Dry Fly Steelhead In Cold Water - Spey Pages
 58Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
808steelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon Steelhead Water
Posts: 1,907
Dry Fly Steelhead In Cold Water

As some may know, I am unusually driven when it comes to raising steelhead to the surface. My journey has taken me to a place where I fish surface flies every month of the year, even through the colder seasons of late fall through early spring. I do, on occasion, fish wet flies on a dry line during harsh winter conditions, but otherwise the use of surface flies is a constant.

November is a month when water temps typically reach the mid 40's and by then, faith in surface methods can be hard to muster. Fishing on top through winter has got to be a total craziness....

In the course of my wacky experiment, what I have learned is that steelhead will sometimes rise to surface flies in conditions when most every other normal person has brought out their Skagits and tips.

Getting into surface steelhead in November and December is no longer an impossibility as personal experiences have shown and I continually push the surface steelhead limits through winter. Thus far, January is the only month when I have not risen Steelhead to the surface.

Of course, I am hoping that this is the year when a January dry fly steelhead becomes a reality!

So are there any others out there dabbling in this type of insanity? If so, tell me about your thoughts and experiences with your cold water dry fly steelhead journey.

Todd


My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
808steelheader is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 PM
BULL DOG!!!!
 
fisshman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: B.C.- trout and steelies
Posts: 1,637
It can be done....Iíve seen it be done by Zack Williams middle of January.......keep the faith and have some bubblegum handy

Bruce Kruk
________________

Team Gaelforce

Columbia river Speyed trout guide
Ruggedpointlodge.com
Columbia River Flyfishing
fisshman26 is online now  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 09:43 PM
Registered User
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 1,043
I would love to try it here. The rivers have been a bit high and somewhat clear. Don't forget cold. I think these conditions keep the fish moving and create a good case for a skated fly. What sizes/colours would be your choice?

Dan

Which way to the river?
eriefisher is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
808steelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon Steelhead Water
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisshman26 View Post
It can be done....I’ve seen it be done by Zack Williams middle of January.......keep the faith and have some bubblegum handy <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" class="inlineimg" />
Hey Bruce,
Will definitely keep bubble gum handy! Zack's the man, will follow his example.

Todd
fisshman26 likes this.


My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
808steelheader is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
808steelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon Steelhead Water
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriefisher View Post
I would love to try it here. The rivers have been a bit high and somewhat clear. Don't forget cold. I think these conditions keep the fish moving and create a good case for a skated fly. What sizes/colours would be your choice?

Dan
I fish mostly 2s, never know until you try. I have had success on yellow/orange, purple/black, now trying pink.

Good luck,
Todd
eriefisher likes this.


My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
808steelheader is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Administrator
 
GR8LAKES FLYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: All Rivers flowing into Georgian Bay
Posts: 16,984
Well, if the rivers aren't solid in January in my area, I would give it a try
I'm not as far gone with the surface grab as you are Todd, but there is an itch there
Success on my home river has been during the months of September and October, with one crazy fish smashing the surface in early December last year.
Everybody knows that GL's steelhead don't take surface flies .....


Mike

Have you Swung a Spey Fly today ??
GR8LAKES FLYER is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Registered User
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8LAKES FLYER View Post
Everybody knows that GL's steelhead don't take surface flies .....


Mike
I keep hearing that but have seen evidence otherwise.

Dan

Which way to the river?
eriefisher is online now  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
808steelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon Steelhead Water
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8LAKES FLYER View Post
Well, if the rivers aren't solid in January in my area, I would give it a try <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" class="inlineimg" />
I'm not as far gone with the surface grab as you are Todd, but there is an itch there <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/hihi.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Hihi" class="inlineimg" />
Success on my home river has been during the months of September and October, with one crazy fish smashing the surface in early December last year.
Everybody knows that GL's steelhead don't take surface flies ..... <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/chuckle.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Chuckle" class="inlineimg" /><img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/chuckle.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Chuckle" class="inlineimg" />


Mike
So sorry Mike. I forgot that your rivers freeze over in winter! Us west coasters are spoiled with open, flowing rivers all year. Might need an ice auger waker for your area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriefisher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8LAKES FLYER View Post
Everybody knows that GL's steelhead don't take surface flies ..... <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/chuckle.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Chuckle" class="inlineimg" /><img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/chuckle.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Chuckle" class="inlineimg" />


Mike
I keep hearing that but have seen evidence otherwise.

Dan
I know Mike and others have shown that GL steelhead do take surface flies. Sometimes 99% of finding successes with surface flies is showing up to the river and fishing them. Traditions. and regional/local beliefs can prevent folks from believing that alternative methods can work.

On my local ditch, the common mentality is these are mostly hatchery steelhead, they won't move to a fly, so sink tips or indicator fishing is where it's at. As a result, I have been among the few who bother fishing surface flies here. Guess what? I have gotten more dry fly steelhead on my homewater than all othe rivers combined. So.... don't be afraid to challenge those local customs and traditions. Don't worry about the strange looks from the center pinners, right Mike, Larry?

Todd


My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
808steelheader is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hebo
Posts: 630
Todd -

I was planning to fish a wet this afternoon until this post. Dang you! However, I ALWAYS have the dries in my box and ready to go. Interestingly, my home waters are not very cold -- high 40's. The flows are low -- at least for one more day -- and when fishing last weekend, I saw a number of large trout rise to the surface to feed. When looking for a player, it's hard to think of a better search tool than a skater. And we all know that steelhead don't play by the 'rules'. So thanks for putting a stick in my spokes for my planned outing.
kalamaman likes this.
Read1t48 is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
808steelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon Steelhead Water
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read1t48 View Post
Todd -

I was planning to fish a wet this afternoon until this post. Dang you! However, I ALWAYS have the dries in my box and ready to go. Interestingly, my home waters are not very cold -- high 40's. The flows are low -- at least for one more day -- and when fishing last weekend, I saw a number of large trout rise to the surface to feed. When looking for a player, it's hard to think of a better search tool than a skater. And we all know that steelhead don't play by the 'rules'. So thanks for putting a stick in my spokes for my planned outing.
Sorry for the stick! Don't let this post ruin your enjoyment of wet fly fishing as that is not my intention, it's just that the reality I choose can be a lonely place and it's my own fault!

I agree the surface fly can be a good locator for players. Utilizing a method during what can seem like near impossible conditions is insanity for most. Sometimes I am not sure how I arrived in this place of accepting such low odds in an already difficult game where few steelhead are encountered to begin with. I have a strange tolerance for not catching many steelhead, maybe not a healthy state of mind...
Todd
Read1t48 likes this.


My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
808steelheader is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Registered User
 
velocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Umpqua / Rogue River
Posts: 24
Over my past few seasons on the Rogue and NU I have moved into a fairly standard procedure when swinging flies for steelhead. Time of year or water conditions don't influence my procedure other than fly color (brighter flies for dirtier water). I may be a bit OCD as I hate wasting time relining so I have a different rod for each situation. I have four rods I use for either skating or swinging a wet on a tip in either big water or small water.

Bigger PNW river:
Surface rig - 13'3" Winston BIIX 7wt w/ Airflo Rage, 10ft Airflo steelhead floating leader, and then usually another 3-4 ft of Maxima for tippet.
Subsurface rig - 12'7" Beulah Classic Spey 7/8wt w/ Airflo Skagit Compact G2, 12.5' of T8/T11, , 6" cheater of ~30lb Maxima (save your tips loop to loop), and then 2'-3' OPST 18lb fluorocarbon

Smaller PNW river:
Surface rig - 10'4" Beulah Platinum Switch 6wt w/ OPST Commando, 10' OPST Floating tip, 10ft Airflo steelhead floating leader, 3-4ft Maxima/Rio tippet
Subsurface rig - 10'8" Beulah Platinum Switch 7wt w/ OPST Commando, 12' OPST Run tip (T8/T11 also works), 6" cheater of ~30lb Maxima, and then 2'-3' OPST 18lb fluorocarbon

My goal has been a sort of on going experiment to see which way yields better results (surface vs subsurface). I wanted to be sure I was covering every hole I fished as efficiently as any other fly fisherman could. I wanted to increase my hookups skating, but I didn't want to feel like I was missing fish by not fishing those runs subsurface. Currently I work my way through every run with the surface rig some times dead wake, some times popping. Then I re-fish the same run with my subsurface rig if I don't encounter a fish while fishing the surface rig.

Generally I skate an October caddis or green butt styled foam skater and swing subsurface with various small traditional steelhead wet flies or 2"-3" single station unweighted/lightly weighted articulated flies. Rarely do I find the need to put on T14/T18 and dredge with a heavily weighted 2 station dumbbell eye. I feel like I do fairly well, and I hook up regularly fishing each way. Fishing subsurface does seem to produce more fish when the water is cold during the winter season, but you can't catch fish on a dry if you are not fishing one. I have encountered steelhead on the NU that still rise to a waked fly in the winter months before the river totally blows out. It is very rare considering the number of fish around this time of year in the NU's system, but I specifically remember one in front of our house in the fly water that hammered a waked fly in December last year. Skate first, then swing a wet.
velocity is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Administrator
 
GR8LAKES FLYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: All Rivers flowing into Georgian Bay
Posts: 16,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808steelheader View Post
So sorry Mike. I forgot that your rivers freeze over in winter! Us west coasters are spoiled with open, flowing rivers all year. Might need an ice auger waker for your area!



I know Mike and others have shown that GL steelhead do take surface flies. Sometimes 99% of finding successes with surface flies is showing up to the river and fishing them. Traditions. and regional/local beliefs can prevent folks from believing that alternative methods can work.

On my local ditch, the common mentality is these are mostly hatchery steelhead, they won't move to a fly, so sink tips or indicator fishing is where it's at. As a result, I have been among the few who bother fishing surface flies here. Guess what? I have gotten more dry fly steelhead on my homewater than all othe rivers combined. So.... don't be afraid to challenge those local customs and traditions. Don't worry about the strange looks from the center pinners, right Mike, Larry?

Todd
Yes, my post was very sarcastic. During the warmer fall (September/October), my first fly when I approach a run is usually a surface fly of some sort. Whether it's a hitched muddler, greaseliner or one of your Wangs, the surface gets the first chance. If I finish the run with no players, I then decide if I want to re-fish it with either another surface fly or a wet fly. More often I lean towards another surface fly. The Butterfly has done well for me as a back end fly

I had one pinner yell back to me as he passed me by and below the area I was fishing and said that something must be wrong with my set up because my fly was swinging across the surface. I just yelled back and thanked him

It took some self convincing at first to try the surface game, especially being in the GL's and even more so, my home river. My final decision was that I would never know if I didn't try .... really glad I stuck with it

Todd, you're dealing crack man .... thanks


Mike

Have you Swung a Spey Fly today ??
GR8LAKES FLYER is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Registered User
 
flyfisher231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willamette, North Umpqua
Posts: 89
I have been fishing mostly dry this Fall. Definitely my first choice. When I use tips it is not so much hoping for more fish as I just like to challenge myself to try new things. Not to mention I bought the tips and I hate to think I totally waisted my money on them. Of course that ship may have already sailed, with how rarely they are used.
I figure if it is not too cold for a trout to rise, why not a Steelhead. And on my home river trout routinely rise midday.
flyfisher231 is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 03:52 PM
Registered User
 
flyfisher231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willamette, North Umpqua
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808steelheader View Post
I fish mostly 2s, never know until you try. I have had success on yellow/orange, purple/black, now trying pink.

Good luck,
Todd
What is your theory on the larger waker in cold weather? Do you just think the bigger commotion will do more to excite a lethargic steelhead?
flyfisher231 is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
808steelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon Steelhead Water
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity View Post
Over my past few seasons on the Rogue and NU I have moved into a fairly standard procedure when swinging flies for steelhead. Time of year or water conditions don't influence my procedure other than fly color (brighter flies for dirtier water). I may be a bit OCD as I hate wasting time relining so I have a different rod for each situation. I have four rods I use for either skating or swinging a wet on a tip in either big water or small water.

