Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Tackle (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/54-tackle/)
-   -   What Boat do you use and why? (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/54-tackle/386562-what-boat-do-you-use-why.html)

donkeyhunter007 01-22-2019 03:50 PM

What Boat do you use and why?

Hello All!

I would like to upgrade my river taxi. Currently using an outcast fishcat 10ir standup. I love to be able to stand up and spot fish! I also will stand up and use one oar canoe style in slow water! I am looking for a few things in my new craft. Easier transport. Option for another angler or 2. Trailer and drift boat still so classy and comfy.

It seems there is so many options available. Lots of brands all over the internet.
What Boat are you loving these days? what do you use it for? why do you love it?
what would you improve/change?
Not looking to open this thread to diss any manufacturers so if your feedback is super negative
a PM might be a better route feel free to shoot me a message!THanks!

Thanks for all the feedback in advance!

Best Regards
Mike

RavenBC 01-22-2019 04:27 PM

I was able to purchase a used AIRE Super Puma with NRS fishing frame and trailer last winter for a steal. So far have been very happy with it as it is my first river craft. It is light enough that 2 guys can drag it 50 meters to the river to launch, and fishes 3 comfortably. The Puma series are narrow and apparently are the sportscar of rafts, but also lack floor space for lots of storage(but I have nothing to compare it to, only what I have heard.)

I would love to try rowing a drift boat, to see the difference in handling and more storage space, but don't think I would want to give up the raft as a few rivers I regularly fish do not have launches and the raft allows me to drift them as long as I can get somewhat close with good trail access.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7fd4e4f258.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

eriefisher 01-22-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkeyhunter007 (Post 2428830)
Hello All!

I would like to upgrade my river taxi. Currently using an outcast fishcat 10ir standup.
Mike

I have the same boat although after 2 years of ownership I have only had it out a handful of times. The first year I had a shoulder replacement and the second I blew out my back, again. Unfortunately both of these events prevented me from rowing.

However, the few times I had it out it was a blast. I mounted a bow mount minkota on the back with a plate I made up and it works great!

Dan

Upstateonthefly 01-22-2019 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did quite a bit of research last year on this stuff, it's hard to differentiate who makes quality etc and which vendors/companies have a bad reputation. All that stuff aside, I ended up buying the 12'6" option from Saturn Rafts and put an NRS frame on it.

I've been super happy with the raft so far. It can seat two other anglers and a small amount of gear, or one angler with more space. Floor is hard enough to stand up and cast from which is a plus for trout fishing. Also fits in the back of my truck with no need for a trailer.

Eckman 01-22-2019 10:01 PM

Love my Aire with NRS Frame and custom rod rack

McSquidly 01-22-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eckman (Post 2428922)
Love my Aire with NRS Frame and custom rod rack

Can’t go wrong with Aire product. Supremely efficient, very durable, and can be configured like no other. But, you have to pay to play....

I have a Willies drift boat that is very nice but never really use it anymore and find most my floating is done out of my Aire Outfitter tandem IK. It delivers me to steelies other will never know....

RavenBC 01-23-2019 12:39 AM

Had I not found my raft used, I was about to pull the trigger on a Catchercraft Sea Run Bull. Was really impressed with their 2 man raft. But am very happy with my 3 man setup now that I have it.

Bob Budesa 01-23-2019 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a 1978 Alumaweld 16' driftboat w/9.9 Yamaha long shaft outboard. My son and I bought this boat primarily for its storage capacity. He and I had weed control (spray) contracts over 40 miles of the Rogue River from Whitehorse Park to Marial. Those contracts are now handled by someone else.

At present, if I had my druthers, I'd pick up a 14-16' Clackacraft. Might still pull the trigger. :wink2:

My son Geoff on the sticks. I wish it looked as good now as it did then.

Eastside 01-23-2019 01:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1985 “Experienced” high-sides Clack. Looks good in the water, kinda tough on the trailer. One day I will have Clackacraft refurbish the bottom. It’s a gear-hauling rock star.

Blackbugger 01-23-2019 01:43 AM

Me, my raft and about five days worth of gear for three guys.
Needless to say it was a little cramped in the boat.

It gets me everywhere I want to go.
https://i.imgur.com/XTX77HL.jpg

montanafos 01-23-2019 01:52 AM

I have a 2003 16’ Clack and like everything about it. Don’t use it as often as I’d like but find it super versatile from trout to steelhead to duck hunting. Have an 8hp Merc for it if needed.

Skol Bandit 01-23-2019 02:16 AM

RMR Animas tandem IK, but use it for 1 person. Cheap, durable, portable, white water stable, launch-able, skinny water-able, frog water-able, .... Get an extra one, too, for your buddies. Then you can each hit different sides of the river, or different runs, etc. Carries plenty of gear. Best way to drift if you swing.

donkeyhunter007 01-23-2019 03:06 AM

I am loving this thread!!
thanks for all the responses!

Question for all the raft guys.

do you have rigid inserts built into the frame to stand on?

What exactly is a dropped stitched floor and can it endure cleated wading boots?

Is there other types of floors for rafts?

thanks again!

RavenBC 01-23-2019 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkeyhunter007 (Post 2428992)
I am loving this thread!!

thanks for all the responses!

Question for all the raft guys.

do you have rigid inserts built into the frame to stand on?

What exactly is a dropped stitched floor and can it endure cleated wading boots?

Is there other types of floors for rafts?

thanks again!

Yes my NRS frame has wooden casting platforms attach at front and rear seat. I have tried and fished in rowing postion without a platform, and although it is definetly doable, it is not as comfortable as being on a solid surface.

The drop stitch floor is a definite plus, as it is self draining floor, basically it is a floor that is separate from the main raft tube and their are a number of loops on the floor and main tube and they are held together with rope cord etc. Other than the self draining pro, I is also easier to repair if it is punctured. I also have a 15ft cable lock that I run through the frame, then through the drop stitched floor and through the rim of my trailer tire, so both the raft, frame, or trailer doesn't go missing from my front yard. There maybe other advantages that I am not aware of that someone can add.

If I remember tomorrow, I can take some picks of my frame and floor.

fatman 01-23-2019 10:47 AM

Towee Guide Tested Skiff. Serves as a drift boat on Missouri and Arkansas trout/smallmouth rivers, flats skiff in the Gulf, attach a troller to the front and it's a bass boat for small lakes and ponds. Fishes three. As with any "do-it-all" boat, it's not the "best" in any off these classifications, but it gets the job done.