Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Tackle (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/54-tackle/)
-   -   Favorite trout reels? (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/54-tackle/389762-favorite-trout-reels.html)

twists 04-19-2019 11:13 AM

Favorite trout reels?

What would be your favorite trout reels (single hand 5-8wt), ideally classic design / s-handle?

Like the Bogdan equivalent for trout reels... or would you just take a Bogdan?

NW Steel 04-19-2019 01:13 PM

While I have never owned one, a Hodge and Sons classic trout reel is on my short list of single hand reels that I want. They are out of southern Oregon and are very nice looking reels. If I remember correctly, they made some reels for Winston years ago. Check them out.

Steve

fatman 04-19-2019 10:43 PM

Saracione Mark IV Trout

mitchaka2fish 04-19-2019 11:06 PM

hee hee.

peerless.
and they seem to be holding their value.

cheers,
shawn

sinktip 04-20-2019 12:17 AM

Hard to beat a Hardy Perfect but if I had the coin, the Bogdan would be hard to say no to.

Bill S 04-20-2019 08:08 AM

Saracione Deluxe

Jim 04-20-2019 05:07 PM

3 3/8 left hand wind perfect with line guard.

Whiskey Dick 04-21-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim (Post 2447356)
3 3/8 left hand wind perfect with line guard.

You almost got it Jim, 3 3/8 right hand wind perfect with a line guard or the ultimate a 3 1/4 RHW wide spool Brass faced perfect.:wink2:

_WW_ 04-21-2019 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a preference for these types.

Jim 04-21-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskey Dick (Post 2447472)
You almost got it Jim, 3 3/8 right hand wind perfect with a line guard or the ultimate a 3 1/4 RHW wide spool Brass faced perfect.:wink2:

If I could only reel right handed. Hard enough learning how to spey cast left hand up.

glcaddis 04-21-2019 09:07 PM

Trout reels are first and foremost a place to store line. Most trout outside of Labrador, Chile, Argentina, and New Zealand are played by stripping line in and thus the heavyweight features of the more expensive reels are not essential to the aim of the game. If you want to get the top dollar reel, I say go for it. But, I have stable of older Hardys from the Featherweight up through Hardy Marquis 7 hanging below my trout rods from 3 up to 7 weight. I have splurged on a couple of the small Bougle' reels because I like the look. I wouldn't say no to a smaller Perfect in LHW, but the extra weight may throw my lighter weight graphite rods out of balance. We have to remember a lot of the older classic reels were designed and made for use on much heavier bamboo rods.

Buy what you can afford and appreciate, but don't kid yourself into thinking it will be a necessity for 95% of your trout fishing.

Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy 04-22-2019 07:35 AM

Bellinger and Brusky are not too heavy classic s handles that have reasonable balance with graphite sticks 8-9 ft. Baby bougle and bulldog 80’s my go to for cane 6 foot 1-3wt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Botsari 04-22-2019 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glcaddis (Post 2447618)
Trout reels are first and foremost a place to store line. Most trout outside of Labrador, Chile, Argentina, and New Zealand are played by stripping line in and thus the heavyweight features of the more expensive reels are not essential to the aim of the game. If you want to get the top dollar reel, I say go for it. But, I have stable of older Hardys from the Featherweight up through Hardy Marquis 7 hanging below my trout rods from 3 up to 7 weight. I have splurged on a couple of the small Bougle' reels because I like the look. I wouldn't say no to a smaller Perfect in LHW, but the extra weight may throw my lighter weight graphite rods out of balance. We have to remember a lot of the older classic reels were designed and made for use on much heavier bamboo rods.

Buy what you can afford and appreciate, but don't kid yourself into thinking it will be a necessity for 95% of your trout fishing.

Agreed. We have a lot of folks on here with classy (and expensive) tastes, so the collection of Saras, Bogdans and Perfects is no surprise, but I was still hoping to see at least one along the lines of “I love grandpa’s old reel that he got from his father and has been in the family for 4 generations. :)

I like my Marquis 6, LRH and Princess ... as my line holders. While it works perfectly the LRH in particular has an especially lovely, honestly-earned decrepitude to its outer finish - very wabi sabi! Of course this reel is not what many would call a truly an “old” one, as it is not even older than I am, nor a true “classic”. And unfortunately it was not my grandpa’s reel, though I’m sure it was someone’s grandpa’s reel.:chuckle:

Hardyreels 04-22-2019 03:43 PM

Where and when I grew up I never saw any of the custom built reels, it was a Pflueger environment you could say. I made a tremendous leap to an exotic in 1978 when I bought my Hardy Featherweight. Since I caught so many trout using that reel I'd have to say it's a favorite. I also have a Princess I got in the late 80's for a six weight cane rod that I like a lot.

Featherweight and my 1979 Far & Fine #5

https://oi542.photobucket.com/albums...f/c68bcb9c.jpg

Princess

https://oi542.photobucket.com/albums...C_0001-1_1.jpg

I still have one CFO reel that has seen some use but the Hardy reels are the go to for trout on small streams here.

GusGreer 04-23-2019 03:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I love my Maurice Noel trout reels. 100 in Titanium and faux ivory and a 150AD Aluminum Delrin. Smooth and classy. pictured with a 3 5/8 perfect for scale.