Spey Pages banner

Snake roll drill etc

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  thegrappler 
#1 ·
A little video from a training session doing snake roll drills etc on the none dominant side.
Gear
Line: Ballistic Vector 9/10 60ft head
Rod: Guideline LXi 14.9 9/10

https://vimeo.com/106566021

#2 ·
What is the point of casting to the same place over and over again with no real change of direction? Only thing that has a point is if you start from a total hang down and cast a snake roll strait across to the other bank...over and over! To me that is the only relevant, meaningful casting practice!

#3 ·
I get your critique!

I guess it doesn't show how much real change of direction it is. Can make another video showing it better. But if you want to get a flow and working on body movement combined with line control and accuracy it's not to bad of a drill and working with the same amount of line outside the rod tip. 60ft this time. Thats why trying to land the line on same spot over again. Sure I could cast the line to the other side but it doesn't give me much accept throwing it a long distance and it wasn't the purpose this time.

What is the point of casting to the same place over and over again with no real change of direction? Only thing that has a point is if you start from a total hang down and cast a snake roll strait across to the bank...over and over! That's fishing.

#4 ·
I was not concerned with the distance..was thinking the drill would be better with a much larger change of direction...from strait across to directly below..actually.When one is fishing, one would start the snake from hang down and place it very close to strait across from the standing position... much more difficult and relevant. Too me, anyway. I like and use snake rolls when conditions are right and think more folks should use them.

#6 ·
Thank you Jabster :)

Well practice in still water isn't really what I want but still it's practice.
It is for me to and uses it a lot when fishing running water both in up and down stream wind and just swap hands. Sure it is the cast to do when you wants to make big change of direction and if you want a high line speed as well for the build of the d-loop to generate more power to the delivery.

#8 ·
Good video: The cast actually shows up well. Not bad at all for non dominant-hand up where any and all practice is good. One thing I do to simulate moving water in lakes/ponds is to change hands after each cast and turn my body away to simulate the hang-down. This way I can put as much change in direction to the casts as if casting stream-side and I'm not taking up much more space, which can be a challenge in lakes/ponds. It makes it easier for me to see how and why the cast comes off well dominant hand up and to apply the same oblong-roll to my other side also. Like scribing a flattened "e" with a slow rod tip is what works very well for me.

#12 ·
Thank you guys!

The outfit is actually fairly new for me though but this combo is an awesome match.

Well I was suppose to do the THCI this past week in UK but i had to postpone and it didn't felt good at all. But i'm very pleased that my friend Tomas Lundqvist did pass his THCI :) So up to this date only two Sweeds are THCI instructurs. But a new chance will come next year in June and sure i will keep putting in the hours and be ready at the time.

/Tomas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.