do this. Otherwise, trying to get the airlines to refund the significant cost of the 3rd bag charge is a real pain. Good luck.

eriefisher 06-27-2019 02:04 PM

I recently bought a golf travel case. Semi hard sided. Fits rods, gear, waders, boots plus all the personal items Like clothing and such. Packed I'm just under the 50lb and just short of the max length before extra charges. All in all it packs everything I need for a week long trip.

https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/...avel-case.html

Dan

scotsmac1 06-27-2019 02:23 PM

For flying, without doubt a Golf travel bag, or Hockey travel bag. Everything fits in rods clothing the lot.
Also many the purpose made fishing travel bags are to heavy,

SLSS 06-28-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHalliday (Post 2457394)
I don't see why Air Canada or WestJet would have problem with a case and a couple of tubes in the overhead.

I haven;'t flown in CA in few years, but when I did they just had standard policy that wouldn't allow them in overhead, had to be checked. They were very polite, and very firm.

JDJones 06-28-2019 11:01 AM

Check out Sport Tube (sp) ski & snow board cases. I also have one of those. Everything needed to fish goes in that case. Lock it with a TSA approved lock & check it as your main bag. You don't need much regular clothes on a fishing trip. What you do need will easily fit in a small carry on luggage.

CSFT 06-28-2019 11:59 AM

Based on my experience...the golf travel bag is absolutely the way to go!!!!!

adamess 07-09-2019 01:44 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Got inspired by this thread. Converted a $30 rifle case into a handy fishing travel case. Holds at least five rods (one 9ft trout rod, three 11ft switch rods, and one 12’9” spey rod), head wallet (which is really just an old CD travel case I bought for a buck), and fly boxes no problem!

harrywi 07-09-2019 06:26 AM

I am calling myself a good example of a guy who travels overseas every year once or twice with a LOT of luggage.
The standard approach (ever since my first extreme trip to BC in 2017) is to pack my spey rods (3) in a massive Simms Spey Rod cannon and this large spey rod cannon
goes into a 48" long duffel intended for inflatable boat storage/transportation. I throw in waders and boots, clothing, this and that, flies and tools.
The rest goes carry-on. That is one larger checked item for a week+ of spey fishing anywhere on the globe.
Air Canada, British Airways, WestJet, Delta, KLM, Swiss all have no issues with the large duffel as checked luggage.

Ever since the boat came into play (first a FCScout by Outcast, now a Catchercraft Freestone with a breakdown frame) the spey rod cannon stays at home and the aluminum rod tubes
will go into the 48" duffel along with the hull of the boat, broken down smaller frame parts, the oar shafts, gear, tools, clothing.
The rest (major frame parts, flies, clothing, waders, boots) will have to go into a second checked bag.
Carry-on for small items and reels. two times 23kg (50lbs) max per bag. (the oar blades will go carry-on as well due to weight).

British Airways has - in my eyes - the very best checked luggage policy for the flights out of Switzerland.
Premium Eco will give you 2x checked bags for free. My Silver status with the airline now gives me 2x 32kg (71lbs) for free regardless of my cabin class.

So I will haul my framed pontoon, three spey rods and everything else half way around the globe each time I go pursue adventures for steelhead out west.
Five trips and absolutely no issues thus far.
The only thing that crosses my mind all the time: the 48" duffel from AIRE (boat bag) is not as sturdy as others but it has held up very well.
It just has the perfect size/dimensions.

Regards,

Harry
---