Bigger PNW river:
Surface rig - 13'3" Winston BIIX 7wt w/ Airflo Rage, 10ft Airflo steelhead floating leader, and then usually another 3-4 ft of Maxima for tippet.
Subsurface rig - 12'7" Beulah Classic Spey 7/8wt w/ Airflo Skagit Compact G2, 12.5' of T8/T11, , 6" cheater of ~30lb Maxima (save your tips loop to loop), and then 2'-3' OPST 18lb fluorocarbon

Smaller PNW river:
Surface rig - 10'4" Beulah Platinum Switch 6wt w/ OPST Commando, 10' OPST Floating tip, 10ft Airflo steelhead floating leader, 3-4ft Maxima/Rio tippet
Subsurface rig - 10'8" Beulah Platinum Switch 7wt w/ OPST Commando, 12' OPST Run tip (T8/T11 also works), 6" cheater of ~30lb Maxima, and then 2'-3' OPST 18lb fluorocarbon

My goal has been a sort of on going experiment to see which way yields better results (surface vs subsurface). I wanted to be sure I was covering every hole I fished as efficiently as any other fly fisherman could. I wanted to increase my hookups skating, but I didn't want to feel like I was missing fish by not fishing those runs subsurface. Currently I work my way through every run with the surface rig some times dead wake, some times popping. Then I re-fish the same run with my subsurface rig if I don't encounter a fish while fishing the surface rig.

Generally I skate an October caddis or green butt styled foam skater and swing subsurface with various small traditional steelhead wet flies or 2"-3" single station unweighted/lightly weighted articulated flies. Rarely do I find the need to put on T14/T18 and dredge with a heavily weighted 2 station dumbbell eye. I feel like I do fairly well, and I hook up regularly fishing each way. Fishing subsurface does seem to produce more fish when the water is cold during the winter season, but you can't catch fish on a dry if you are not fishing one. I have encountered steelhead on the NU that still rise to a waked fly in the winter months before the river totally blows out. It is very rare considering the number of fish around this time of year in the NU's system, but I specifically remember one in front of our house in the fly water that hammered a waked fly in December last year. Skate first, then swing a wet.
Velocity: I like your style! I bet going through subsurface on subsequent passes teaches you more about where steelhead hold and what factors may be conducive to cold water dry fly steelhead encounters. Great to hear of your cold water surface experiences on the NU. I fish there a lot in summer and fall so I am sure we have crossed paths. We may need to meet sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8LAKES FLYER View Post

Yes, my post was very sarcastic. During the warmer fall (September/October), my first fly when I approach a run is usually a surface fly of some sort. Whether it's a hitched muddler, greaseliner or one of your Wangs, the surface gets the first chance. If I finish the run with no players, I then decide if I want to re-fish it with either another surface fly or a wet fly. More often I lean towards another surface fly. The Butterfly has done well for me as a back end fly <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/biggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" class="inlineimg" />

I had one pinner yell back to me as he passed me by and below the area I was fishing and said that something must be wrong with my set up because my fly was swinging across the surface. I just yelled back and thanked him <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/hihi.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Hihi" class="inlineimg" />

It took some self convincing at first to try the surface game, especially being in the GL's and even more so, my home river. My final decision was that I would never know if I didn't try .... really glad I stuck with it <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" class="inlineimg" />

Todd, you're dealing crack man .... thanks <img src="http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" class="inlineimg" />


Mike
I'll never forget the excitement conveyed in your posts with your early dry fly steelhead successes! The validation that your local steelhead could be caught on the surface is priceless. Glad that you caught the fever!


Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher231 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808steelheader View Post
I fish mostly 2s, never know until you try. I have had success on yellow/orange, purple/black, now trying pink.

Good luck,
Todd
What is your theory on the larger waker in cold weather? Do you just think the bigger commotion will do more to excite a lethargic steelhead?
A larger surface fly could be better at attracting cold water steelhead, however the wakers I fish are not huge. The size 2s I fish are tied on bait hooks so they are similar in size to typical #4s or #6s.

Todd


My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
808steelheader is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome