Stripers on the fly - Page 3 - Spey Pages
 81Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Registered User
 
fish0n4evr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The mid-Pacific.
Posts: 4,752
Stripped bass have made a strong comeback in the Chesapeake Bay and tributaries. Quite a success story actually. C & R until mid May. Recent open-seasons have remain until mid June.

These fish once ranged from St Lawrence River to the Gulf of Mexico!
fish0n4evr is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Registered User
 
speyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregobr View Post
I started trying for stripers in MA a few years ago when visiting the in-laws. I’ve gotten into some nice ones with a guide by boat, but have only been getting schoolie sized from the beach and estuary banks. The two hander makes it much more pleasurable for me to cast. I use a Meiser 8 wt switch and also a Beulah Opal 2 hander. Pic is the typical size I got a ton of in October.
Weve been in a zone like this and are experiencing the same from Montauk to egg harbor. fyi. They are great fun on a little 6 wt though. Schoolies!
GHalliday likes this.

What I lack in skill --- I make up for with enthusiasm.
speyday is offline  
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Registered User
 
speyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregobr View Post
I started trying for stripers in MA a few years ago when visiting the in-laws. I’ve gotten into some nice ones with a guide by boat, but have only been getting schoolie sized from the beach and estuary banks. The two hander makes it much more pleasurable for me to cast. I use a Meiser 8 wt switch and also a Beulah Opal 2 hander. Pic is the typical size I got a ton of in October.
Weve been in a zone like this and are experiencing the same from Montauk to egg harbor. fyi. the cows just dont come in consistently; menhaden populations near shore are way down if you ask the experts. I dunno.
They are great fun on a little 6 wt though. Schoolies!

What I lack in skill --- I make up for with enthusiasm.
speyday is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:38 PM
Registered User
 
gt05254's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Batten Kill
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by speyday View Post
Is there ample pubic access and camping available in theses sections vs. more popular private beats/sites? I hestitate because of the exclusive and costly reputation of those rivers; Im DIY guy and would enjoy visiting a spot or 2 on the cheap to fill the cooler and see some sights.
Yes, but you'll need a boat, and likely a guide because the Northwest is a scheduled (i.e., salmon) river. But where the bass are is public water. Sorry I can't talk to the camping question, but good old google should be of some help.

Gary
gt05254 is offline  
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:57 PM
Registered User
 
ENSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Yes, but you'll need a boat, and likely a guide because the Northwest is a scheduled (i.e., salmon) river. But where the bass are is public water. Sorry I can't talk to the camping question, but good old google should be of some help.

Gary
Was not aware of the importance of the NW Miramichi for spawning Gulf of St. Lawrence Striped bass.

I also read that numbers have sky-rocketed up in the past couple of years, likely due to warming sea waters. Would surmise/guess that marine survival of Atlantic salmon smolts will suffer.

Looks like it can be a big social event and a big pay day for local sellers of gasoline.


°

Science is not common sense. Much of it is devoted to a systematic documentation of what we do not know and understand.
ENSO is offline  
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Registered User
 
thundercleez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 101
I recently read an article in a magazine, cant remember which, about the Miramichi and its striped bass. Over a million stripers returning recently. Impressive. Also, I hear anecdotes from federal wildlife biologists here on the Oregon coast about stripers so packed into pools they couldn’t understand what was going on below the boat.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thundercleez is offline  
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:17 AM
Registered User
 
rakuz66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SE Pennsylvania waters
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercleez View Post
I recently read an article in a magazine, cant remember which, about the Miramichi and its striped bass. Over a million stripers returning recently. Impressive. Also, I hear anecdotes from federal wildlife biologists here on the Oregon coast about stripers so packed into pools they couldn’t understand what was going on below the boat.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Watched a show on that topic recently,, lotta stripers but they gotta eat something and apparently they are foraging on the salmon fry,,,
Palmered likes this.
rakuz66 is offline  
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
thundercleez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuz66 View Post
Watched a show on that topic recently,, lotta stripers but they gotta eat something and apparently they are foraging on the salmon fry,,,


Oh yea. I believe striper predation on salmon and steelhead is probably much higher than most people can believe or imagine. I mean there are seriously a lot of stripers out there, with no real data.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thundercleez is offline  
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:56 PM
Registered User
 
Yooper-Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Upper Peninsula Michigan
Posts: 879
Are these flies too big

Just wondering how these flies would work if I ever took a trip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2BC752C2-0B0B-4396-AC0B-2DE97FD90EBE.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	341290  
jimlucey likes this.

You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

PSALM 16:11
Yooper-Fly is offline  
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Registered User
 
Rick.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: American and Sacramento rivers
Posts: 67
While not the king of the sea, I got this striper, my first ever in the surf, last week in Monterey Bay, CA. I was using my 6/7 Beulah switch rod, Hatch 7 reel, OPST 325 grain head and 10' of t-11 with a homemade fly. I'm stoked for getting more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset striper 41219.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	712.5 KB
ID:	341698  
bender, Uncle Stu and GHalliday like this.
Rick.H is offline  
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 14
nice little guy. bet it was fun on that 6wt.
interesting how the stripes mutated out there.
hope you find his momma.... she will bend that rod of yours through the grip
johnnymiz is offline  
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: West Coast
Posts: 99
5 wt switch 10ft

Can I use a 5wt 10FT switch for the stripers and what are my limitation?
I made a Frankenstein switch rod out of a Gloomis GLX Roaring River 5wt 11ft. Lost the bottom section and had Steve built me a new one and made it to 10FT.
Androidloop is offline  
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidloop View Post
Can I use a 5wt 10FT switch for the stripers and what are my limitation?
I made a Frankenstein switch rod out of a Gloomis GLX Roaring River 5wt 11ft. Lost the bottom section and had Steve built me a new one and made it to 10FT.
I think the light line weight limits fly size and/or fishing range, especially when casting to head wind. Also when you hook big fish you need to limit the pressure you possibly can produce if rod handle is what switch rods usually have not to break blank.

Esa
Androidloop likes this.
bender is offline  
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Registered User
 
GHalliday's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidloop View Post
Can I use a 5wt 10FT switch for the stripers and what are my limitation?
I made a Frankenstein switch rod out of a Gloomis GLX Roaring River 5wt 11ft. Lost the bottom section and had Steve built me a new one and made it to 10FT.

bender said it. Go with a bigger rod. If you are fishing stripers you are fishing the tide. If the correct tide happens to be in the afternoon then there will be some wind and you will need that extra bit of oomph to get your fly to the fish.
Androidloop likes this.
GHalliday is offline  
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Uncle Stu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.H View Post
While not the king of the sea, I got this striper, my first ever in the surf, last week in Monterey Bay, CA. I was using my 6/7 Beulah switch rod, Hatch 7 reel, OPST 325 grain head and 10' of t-11 with a homemade fly. I'm stoked for getting more!
way to go Rick! they finally showed up down here, I got two this week, will post some pics.

____________________________________

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Uncle Stu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prototype tube fly for stripers pork Hooks, Feathers and Floss 8 03-19-2018 08:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome