Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Casting Video (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/103-casting-video/)
-   -   How Far Are We Casting? (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/103-casting-video/389018-how-far-we-casting.html)

SkagitMiester 03-28-2019 12:18 PM

How Far Are We Casting?

fisshman26 03-28-2019 12:48 PM

Another cracker Tim!
Marked distance does not lie! Strips of line off the reel however.......hahaha 🤓

Skol Bandit 03-28-2019 12:58 PM

The strips are fairly accurate, but you have to know how far your actual real strips are. I measured mine at just under 3 feet per strip.

Botsari 03-28-2019 01:39 PM

When I’m curious, which is rare, I use loops of shooting line. For example 2 loops of shooting line both of which extend to just past the tip of the rod in the river when held at the butt (usually where I stop as that seems like a “comfortable” no stress max independent of the line length) means about 5 times the length of the rod plus the length of the line and front end attachments from the reel. I can sometimes coax more out especially under ideal conditions and by doing “nicer” loop handling but I’ve kind of settled into two big sloppy loops at most and I’m done. I figure if I need more distance I’m using the wrong head, or what is more likely just casturbating.

Of course 90 % of the time much less. :). But I took the op to be about that and not average length. But maybe that attitude is a bit of casturbation by itself so if I got that wrong .....

coug 03-28-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skol Bandit (Post 2443128)
The strips are fairly accurate, but you have to know how far your actual real strips are. I measured mine at just under 3 feet per strip.

I did too, mine are 7 feet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

fisshman26 03-28-2019 01:48 PM

Even if you cast and your line hits the reel strips are a rough guesstimate at best as there can be squiggles in your line or the line bounces back etc......when measuring with strips you lose 10-20% compared to actual measured distance which does not lie :nerd:

SkagitMiester 03-28-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisshman26 (Post 2443138)
Even if you cast and your line hits the reel strips are a rough guesstimate at best as there can be squiggles in your line or the line bounces back etc......when measuring with strips you lose 10-20% compared to actual measured distance which does not lie :nerd:

I think it gets worse for me the longer the belly of the line is... particularly if they land in a slight arc which some do. I guess it would help if I learned to cast straight!:hihi:

Read1t48 03-28-2019 03:23 PM

Nice one, Tim!

It was great to see you last week, too. We need to share some water together soon.
I'm sure you'll outcast me, but at least we'll remind each other on how to measure. :)

When I want to be precise, I will use the distance between the stripper guide to the bottom of the cork as a measurement. I will then count the number of strips. Knowing this measurement, and the length of the head, I can determine the length of the cast. When it lands in the bushes on the other side, you went too far. If it gets stuck in the bushes behind me, then I wade out further. Haha!

SkagitMiester 03-28-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coug (Post 2443136)
I did too, mine are 7 feet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Ok, THAT is funny!

SkagitMiester 03-28-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Read1t48 (Post 2443160)
Nice one, Tim!

It was great to see you last week, too. We need to share some water together soon.
I'm sure you'll outcast me, but at least we'll remind each other on how to measure. :)

When I want to be precise, I will use the distance between the stripper guide to the bottom of the cork as a measurement. I will then count the number of strips. Knowing this measurement, and the length of the head, I can determine the length of the cast. When it lands in the bushes on the other side, you went too far. If it gets stuck in the bushes behind me, then I wade out further. Haha!

Yes, we definitely need to get out together. i want to feel those Galeforce lines on your Mieser!

SkagitMiester 03-28-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botsari (Post 2443134)
When I’m curious, which is rare, I use loops of shooting line. For example 2 loops of shooting line both of which extend to just past the tip of the rod in the river when held at the butt (usually where I stop as that seems like a “comfortable” no stress max independent of the line length) means about 5 times the length of the rod plus the length of the line and front end attachments from the reel. I can sometimes coax more out especially under ideal conditions and by doing “nicer” loop handling but I’ve kind of settled into two big sloppy loops at most and I’m done. I figure if I need more distance I’m using the wrong head, or what is more likely just casturbating.

Of course 90 % of the time much less. :). But I took the op to be about that and not average length. But maybe that attitude is a bit of casturbation by itself so if I got that wrong .....

I totally agree. I do about the same, two loops that don't reach beyond the end of the rod, so they wont get caught by the fly. Occasionally more, but like you said. Any more than that and its time for a longer head. I'm over stripping, except in emergencies.:hihi:

Botsari 03-28-2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skol Bandit (Post 2443128)

This may be the same logic Hyundai used (and later got caught) to give my 2013 car extra MPG. :)

You probably have to be very careful to avoid the Ouija board effect (ideomotor effect) doing it that way - or the “table turning” effect from the 19th century. Look it up if you never heard of it. Anyway it is basically proven it you want something to happen, or even expect it to happen you can MAKE it happen unconsciously. Hence strips can unconsciously get a little shorter under the right psychological conditions. :chuckle:

Bob Budesa 03-29-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Botsari (Post 2443204)
Anyway it is basically proven it you want something to happen, or even expect it to happen you can MAKE it happen unconsciously.

You very very smart, Weedhopper! :laugh:

kalamaman 03-29-2019 12:29 AM

A suggestion -- Use a tape measure (100'er is easiest) and make an indelible mark on your line 100' from its tip loop.
When gauging cast length (excepting the squiggles, arcing, leader length, etc.), locate the mark. It is either on the reel or out the guides. Adding or subtracting a small amount is easy and allows a pretty accurate total, although nothing beats a measured distance and someone to mark the spot.

troutless 03-29-2019 01:52 AM

In my personal experience, a tape measure is a fine tool with which to puncture one's delusions of speycasting grandeur.

Nice video Tim. 100ft is pretty far with a Skagit head.