Speyco staff - Spey Pages
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Speyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 577
Speyco staff

Good morning everybody I just signed up for my 2013 speypages sponsor again I am so looking forward to sharing another great year of my builds so lets start here.

I was asked to make, so here you are SpeyCo garbage sticks.

The "Garbage Stick" is made for keeping the streams clean of rubbish like spawn bags, worm containers, water bottles,, You know the drill,, if you are like me I always leave the area cleared of all the crap that people seem to love to toss stream side.Just so we are clear NOT intending for an "emergency" wading staff but the buyer can do with it as they wish.

Features

One piece thick wall hard anodized aluminum staff just what you need to be keeping the world clean.

part A/B lanyard attachment A stays with staff, B with you jacket. In my opinion the only way for hole jumping.

Hardened stainless steel tip.

Grade A cork handle

Thick Stretchable black cord.

Custom cut to your length requirements .

USA made


suggested retail price 149.00. But A limited time introductory speypages offer On sale 99.99. plus shipping
paypal or check would be fine by me.







This discounted price offer will be for a limited time. If you own a fly shop or outfitters service I would be more than happy to work with you on wholesale bulk orders. So you would have these on hand for your clients.
Thanks so much for looking and God bless

Tim
SpeyCo fly reels
www speyco net
Speyco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
montanafos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Big Sky Rivers & Clearwater River
Posts: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speyco View Post
Good morning everybody I just signed up for my 2013 speypages sponsor again I am so looking forward to sharing another great year of my builds so lets start here.

I was asked to make, so here you are SpeyCo garbage sticks.

The "Garbage Stick" is made for keeping the streams clean of rubbish like spawn bags, worm containers, water bottles,, You know the drill,, if you are like me I always leave the area cleared of all the crap that people seem to love to toss stream side.Just so we are clear NOT intending for an "emergency" wading staff but the buyer can do with it as they wish.

Features

One piece thick wall hard anodized aluminum staff just what you need to be keeping the world clean.

part A/B lanyard attachment A stays with staff, B with you jacket. In my opinion the only way for hole jumping.

Hardened stainless steel tip.

Grade A cork handle

Thick Stretchable black cord.

Custom cut to your length requirements .

USA made


suggested retail price 149.00. But A limited time introductory speypages offer On sale 99.99. plus shipping
paypal or check would be fine by me.







This discounted price offer will be for a limited time. If you own a fly shop or outfitters service I would be more than happy to work with you on wholesale bulk orders. So you would have these on hand for your clients.
Thanks so much for looking and God bless
I own one...gorgeous, solid, very comfortable grip. Just received it and will have it on the water with me in a few weeks. As with his reels...very pleased with my staff.
montanafos is offline  
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Robert
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CA Sierra, Nor Cal
Posts: 54
Speyco Staff

Is it possible to remove either the tip or handle to add shot if one desired?
Angelduro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
montanafos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Big Sky Rivers & Clearwater River
Posts: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelduro View Post
Is it possible to remove either the tip or handle to add shot if one desired?
Looking at mine I would say that it's possible, but probably something I would want Tim to do at the time of manufacture. Shoot him a message or give him a call. I would expect he'll probably chime in as well on this thread.
montanafos is offline  
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Lucky Bastard
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salmon River NY
Posts: 671
So it is not weighted? How long is it?

Looks like another great product from Tim.

Scott

With the hollow cries of a loon echoing off the mountains,the mist rises from the water like a thousand ghostly spirits freed at last of their earthly torments.It is here that my life falls into focus.
hooked is offline  
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Speyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 577
Thanks for the replies,
The tip is really heavy I will get the weight for you. It is pressed in , with adhesive then pinned so really no way to get it out and like an ice burg a bit little hidden bellow the surface,,, but If extra weight is needed you know me I am the "weight guy" I could add epoxy/shot with little trouble in your assembly if you like. No problem

These are cut to your length so again "very Speyco" What I have been telling guys is to size it up on a broom stick handle and get the length you think you need to feel.

I also wanted to pass from the email questions,,,
These are 5/8" in dia.
Anodized inside and out.


Thanks again,,, back to the shop now....

Tim
SpeyCo fly reels
www speyco net
Speyco is offline  
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Spey Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missoula
Posts: 42
I saw Montanafos's Staff a few weeks ago!

Not the 'full monty', but cute little pics on my iPhone revealed the sweet cork handled staff. I think he got the first one??

But....

I want a folding staff, could we cut it into pieces and attach some stretchy cord in there???? Please????

Tom
t5fingers is offline  
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
 
montanafos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Big Sky Rivers & Clearwater River
Posts: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5fingers View Post
Not the 'full monty', but cute little pics on my iPhone revealed the sweet cork handled staff. I think he got the first one??

But....

I want a folding staff, could we cut it into pieces and attach some stretchy cord in there???? Please????

Tom
That was the topic of the conversation Tim and I were having...after I ordered another reel. He was talking about the benefits of a one piece staff vs the draw backs and limitations of a folding staff. That's when I fessed up that I had just bought the Simms and proceeded to buck up for one of his new ones. What he was saying made all the sense in the world. Limited effort water...folding staff ok...heavy, knock you down water and boulders...one piece staff or you may end up with a staff that's gonna come apart or fail when you need it most. That's when I said "I want one". I'm guessing you're gonna get the same response from Tim.
montanafos is offline  
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Speyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 577
Quote:
That was the topic of the conversation Tim and I were having...after I ordered another reel. He was talking about the benefits of a one piece staff vs the draw backs and limitations of a folding staff. That's when I fessed up that I had just bought the Simms and proceeded to buck up for one of his new ones. What he was saying made all the sense in the world. Limited effort water...folding staff ok...heavy, knock you down water and boulders...one piece staff or you may end up with a staff that's gonna come apart or fail when you need it most. That's when I said "I want one". I'm guessing you're gonna get the same response from Tim.
Spot on statement. The first time I had my staff get stuck in a rock then come apart / fold up in the middle then I almost got sucked in to the flow on top of the Canadian pool.

