I'm new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself. I'm located in Ontario and I'm new to spey casting and fishing. I decided to take the plunge into spey rods on a deal I received for a Sage 9141. I will be primarily using this rod for Autumn salmon and Spring/Winter steelheads that run up the tributaries of Lake Huron, Eerie and Ontario. I am looking for a proper reel and Skagit line to match this rod. I have a budget of about $200-250 for the reel.
For the line, I am considering Skagit because many of the areas I will be fishing have high banks and very little space for backcasting. Also I would ideally like to attach a sinking tip to the end of the Skagit line to get my flies down deep. I have my eyes on either the Rio
Skagit Head 700gr line. As per Rio
's website, the Sage 9141 rod should be matched with the Rio
Skagit Head 700gr. line.
I was hoping some of the experienced individuals could help me out with some questions:
1) What running line do people suggest with this Skagit Head? How long?
2) What backing do people suggest with this setup? How long? Can I get away with 20lb backing?
3) Will the Ross CLA 5 be able to spool the Rio
Skagit Head 700gr., running line and backing? should I consider the CLA 6 or 7? (would rather not because of my budget)
4) Are their any alternatives to the Ross CLA?
5) Does anyone have a new/used Ross CLA 5, 6 or 7 they are interested in selling?
Looking forward to building this setup; I've already missed multiple runs of Salmon this year!