Your assistance with a possible purchase - Spey Pages
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Troutfly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 156
Your assistance with a possible purchase

I have been thinking about purchasing a Winston BIIx 7133-4 ever since I fished one on the Deschutes for 2 days last September. I really like the action. This would be an expensive purchase for me so I am asking if anyone has any feelings, pro or con about this. My spey rod purchase experience is limited and most of my rods have been purchased used. Right now I have a Fly Logic Dec Hogan 1308, a Meiser 13678 MKS and a Sage 6126.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Stu
Troutfly1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 12:59 AM
MJC
Junkyard Spey
 
MJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Clearwater River, Peck, ID
Posts: 7,112
The rod in question is an excellent choice. It is a favorite of many casters.
I really like it with a 7/8 Delta. Many people think it rocks with a scandi head.

Poppy=Red Shed Spey Rod Pimp
FRSCA-Founding Member


How you get the line out and fishing is personal preference so as long as it works and is easy no one should care but the caster. MSB
MJC is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Stilly, Skagit, Methow, etc...
Posts: 772
here is a skagit casters perspective

I think it makes sense, given the rest of your lineup. I'm just gonna guess that you have the 6126-3, not the z-axis. I have not cast the 1308, but my impression is that it is a pretty full flexing rod. I'm gonna venture one more guess and figure that it loads with a 510 or so compact skagit. If so, the only thing I might say about your lineup is that it's a little tight (possibly redundant?) on your power spectrum.

For slinging leeches, I see:

6126-3 compact 480 + 100-120gr tip
1308 compact 510 + 120- 140gr tip (could be wrong here)
MKS compact 540/570 + 140- 180gr tip

These are all low or whole flex rods, though, which don't respond to a punctuated stroke. The winston doesn't mind a punctuated stroke, but at lower loads, like 420-450 belly weight. I'll get flack for this, and that is ok, but the Winston's tip lays down with a genuine cork-creakin' skagit load on it. Ain't my cup of tea. Your other rods have stronger tips or a smoother taper and probably feel great. So, I don't think the Winston makes a good skagit rod, but you need something with a faster butt section just for variety of experience, and perhaps to maximize your feel of scandi/shorthead line systems. (I think it's a great rod for that.)

Trevor

Last edited by Trevor; 07-24-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: edit in parentheses.
Trevor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:04 AM
Registered User
 
akcaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alaska
Posts: 202
The Winston BIIx 7133-4 is considered by many to be one of the sweetest casting rods around. I have owned this rod and fished it for a number of years. As Poppy says the rod fishes well with the Delta 7/8, scandi heads also cast well on the rod, and a 475-510 skagit rocks on the rod also. This is a very light in the hand rod that will have the line jumping off the rod tip.

Hard to go wrong with this rod.

Mark

akcaster
FFF MCI and THCI
RL Winston Rod Co. Pro Staff
akcaster is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,020
Buy it NOW!

Hi Guys, I have a chance to marry a multi millionaire playboy bunny look alike with a service record like Mother Theresa who thinks I hung the moon but I wanted to get your guyses opinion first.

Lucky Duck, Thats my dream rod. But my Redington will suffice for now.

Buy it already
SkagitMiester is online now  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: anything with fish
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutfly1 View Post
I have been thinking about purchasing a Winston BIIx 7133-4 ever since I fished one on the Deschutes for 2 days last September. I really like the action. This would be an expensive purchase for me so I am asking if anyone has any feelings, pro or con about this. My spey rod purchase experience is limited and most of my rods have been purchased used. Right now I have a Fly Logic Dec Hogan 1308, a Meiser 13678 MKS and a Sage 6126.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Stu
It may interest you to know that Winston is discontinuing the bIIx. This means if you pay attention you will be able to get a brand new one for %30-%50 off.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...rlz=1I7GGLL_en
troutaddict is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: anything with fish
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkagitMiester View Post
Hi Guys, I have a chance to marry a multi millionaire playboy bunny look alike with a service record like Mother Theresa who thinks I hung the moon but I wanted to get your guyses opinion first.

Lucky Duck, Thats my dream rod. But my Redington will suffice for now.

