For anyone interested, here's a sbs for the Claret Palmer.
Claret Palmer : Kelson (Hardy bros.)
Tag : Silver twist and dark blue silk
Tail : A topping and indian crow
Butt : Black herl
Body : Light red-claret silk
Ribs : Silver tinsel (oval)
Hackle : Blue, from second turn
Throat : Jay
Wings : Tippet strands, dark Turkey, Bustard, Golden Pheasant tail ; married strips of Swan dyed yellow, red, and blue ; and two
strips of Mallard above
Head : Black herl
Started out with a rudimentary sketch of the fly. I'm obviously no artist, but this got me thinking about the proportions I wanted to see. In the end, I didn't quite match my sketch, but it was still a useful exercise.
Tied in gut loop for the eye and started to build an underbody. A careful eye will see that it isn't very smooth. After this pic I unwrapped & re-did much of it, spending more time flattening my thread to get a smoother body.
Next a tip & tag over a slight tapered of underbody thread. (Before burnishing).
Tail, veil, butt & tinsel tie in. Made the crow sub from a pheasant I shot last fall.
Down & back floss, tinsel wrap & body hackle. Wish I had a longer feather so I could have done 1 more wrap on the body hackle.
Jay throat & tippet underwing. Never worked with Jay before. A bit tough to split, but I like the looks of it. Pattern calls for "tippet in strands" but I used this method. Still need to master the "strands" technique.
My 1st crack at the wing tie in turned out to be a little long, so I decided (after much deliberation), to pull them off & try again. Here are the wings after taking them off. The top one has been steamed, the bottom hasn't. Steaming the wings really brought them back to life.
Here's the new wing tie-in. Still has a little forward slippage of the top blue strand, but it was the best I could do.
Next came the roof. Got it in place with only 2 tries. Probably a record for me.
The final step was the herl head. Never easy for me, but I was pretty happy with it. Tried a few times before I got it. Using bow string wax helped (& I had it handy for the weekend hunt, which worked out nicely).