Spey Pages banner

WTB Dingley 4" / Hardy Salmon No. 2

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  pbrstreetgang 
#1 ·
Hello fellas and gals,

Looking for a compatible reel for a Loomis 15' 8/9 wt greased liner. Preferably something old and loud.

Cheers.

#2 ·
Very good chance a Salmon 2 is too light unless you want to hold the blank above the cork. Personally I use reels that are 2-3 oz heavier on my 15' 8/9 rods. The Dingley may work better but I'm less familiar with their weights. Salmon 2 is only 10 oz.

#3 · (Edited)
surprisingly, a Salmon 2 just barely balances this rod horizontally when gripped on the cork, at the top, line belly out, static with no tension (no river current) pulling the line. A Salmon 3 adds only 1/2 oz of reel weight, but an extra 1-2 ounces backing weight, and IMO balances more steadily

#4 · (Edited)
Balancing 15' GLX

I'm with SSPey on this. You'll probably like a Salmon 3 better for the reason he states. The 3 is perfect for my T&T 1510-5. I used some 50 lb. dacron, and then 30 lb. to get it suitably full with the appropriate lines 250 yds. all told, it would have taken probably 400 yds of 30lb to get there, I think.
Speaking of Perfects... a lot more $ of course.

Chris

#6 ·
Food for thought if you are hell bent on a lighter reel-

I had a couple long rods that I couldn't get my reals to balance, so I was going to reel on some lead core line then my backing, fly line, and go that route, which likely would have worked...
But one day on the river, I found the ballance point was with my hand on the blank, and my pinky finger snug agianst the back of the cork...
Awkward as hell... At first...
I stayed with it, and started hooking fish that way, the feal of a strike when your are holding directly to the blank, is in a word, Sweet-
Also, I noted no hand fatigue after a long day, as you have no issue with gloves in the winter of over stressing your grip-
I still hold most of my rods this way, some, ballance with 2-3 fingers on the blank w/ the remainder on the cork- When you stick a fish, just slide your hand down on the cork, works slick... You might try it, just find where the ballance is right, and try it for a day or two, you may be surprised as I was at how comfy it ends up being to you...-
Peace on the h20
-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.