Spey Pages

Spey Pages (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/)
-   Instructors (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/77-instructors/)
-   -   Instructor's Certification (https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/77-instructors/12056-instructors-certification.html)

Klem 07-27-2003 12:20 PM

Instructor's Certification

I understand that at this year's FFF conclave (Idaho Falls in August) there will be an instructor's certificate test approved by the borad. Six members will be authorized to administer the test. Has anyone heard the same and what knowledge/skills will be required for the certificate.

Klem

Dana 07-28-2003 08:35 PM

While I haven't seen the final version of the test, the one I looked at back in late May was comprehensive and challenging. I know that some changes have been made based on committee and consultant feedback, and the final test will go before the FFF Board of Governors at the Conclave next month.

Once things are finalized with the FFF I'll ask Bill Gammel to fill us in on the details.

Bill Gammel 08-11-2003 06:02 PM

Dana, I sent you a summary this morning.

The test will be in two parts. The practical portion will cover 7 casts: overhead, roll cast, switch, single, double, snake roll, and snapT/c spey. Each cast will require several skills to be demonstrated. The distances required seem to be of some interest. The over head casts will require 70 -100 foot casts. The roll casts will require 70 foot casts. The rest of the casts will require distances of 80 feet with some skills requiring a shoot to 100.

The second part of the test will have oral questions. There will be roughly 9-10 manditory oral questions. These will heavily emphasize teaching and explanation skills. There will be a huge list of optional questions available if the tester does not feel that he or she has not determined the skill level.

Several other details must be worked out before testing begins. I hope to be bringing you details soon.

I will be checking in ever so often. Have a good day.

Bill Gammel

Tony Petrella 08-12-2003 10:11 AM

FFF certifications requirements

When I got my certification, it was a two-fold process. A written test, first, comprised of about 20 questions. After passing that, you go outside for casting. Accuracy, distance, specialty casts, the ability to demonstrate how NOT to cast (tailing loops, etc.) and identification of a caster's problem and the ability to correct those problems are all included.

The focus these days apparently is on the ability to teach--something that the early days of certification didn't emphasize as much.

Good luck.

Tight Loops,
CapT

Bill Gammel 08-12-2003 11:29 AM

Hi Tony,

This test is a little more comprehensive than the test you took. This test has to serve as a certification and masters at this point. Due to the fact that there is only one test. The test that you took should have had 6 questions at the end where you were to explain and demonstrate certain skills. The two handed test will have a lot of these type questions.

There will be basically four type questions: Explain, Explain and Demonstrate, Demonstrate correct form, Demonstrate poor form and correct it. I feel that you will find this test is very comprehensive for two handed casting in North America. All four skills are extremely important in teaching a class.

When I have more info to post I will let you all know.

Have a good day.
Bill