Slip Wing Attempt - Spey Pages
 13Likes
  • 6 Post By eriefisher
  • 2 Post By swingndeep
  • 1 Post By steelhead23
  • 1 Post By steelhead23
  • 1 Post By swingndeep
  • 1 Post By GR8LAKES FLYER
  • 1 Post By DLD
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Broken Down Spey Freak
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 1,218
Slip Wing Attempt

Trying to get these slip wings to work. I'm having trouble getting my fingers to cooperate. Thanks for looking.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200310_133249.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	357104   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200310_133259.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	357106  


Low Sodium Chrome-Fly Fishing Great Lakes Tribs!
eriefisher is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Registered User
 
swingndeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 706
try tapering you dubbed thorax down to the tie off point. it will help prevent the slip from splitting there will be less of a hump to fit the wings over.
steelguy and eriefisher like this.


Winters Hope Fly Fishers
swingndeep is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Undertaker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: clackamas
Posts: 1,293
Slip wings are a bear to tie. The guys that make married slip wing flies are the magicians of our sport. Generally, the wing should extend to the bend of the hook. Yours look a tad short. And they are upside down (taper should go such that the top is the longest part). But, you know what? The fish won't care - the somewhat splayed wing should give the fly some movement. It gets easier with practice.
eriefisher likes this.
steelhead23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Broken Down Spey Freak
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingndeep View Post
try tapering you dubbed thorax down to the tie off point. it will help prevent the slip from splitting there will be less of a hump to fit the wings over.
I used 2 separate slips, one on each side. Do you mean use 1 slip to lay over top? I'm not sure I understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead23 View Post
Slip wings are a bear to tie. The guys that make married slip wing flies are the magicians of our sport. Generally, the wing should extend to the bend of the hook. Yours look a tad short. And they are upside down (taper should go such that the top is the longest part). But, you know what? The fish won't care - the somewhat splayed wing should give the fly some movement. It gets easier with practice.
I used this slip length to match body length somewhat. Should they extend beyond? I also wanted the tip to be down and away, should they be up and inwards?

I appreciate the input. I'm struggling with this format.

Dan


Low Sodium Chrome-Fly Fishing Great Lakes Tribs!
eriefisher is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 04:14 PM
Undertaker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: clackamas
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriefisher View Post
I used this slip length to match body length somewhat. Should they extend beyond? I also wanted the tip to be down and away, should they be up and inwards?

I appreciate the input. I'm struggling with this format.

Dan
It is a matter of style. On a tail-less fly I tie wings to the bend. On tailed flies, a tad past the bend. But honestly, it is your fly, your style and you are going to fish it, so it is entirely up to you. Now, you could get a book, or copy a fly.
eriefisher likes this.
steelhead23 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Registered User
 
swingndeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriefisher View Post
I used 2 separate slips, one on each side. Do you mean use 1 slip to lay over top? I'm not sure I understood.


Dan
No, Use two slips like you did but by tapering the body/thorax down your reducing the bump the the wings have to cover. This will make them easier to tie in and reduce the chances of the feather fibers spiting apart. I like to tie them in one at a time, I reverse my thread so i'm wrapping towards me and I tie in the far wing. then I reverse my thread back to wrapping away form me and tie in the near wing. By reversing my thread I can pull each slip towards the middle of the fly as I tie them in. I like my slip wings in a V shape by reversing your thread you can easily pull the wings as close together as you want.

I hope this makes sense
eriefisher likes this.


Winters Hope Fly Fishers
swingndeep is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Broken Down Spey Freak
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingndeep View Post
No, Use two slips like you did but by tapering the body/thorax down your reducing the bump the the wings have to cover. This will make them easier to tie in and reduce the chances of the feather fibers spiting apart. I like to tie them in one at a time, I reverse my thread so i'm wrapping towards me and I tie in the far wing. then I reverse my thread back to wrapping away form me and tie in the near wing. By reversing my thread I can pull each slip towards the middle of the fly as I tie them in. I like my slip wings in a V shape by reversing your thread you can easily pull the wings as close together as you want.

I hope this makes sense
OK. Makes sense now. Good idea to reverse the thread direction.

Dan


Low Sodium Chrome-Fly Fishing Great Lakes Tribs!
eriefisher is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 06:34 PM
Administrator
 
GR8LAKES FLYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: All Rivers flowing into Georgian Bay
Posts: 17,587
Some good advice here.
Easy on the body thickness, taper towards the eye, build a nice "ramp" at the head (good base).
Tie both in at the same time, use lots of finger pressure up front. One loose wrap of thread and tighten "upwards" slowly. Make two more tight wraps and let go of the finger pressure. One or two more wraps, one in front of the other - always.

Tips up for display ... tips down for fishing

Go either way is fine ... tips down gives a nice tapered profile (sleek) on the swing ... tips up is a blunt profile at the back end on the swing, also the traditional setting.


Mike
eriefisher likes this.

Have you Swung a Spey Fly today ??
GR8LAKES FLYER is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 12:54 AM
DLD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bc interior, kootenay
Posts: 226
That fly looks good to my eye and thanks all for the advice on setting the wings valuable info for sure . Daryl
eriefisher likes this.
DLD is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome