Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Book Reviews (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/89-book-reviews/)
-   -   Salmon Fisher's Journal by Jay Nicholas (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/89-book-reviews/330081-salmon-fishers-journal-jay-nicholas.html)

SSPey 07-09-2017 01:53 AM

Salmon Fisher's Journal by Jay Nicholas

This is a 2-volume book that isn't out yet, but I've been lucky to see an early draft. It is a great compendium of reason, rambling, riddle, and real-world insight into the mystery of chinook salmon angling. I very much look forward to having my own copy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-jay-nicholas

MikeB 07-09-2017 11:15 AM

Just signed up for my copy. Can't wait!

shotgunner 07-09-2017 01:15 PM

How cool is this!

Saw this post during 4 a.m. insomnia session. A spot has been cleared in my book case.. counting the days down :smokin:

Al_James 07-10-2017 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for posting about this book project guys. I have been working with Jay as creative director / project manager for the past year to help get it closer to publication. Couldn't be a better guy who is more generous with his knowledge and love of fishing and fly tying so I'm happy to donate my time and energy. This is his life's work and it's exciting to see it backed by the angling community. SSpey nailed the description perfectly, "reason, rambling, riddle, and real-world insight into the mystery of chinook salmon angling". I would also say (as John Larison does) that there is much to learn for steelhead anglers as well - smart thinking about tactics, experimentation and pursuit. Really, Jay's book is about a life-long obsession and love of the challenge of fishing. The book captures Jay's conversational tone, humor and passion for sure. We have reached over half our goal in the first few days, thanks to all the early supporters, but we really want to get this book into the hands of all anglers and we've priced it accordingly. (If you don't have room on your shelf, we have steelhead and chinook flies tied by Jay as well as original Nicholas sketches to frame for your tying room). Check it out if you haven't yet and send the campaign link to other anglers who may find it of interest. Thank you. It's an exciting project.

Al James

Steelchromedome 07-10-2017 01:39 PM

just out of curiosity, does Jay fish for Chinook with a spey or single hand rod? the book looks killer. I would love to read and own it.

SSPey 07-10-2017 02:31 PM

mostly single hand, sometimes 2-hand

Al_James 07-23-2017 03:37 PM

I wanted to give forum members an update on Jay's Salmon Fisher's Journal. With the generous help of the angling community we reached our initial target for publication within about a week! The kickstarter will go on for another two weeks until completion and you're still able to back the project until the final day. The guided trips and early bird books were snatched up fast, but it's still an opportunity to pre-order the book at significant savings or pick up a few Nicholas-tied steelhead and salmon flies. Thank you to everyone that backed or spread the word about this project. We are truly humbled by the support and excited to get closer to realizing Jay's dream of collector-quality publication of his life's work.

Laker 10-28-2017 06:32 PM

Are the books available?

J.James 10-28-2017 08:03 PM

I'd support just about any endeavor Jay was behind

The Caddis Fly Blog is incredible

Thank you for sharing

Al_James 10-30-2017 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker (Post 2198578)
Are the books available?

We are working toward our publication / distribution target of 1st quarter of 2018. Copies will be sent to kickstarter backers and then additional copies will be made available to the general public. I'm sure Jay will make the rounds at shops then too. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated as we reach milestones (like having copies available). Thanks for the interest. We're on the final push now - layout, photo editing, polishing, etc...

AJ

mycoatl 06-01-2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_James (Post 2199466)
We are working toward our publication / distribution target of 1st quarter of 2018. Copies will be sent to kickstarter backers and then additional copies will be made available to the general public. I'm sure Jay will make the rounds at shops then too. I'll make sure to keep this thread updated as we reach milestones (like having copies available). Thanks for the interest. We're on the final push now - layout, photo editing, polishing, etc...

AJ

Any update? I stumbled across the kickstarter page, and I'd love to buy copy. Please let me know when and where they'll be available. Thanks!

Laker 06-02-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycoatl (Post 2388530)
Any update? I stumbled across the kickstarter page, and I'd love to buy copy. Please let me know when and where they'll be available. Thanks!

Same here.

Al_James 06-12-2018 02:18 PM

Hi guys! Thanks for the interest. Here's the short of it - We are getting closer to publication this fall and there will be sets available for purchase even if you didn't back the kickstarter campaign.

Here's the long of it - Jay has gone through a few edits of manuscripts since the kickstarter was funded - things to update, some other stuff to cut. He's an obsessive, detail oriented guy and this is his life's work, so a few delays to get it right seems like the correct call. We also had the chance for a team of professional photographers to volunteer their time to photograph some of his flies. This has been worth the wait as well as the fly photos are some of the best I've seen. Both volumes are in various states of layout with the volunteer team eyeing a fall release. I'll post notable progress on this thread and a release date when it's sent to the printers. We have the best of the best working on this passion project and we're getting closer to the finish line.

Thank you for the interest and support, we couldn't do it without our volunteer designers, photographers and of course the campaign backers who believe in Jay's vision.

FishChad707 08-20-2018 11:19 AM

I'm certainly interested in purchasing this unique volume set. Looks very well put together. Wish I knew about the kickstarter program.
Cheers

Laker 09-07-2018 07:47 PM

Any update?