Buy it already
Well you might just get your chance

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...rlz=1I7GGLL_en
troutaddict is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Troutfly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 156
Thanks for your advice and assistance

Thank you to those who wrote and provided me with your thoughts and information
Troutfly1 is online now  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:29 AM
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutaddict View Post
Well you might just get your chance

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...rlz=1I7GGLL_en
Hey, thanks for the tip- but what are they replacing it with? I suppose I'll need one of those next
SkagitMiester is online now  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Registered User
 
SkagitMiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutfly1 View Post
I have been thinking about purchasing a Winston BIIx 7133-4 ever since I fished one on the Deschutes for 2 days last September. I really like the action. This would be an expensive purchase for me so I am asking if anyone has any feelings, pro or con about this. My spey rod purchase experience is limited and most of my rods have been purchased used. Right now I have a Fly Logic Dec Hogan 1308, a Meiser 13678 MKS and a Sage 6126.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Stu
BIIIX: just by looking at the name it is clear that this rod will be replacing an old staple in the Winston line-up. Thatís right, the old faithful BIIX will officially be discontinued as of September, 2010. Now before the old guard gets to upset over this news, let me assure you that the new BIIIX is a far superior, better casting, better fishing fly rod then itís predecessor. Everything that most anglers disliked about the BIIX has been fixed (primarily the overly soft butt and mid section), and everything that we loved about the BIIX has been preserved. The BIIIX has more Boron material in the butt section then any other rod in this category, giving the new BIIIX a stiffer butt without adding weight. The stiffer butt section perfectly transitions into a stiffer mid section, which allows this new rod to achieve longer and more accurate casts. A bit more power also makes this rod more versatile when it comes to throwing larger flies and heavier rigs. All said and done, this fly rod is going to blow the fly fishing industry off itís feet, and surely propel Winston forward as a leader of fly rod manufacturing and design.
Wetwader likes this.
SkagitMiester is online now  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: GGACC to the Aleutians
Posts: 2,100
Stu,
You looked awfully good with that Loomis Versaspey.

Support Spey O Rama by joining GGACC (San Francisco's Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club) at http://www.ggacc.org/p/p.aspx?mlid=6.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/ for science based information on fly fishing.
Bob Pauli is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Troutfly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 156
Thanks, Bob

It's only because you are such a good instructor! However the rod was very nice but felt a bit softer than the BIIx that I fished last year. However, the Loomis was no slouch and casted the sink tips well. The 55 foot balistic vector head also probably had a lot to do with it.

Last edited by Troutfly1; 07-25-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Troutfly1 is online now  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: GGACC to the Aleutians
Posts: 2,100
Stu,
I have no dog in this discussion, but offer that the VersaSpey you used is lined with 590 grain Airflo and the 7-wt 13'3" BIIX works best at GGACC with 500 grain Vector.
Bob

Support Spey O Rama by joining GGACC (San Francisco's Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club) at http://www.ggacc.org/p/p.aspx?mlid=6.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/ for science based information on fly fishing.
Bob Pauli is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: anything with fish
Posts: 77
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkagitMiester View Post
BIIIX: just by looking at the name it is clear that this rod will be replacing an old staple in the Winston line-up. Thatís right, the old faithful BIIX will officially be discontinued as of September, 2010. Now before the old guard gets to upset over this news, let me assure you that the new BIIIX is a far superior, better casting, better fishing fly rod then itís predecessor. Everything that most anglers disliked about the BIIX has been fixed (primarily the overly soft butt and mid section), and everything that we loved about the BIIX has been preserved. The BIIIX has more Boron material in the butt section then any other rod in this category, giving the new BIIIX a stiffer butt without adding weight. The stiffer butt section perfectly transitions into a stiffer mid section, which allows this new rod to achieve longer and more accurate casts. A bit more power also makes this rod more versatile when it comes to throwing larger flies and heavier rigs. All said and done, this fly rod is going to blow the fly fishing industry off itís feet, and surely propel Winston forward as a leader of fly rod manufacturing and design.
I hope they don't follow Loomis' lead and charge $1100 for one
troutaddict is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rogue, Clackamas, Sandy
Posts: 55
Broken Heart and Wallet

This is nuts! I've had a winston Biix fetish for a couple years now and have scooped up several of thier spey rods...Sad to see them go but it sounds like we might be able to stock up before they are gone..

Does anyone have an idea on when the Biiix speys will hit the rack?? I need to know how long I have to save my pennies.
SandySlayer is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New rod purchase Glenn Rods 27 10-06-2007 06:19 PM
Help with first rod Purchase. Centerpin Rods 16 11-12-2005 01:31 AM
new purchase snoryder Rods 7 09-22-2002 08:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome