11 weeks! Wow. That's great, I envy your students.
When guiding folks I talk a LOT about fish fighting and handling but I don't really spend a lot of time in casting
classes talking about this. I do however cover "fishing" verses just casting, and will talk about anything fish related as much as the group will stand.
However that's a casting class, I would think an 11 week flyfishing course would definitely include fish fighting and handling material.
- proper power rod / line / tippet for fast fights
- hook configs - barbless singles etc
- water temperature / avoidance of low oxygen conditions
- stage in the life cycle to target
- sparky's law
- current verses frog water
- no knotted nets, or no nets period
- choosing the right spot for your fish to 'rest'