Dries for steel - Spey Pages
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By steeliesncarp
  • 1 Post By GR8LAKES FLYER
  • 1 Post By steeliesncarp
  • 1 Post By RobP
  • 1 Post By steeliesncarp
  • 2 Post By 808steelheader
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
MrT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: American River, Delta
Posts: 35
Dries for steel

Here in unicalifornia, I fish the American river but have had almost ZERO luck getting fish to rise to a dry. We can get some risers to small caddis, but bombers, waking patterns, I dunno if its me or what but I cannot get a fish to give a look like other rivers. Anyone else around NorCal feel the same?
MrT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NoCal
Posts: 210
Mr T,

I have been diligently trying to raise adult fish to the skated fly on the American for the last 5 seasons, and Iíve noted my lack of success on past posts. Unless there are caddis coming off, they just donít seem to look up the way Klamath, Trinity and other fish do. I started because I had something blow up on a Spey pattern the moment it hit the surface in Dec 2014, and I have had exactly one (1) come up since. Fall and spring bluebacks respond well to dry lined soft hackles, as have some winter adult fish, and Iíve picked up down river adults on skated caddis during the aforementioned caddis hatches. But as far as skating up adult fish in likely looking water, it just hasnít happened for me. Iím still trying, but losing enthusiasm with each attempt. Iím also a Browns fan, so itís a feeling Iím familiar with.
GR8LAKES FLYER, DarthWader and MrT like this.

"Only the mediocre are always at their best" - Andy Capp
steeliesncarp is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Administrator
 
GR8LAKES FLYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: All Rivers flowing into Georgian Bay
Posts: 16,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeliesncarp View Post
Iím also a Browns fan, so itís a feeling Iím familiar with.
Bah-hahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!
I really have to stop drinking coffee when reading these pages ...
Good morning laugh though


Mike
eriefisher likes this.

Have you Swung a Spey Fly today ??
GR8LAKES FLYER is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 10:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NoCal
Posts: 210
Itís funny because itís true...🤬
GR8LAKES FLYER likes this.

"Only the mediocre are always at their best" - Andy Capp
steeliesncarp is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 388
GO Browns!!
HumberRskagit likes this.
RobP is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Registered User
 
DarthWader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
GO Browns!!
The most aptly named sports team in the world.

I'm a Lions fan through marriage, so I can't talk.
DarthWader is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Registered User
 
flyfisher231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willamette, North Umpqua
Posts: 89
Since you had one blow up on a Spey fly, maybe just riffle hitch your wets. You may not see your fly as well, but still get the thrill of a surface grab.
flyfisher231 is online now  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NoCal
Posts: 210
I usually start with a riffle hitched muddler, which was the one other surface grab Iíve scared up since 2014. Iíve had a couple of unseen pulls, and caught a number of half pounders up to 22Ē. But, as I mentioned before, the adults just arenít into it. Itís baffling, but it is what it is. Still, I keep doing more or less the same thing, expecting a different result. What do they call that again?
flyfisher231 likes this.

"Only the mediocre are always at their best" - Andy Capp
steeliesncarp is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
MrT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: American River, Delta
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeliesncarp View Post
Mr T,

I have been diligently trying to raise adult fish to the skated fly on the American for the last 5 seasons, and Iíve noted my lack of success on past posts. Unless there are caddis coming off, they just donít seem to look up the way Klamath, Trinity and other fish do. I started because I had something blow up on a Spey pattern the moment it hit the surface in Dec 2014, and I have had exactly one (1) come up since. Fall and spring bluebacks respond well to dry lined soft hackles, as have some winter adult fish, and Iíve picked up down river adults on skated caddis during the aforementioned caddis hatches. But as far as skating up adult fish in likely looking water, it just hasnít happened for me. Iím still trying, but losing enthusiasm with each attempt. Iím also a Browns fan, so itís a feeling Iím familiar with.
So its not just me- all my past steel fishing is single hand so this will be my first year of TH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWader View Post
The most aptly named sports team in the world.

I'm a Lions fan through marriage, so I can't talk.
Try being a raider fan
MrT is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 12:26 PM
Registered User
 
flyfisher231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willamette, North Umpqua
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeliesncarp View Post
I usually start with a riffle hitched muddler, which was the one other surface grab Iíve scared up since 2014. Iíve had a couple of unseen pulls, and caught a number of half pounders up to 22Ē. But, as I mentioned before, the adults just arenít into it. Itís baffling, but it is what it is. Still, I keep doing more or less the same thing, expecting a different result. What do they call that again?
I hear you. I have a river I fish with fish which will take skated dries. But I have recently started fishing a section of the river where people are having regular hook ups with tips and leaches. I have yet to raise a steelhead in this run and I am starting to wonder if they just will not come up in this run. The water is a little slower than some runs, but otherwise I do not see why they would not come up.
flyfisher231 is online now  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 01:40 AM
Registered User
 
808steelheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon Steelhead Water
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
Here in unicalifornia, I fish the American river but have had almost ZERO luck getting fish to rise to a dry. We can get some risers to small caddis, but bombers, waking patterns, I dunno if its me or what but I cannot get a fish to give a look like other rivers. Anyone else around NorCal feel the same?
My standard suggestion....don't give up, keep trying! They are steelhead doggonnit! Maybe keep experimenting with fishing various locations and see if you may find a locale that lends to better to the surface fly. On my local ditch, for one reason or another, some spots yield more rises than others. Keep the faith, when success happens, it will be sweet. Don't worry about not catching all the fish, you are on a learning curve, keep the surface fly a constant so you can discover conditional/location variables that bring success.

Good luck on your journey!

Todd
flyfisher231 and Outcast like this.


My Blog:
Dryline Steelhead - Oregon
http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/
808steelheader is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Registered User
 
flyfisher231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willamette, North Umpqua
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808steelheader View Post
My standard suggestion....don't give up, keep trying! They are steelhead doggonnit! Maybe keep experimenting with fishing various locations and see if you may find a locale that lends to better to the surface fly. On my local ditch, for one reason or another, some spots yield more rises than others. Keep the faith, when success happens, it will be sweet. Don't worry about not catching all the fish, you are on a learning curve, keep the surface fly a constant so you can discover conditional/location variables that bring success.

Good luck on your journey!

Todd
Good advice Todd. Of course we are talking about the same ditch. The spot I am struggling to dial in produces rainbows and cuts to the dry regularly. So it just has to give one up eventually. Also I did see one do a head tail rise there the other day. Which gives me a little more hope I do not have to To go underwater for them.
flyfisher231 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome