Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Hooks, Feathers and Floss (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/95-hooks-feathers-floss/)
-   -   Heritage Flies and Green Highlander (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/95-hooks-feathers-floss/389490-heritage-flies-green-highlander.html)

DAnderson 04-12-2019 09:42 AM

Heritage Flies and Green Highlander

3 Attachment(s)
This is a first fly post from a long time lurker. I have three flies tied on AJ 1,5 hooks.

The first fly is tied similar to the Swedish flag. This fly is in memory of my father.

The second fly is tied similar to the flag of Quebec. This is a province where I have spent many enjoyable hours fishing on the Gaspé and meeting wonderful people. This fly is in memory of my mother.

The third fly is a Green Highlander tied with a red head and without macaw horns.

Please feel free to offer any critiques and suggestions. It has been almost 30 years since I have tied married wing flies and I am in search of good goose feathers to replenish my stock.

Doug

eriefisher 04-12-2019 09:50 AM

Those look pretty impressive. I wish had the skills.

Dan

Steelchromedome 04-12-2019 10:40 AM

Those are epic flies. You should feel proud of your tying skills. You are talented!

Nate

gt05254 04-12-2019 10:47 AM

Awesome ties, Doug!
Gary

Draggerman 04-12-2019 06:16 PM

They are indeed "Top Shelf"

mitchaka2fish 04-12-2019 08:00 PM

swedish and french canuck?

sounds like half of you wants to get drunk and the other half doesn't want to pay for it.

ha ha,
cheers,
great flies mate,
shawn

GR8LAKES FLYER 04-13-2019 08:34 AM

Is this a fly post from Doug ??!! :eek::eek::eek:
I've waited years for this post !!
I am overly impressed my friend with your tying ... why have you been hiding your skills ??
Your freestyles are way cool .... but that Green Highlander has my attention :smokin:
I hope I don't have to wait another 10 years for a fly post from you again !!

Mike

gt05254 04-13-2019 01:21 PM

What Mike said!!
Gary

DAnderson 04-14-2019 09:25 AM

Gents, thanks for all of your kind words and likes. It has been through the posts of such good tyers such as Gary Tanner, Mike Papais, Paul (FishTech), Brian Sturrock, John Miniachi and others that my tying has improved. Also, using the examples of the late Syd Glasso for good proportions. It seems to be a quest for perfection that never ends.

Shawn,
You get the prize for the comment that caused the loudest laugh. I enjoyed that.

Mike,
No you will not have to wait for another ten years. The ice has been broken.

Gary,
Your flies taught me that less is better. Also, pull your hair wings down to the hook shank and make them sparse.

Paul,
Your flies always seem perfect with great proportions and sparse.

Brian,
Your innovative approach to fly tying is amazing.

John,
I greatly enjoy your posts, especially the posting of using silk wings.

Thanks again guys, the quest continues.

Doug