Needless to say the first time was the last time for that to happen. I tossed my $140 advanced 5 section fold up style piece of chinese made junk complete with the "Faux" leather holster and all in the bin that night. Then I built my own ,,, never looked back.

I have seen guys use them,,, looks like a wet noodle flapping in the water.... "emergency wading staff"... no kidding...
BUT keep in mind These are for Garbage picking only... Not as a one piece bomb tuff wading stick..

Tim
SpeyCo fly reels
www speyco net
Speyco is offline  
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Speyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 577
I have one question for you air travelers,, about "restrictions" on the length when flying? I flew twice and one time I just brought my fly rod tube on with me, Not because they said I had to It's just I did not want others to miss handle it.

This was pre 911 , so is this different now? I am betting that they would look twice at a guy walking in with a bazooka looking tube these days. Man I need to get out! last time I took a flight was back in the 1900's ????
Thanks

Tim
SpeyCo fly reels
www speyco net
Speyco is offline  
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Rogue River
Posts: 11,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speyco View Post
Spot on statement. The first time I had my staff get stuck in a rock then come apart / fold up in the middle then I almost got sucked in to the flow on top of the Canadian pool.

Needless to say the first time was the last time for that to happen. I tossed my $140 advanced 5 section fold up style piece of chinese made junk complete with the "Faux" leather holster and all in the bin that night. Then I built my own ,,, never looked back.

I have seen guys use them,,, looks like a wet noodle flapping in the water.... "emergency wading staff"... no kidding...
BUT keep in mind These are for Garbage picking only... Not as a one piece bomb tuff wading stick..
Just an 'Old Man's' repeat comments: There is no such thing as a fold up staff that will save your butt when the 'chips are down.' If those who build/sell these things want to take me to court ... I have a few very local places (film camera in hand) that will cause them grief.

Ah heck, you're only in 3 foot of moving water.




Fred Evans - White City, Oregon
fredaevans is offline  
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Internet Scientist
 
middlecalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,304
Hey Tim - I flew in June from Boise to Seattle (Alaska Airlines), Seattle to London Heathrow (BA), and London Gatwick to Aberdeen Scotland (Easy Go or something like that, one of the local commuter airlines), as well as all in reverse, with my fly rod tube as carry on. No issues anywhere. I think the TSA agent leaving Boise asked me if that was a fly rod in the tube. (TCX 8119-4, so not a big tube).
middlecalf is offline  
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Speyco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 577
I did a bit of digging around this morning. Here is what TSA said.

"Weight and Size Allowance:
Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, overweight and oversize baggage fee is $50 per item. Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo."

So a one piece should be good ? Unless you are 12 feet tall and require a 81" wading stick. In that case please just walk,jump,or skip you will get there much faster with such long legs anyway. Am I missing something here ? I have been getting many emails asking about this subject, and I would like to know what to tell them....
Thanks

Tim
SpeyCo fly reels
www speyco net
Speyco is offline  
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
montanafos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Big Sky Rivers & Clearwater River
Posts: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speyco View Post
I did a bit of digging around this morning. Here is what TSA said.

"Weight and Size Allowance:
Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Effective for tickets purchased on or after December 15, 2012, for travel on or after February 13, 2013, overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. For tickets for travel before February 13, 2013, or for tickets purchased prior to December 15, 2012, overweight and oversize baggage fee is $50 per item. Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo."

So a one piece should be good ? Unless you are 12 feet tall and require a 81" wading stick. In that case please just walk,jump,or skip you will get there much faster with such long legs anyway. Am I missing something here ? I have been getting many emails asking about this subject, and I would like to know what to tell them....
Thanks
I'd say you are correct. I've carried on my rod tube for a 2 piece 9 1/2' 8 weight with no problems. Just stuffed it in overhead. The only other thought would be an overly "shoulder chipped" TSA agent who felt that it could be used as a device to inflict harm...it's pointy...

I'm going to run up to our airport today with my staff...Lord knows we have a bagillion fly flyfisherman flying in and out of Montana all year. I'll ask TSA what they think. I'll strap my staff to the long rod tube as if I were headed somewhere cool for great big fish and pose the question. Will touch base later with their comments. Gonna use a reel on rod tube and attach the staff to the exterior. As I look at it, a guy could easily just put the staff in a PVC tube also. I've carried a few rod tubes all stretch wrapped together in the past. Will take that along as well too so that if they say "no" to the visible "pointy thing"...I can say..."how's about in a closed tube?"
montanafos is offline  
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM
LD1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern, Wa
Posts: 370
Wondering if there is some sort of quick connect that would be sturdy and allow for a two piece rod? I would think that would make it much more user friendly when off the river?

Very nice looking wading staff.
LD1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wading staff? farns005 General 36 02-07-2013 04:23 PM
Simms Staff jimfishon Spey Classifieds 0 12-16-2012 08:27 PM
Looking for wading staff Mare Spey Classifieds 34 11-10-2012 12:53 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome