Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Rods (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/59-rods/)
-   -   Sage Igniter 8136 (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/59-rods/387148-sage-igniter-8136-a.html)

Neil W 02-05-2019 03:09 PM

Sage Igniter 8136

Just picked up one of these rods to fill a gap in my armoury (well thatís my excuse)
Hope to try it in a few weeks for some spring Atlantic salmon but just wondered if anyone has experience with this rod and what lines you may have been using. Always nice to get a head start and some insight

Neil W 02-08-2019 05:26 PM

Has no one used this rod?

SaltyCutt 02-08-2019 07:40 PM

I'm kind of a rod junky and I'd never heard of it until I saw your post

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LyNcH 02-08-2019 08:08 PM

I have the Igniter 7126 and absolutely love it. I know this doesn't help with line recommendations, but can tell you that my line setup is the same as I used on my TCX 7126.

SaltyCutt 02-08-2019 08:28 PM

Now I'm looking at them, interesting they are calling them an ultra fast taper, id like to try one

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

J_Filip 02-08-2019 08:49 PM

Neil,

I have spent some time with this rod though I was using skagit style lines. I found the sweet spot with a 525gr Rio game changer (multi density skagit). I was quite surprised that it liked such a light line especially since I cast a 600 grain on the sage X 8140. Not sure how much help that is to you.

Neil W 02-09-2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Filip (Post 2432916)
Neil,

I have spent some time with this rod though I was using skagit style lines. I found the sweet spot with a 525gr Rio game changer (multi density skagit). I was quite surprised that it liked such a light line especially since I cast a 600 grain on the sage X 8140. Not sure how much help that is to you.

Thanks, all information is helpful. It looks like it may have quite a wide range of lines it can cast. I will quite likely be using a skagit on it and was thinking a 570 or 600 but may try the 540 first based on your feedback as itís the closest I have to the 525 and I have found you need to use slightly lighter sinking skagit than floaters. On the Rio rating scale they have the 550 at the A rating.
Can I ask how you liked the rod?

Neil W 02-09-2019 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyNcH (Post 2432890)
I have the Igniter 7126 and absolutely love it. I know this doesn't help with line recommendations, but can tell you that my line setup is the same as I used on my TCX 7126.

Thanks as itís also a rod I may look at in the future. What size lines do you use on the 7126?
Based on other comments sage need to up their game with regards to marketing as I would have imagined the 8136 would be a good winter steelhead rod and unlike in game of thrones winter is ending and no one seems to be using it
I have found one video from Ashland fly shop using the 7126 and he certainly also likes that rod.
I am U.K. based and like sage rods but find the lack of information or experience especially on video quite frustrating. It seemed better with the Sage one series but very poor with the X and now the igniter. I initially thought it may be because the X was maybe not so good but having tried the 9140 this is not the case as itís a brilliant rod.

neutered 02-09-2019 09:43 AM

I received the recommendation " 8136-4 IGNITOR, Run a 600 Game Changer in F/I/3 " from the Sage rep. I ordered both on Friday for Dean River Chinook.

LyNcH 02-09-2019 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil W (Post 2432976)
Thanks as itís also a rod I may look at in the future. What size lines do you use on the 7126?
Based on other comments sage need to up their game with regards to marketing as I would have imagined the 8136 would be a good winter steelhead rod and unlike in game of thrones winter is ending and no one seems to be using it
I have found one video from Ashland fly shop using the 7126 and he certainly also likes that rod.
I am U.K. based and like sage rods but find the lack of information or experience especially on video quite frustrating. It seemed better with the Sage one series but very poor with the X and now the igniter. I initially thought it may be because the X was maybe not so good but having tried the 9140 this is not the case as itís a brilliant rod.

So far I have cast a 480 grain scandi, 480 and 510 grain Rage and 525 Skagit. I have only fish the rod for a couple days and can't express how much fun it is to cast and how light in the hand it feels. If you like the Death Star, then I think you be pleasantly surprised when and if you cast this rod.

The next thing I need to do with this rod is hook a fish on it!!

As far as ideas where to start, Rio has the 8136 listed on their 2019 spey line recommendation page.

https://www.rioproducts.com/learn/spey-line-recs

Neil W 02-09-2019 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutered (Post 2433024)
I received the recommendation " 8136-4 IGNITOR, Run a 600 Game Changer in F/I/3 " from the Sage rep. I ordered both on Friday for Dean River Chinook.

It would be great to hear how you get on.

J_Filip 02-09-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil W (Post 2432974)
Thanks, all information is helpful. It looks like it may have quite a wide range of lines it can cast. I will quite likely be using a skagit on it and was thinking a 570 or 600 but may try the 540 first based on your feedback as it’s the closest I have to the 525 and I have found you need to use slightly lighter sinking skagit than floaters. On the Rio rating scale they have the 550 at the A rating.
Can I ask how you liked the rod?

I liked it very much. Light and lively with a crisp feeling that makes throwing tight loops nearly effortless. There's not a Method 8136 so hard to make a direct comparison but having fished (and still fish) a number of the Methods extensively, I'd say if feels lighter and bends a little deeper.

Much like the X series (I own an 8140x), I'm a little disappointed in the fit and finish of these rods. They just don't scream "$1000 rod" to me. Looks a bit cheap especially in the cork and reel seat. I realize that some of it is in an effort to cut weight, but I'd gladly take another half ounce to not feel like I'm fishing a child's toy. I know that sounds harsh, but Sage set the bar pretty high in earlier generations and I sure am missing that.

Neil W 02-10-2019 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Filip (Post 2433230)
I liked it very much. Light and lively with a crisp feeling that makes throwing tight loops nearly effortless. There's not a Method 8136 so hard to make a direct comparison but having fished (and still fish) a number of the Methods extensively, I'd say if feels lighter and bends a little deeper.

Much like the X series (I own an 8140x), I'm a little disappointed in the fit and finish of these rods. They just don't scream "$1000 rod" to me. Looks a bit cheap especially in the cork and reel seat. I realize that some of it is in an effort to cut weight, but I'd gladly take another half ounce to not feel like I'm fishing a child's toy. I know that sounds harsh, but Sage set the bar pretty high in earlier generations and I sure am missing that.

Thanks for the information. The only methods I tried were the 8126 which was very nice and the 9140 which was much too stiff for my taste. The cork on both of my X rods and the igniter is excellent but I agree that especially with the X the reel fitting feels a bit light and not as good as the sage one. The benefit is it can take a heavier reel which I like as I use traditional style reels which tend to weigh more. I am looking forward to giving it a go in March

jonken 02-10-2019 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil W (Post 2432064)
Just picked up one of these rods to fill a gap in my armoury (well thatís my excuse)
Hope to try it in a few weeks for some spring Atlantic salmon but just wondered if anyone has experience with this rod and what lines you may have been using. Always nice to get a head start and some insight

Hi Neil,

It's a lovely rod. I did test the 13,6 #8 Igniter for a day out fishing last fall. The Igniter is super light in hand and with a good feeling all the way down to the cork. The deep action together with the fast recovery gives you a rod that can cast tight loops effortless the hole day and even when your not at your top it will produce good casts.

The grain window is wide, I started out with a RIO Scandi setup (body+tip) approx 31 gram over 11,5 meters. That gave you a light setup for touch and go cast like single spey and snake roll. With some overhang you could get good line speed and tight loops. :)

If you prefer water born cast and/or slower tempo in your casting the RIO Scandi setup (body+tip) approx 35 gram over 11,5 was a lovely setup, relax a little and still have a rod that loads and cast effortless.

I am Not a Sage man but this rod I really liked a lot.. :D

Neil W 02-10-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonken (Post 2433276)
Hi Neil,

It's a lovely rod. I did test the 13,6 #8 Igniter for a day out fishing last fall. The Igniter is super light in hand and with a good feeling all the way down to the cork. The deep action together with the fast recovery gives you a rod that can cast tight loops effortless the hole day and even when your not at your top it will produce good casts.

The grain window is wide, I started out with a RIO Scandi setup (body+tip) approx 31 gram over 11,5 meters. That gave you a light setup for touch and go cast like single spey and snake roll. With some overhang you could get good line speed and tight loops. :)

If you prefer water born cast and/or slower tempo in your casting the RIO Scandi setup (body+tip) approx 35 gram over 11,5 was a lovely setup, relax a little and still have a rod that loads and cast effortless.

I am Not a Sage man but this rod I really liked a lot.. :D

Thanks for the feedback very useful