Sage igniter rods - Spey Pages
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By paddymc
  • 4 Post By J_Filip
  • 1 Post By paddymc
  • 1 Post By Matt16
  • 1 Post By jonken
  • 1 Post By paddymc
  • 2 Post By J_Filip
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ireland
Posts: 251
Sage igniter rods

Can anyone offer any experiences with the new Sage Igniter rods, particularly the 15’er ? What action it has, what lines it likes etc etc

I currently have a bit of an itch for a new rod and would be grateful for any feedback.
sylvain likes this.
paddymc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: West Michigan, Puget Sound, and OP Rivers
Posts: 237
Never cast the 10150 but I've spent time with the 8136 and the 7126.

Both are very nice rods as expected. VERY light. Almost too light if that makes any sense. Slightly softer than the Methods but still considerably fast action.

I used a 525 grain Rio game changer on the 8 and it was a perfect match. That's a lot lighter than I would typically throw on an 8 but it loaded just fine for my liking. The 7 took a bit more effort to find the sweet spot and honestly I don't think I ever hit it dead on to unlock its full potential. Would need to try more lines with it.

I think Sage made a monumental leap in spey rod technology back in the 2009 era with the Z axis and TCX rods. Then they took a smaller step with the ONEs and Methods. Now, it's a tip toe. Are these rods "better" than the methods? Of course they are. They are lighter, smoother and crisper. Could you justify upgrading your method quiver for the price? Probably not, but if you are still swinging around say a 10150 TCR, you should definitely consider it.


Edit:

Just thought I'd add that I use Sage rods exclusively and am lucky to own and fish rods from each of the eras I mentioned (and many much older). The incremental advancements in the past 10 years or so are in no way bashing Sage's efforts. I just think that's where we are at with graphite/ rod technology. Rods these days (from most manufacturers) are all excellent and until someone can make these things cast themselves, it's going to be tough to really push the envelope.

Last edited by J_Filip; 01-13-2019 at 10:06 AM.
J_Filip is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ireland
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Filip View Post
Never cast the 10150 but I've spent time with the 8136 and the 7126.

Both are very nice rods as expected. VERY light. Almost too light if that makes any sense. Slightly softer than the Methods but still considerably fast action.

I used a 525 grain Rio game changer on the 8 and it was a perfect match. That's a lot lighter than I would typically throw on an 8 but it loaded just fine for my liking. The 7 took a bit more effort to find the sweet spot and honestly I don't think I ever hit it dead on to unlock its full potential. Would need to try more lines with it.

I think Sage made a monumental leap in spey rod technology back in the 2009 era with the Z axis and TCX rods. Then they took a smaller step with the ONEs and Methods. Now, it's a tip toe. Are these rods "better" than the methods? Of course they are. They are lighter, smoother and crisper. Could you justify upgrading your method quiver for the price? Probably not, but if you are still swinging around say a 10150 TCR, you should definitely consider it.
Just seeing this now.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with those rods. Sounds good to me. Agree that improvements are getting smaller between new model ranges, but I have a major itch for a new 15’er and it feels like it is going to need scratching
J_Filip likes this.
paddymc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:10 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Filip View Post

I think Sage made a monumental leap in spey rod technology back in the 2009 era with the Z axis and TCX rods. Then they took a smaller step with the ONEs and Methods. Now, it's a tip toe. Are these rods "better" than the methods? Of course they are. They are lighter, smoother and crisper. Could you justify upgrading your method quiver for the price? Probably not, but if you are still swinging around say a 10150 TCR, you should definitely consider it.

...........x2
jddietrich likes this.
Matt16 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 AM
Registered User
 
jonken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dalälven (Älvkarleby, Sweden)
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymc View Post
Can anyone offer any experiences with the new Sage Igniter rods, particularly the 15’er ? What action it has, what lines it likes etc etc

I currently have a bit of an itch for a new rod and would be grateful for any feedback.
Hi,

For what it's worth..

I did test the 13,6 #8 Igniter for a day out on the water last fall. My friend has the Method 14 #9 with him the same day so compared those at the same day. My thoughts on the Sage X, Method and Igniter is that Sage X is more of a medium curve rod with fast recovery, the tip is quite soft so not to heavy lines on that one. The Method is stiffer, heavier all over and more tippy in my eyes, needs more weight to bend as much as I like. The 15' Method cast as far as you possible can.. The Igniter is super light have a deeper action with fast recovery, quite wide grain window cast the 13,6 with 31-35 gram (Scandi). I like the Igniter the most, caster friendly with deeper action (stiffer tip) and good feeling down the blank.

Happy hunting for your next rod..
paddymc likes this.
jonken is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: UK lakes and rivers
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymc View Post
Just seeing this now.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with those rods. Sounds good to me. Agree that improvements are getting smaller between new model ranges, but I have a major itch for a new 15’er and it feels like it is going to need scratching
I also have a major itch for a new 15ft rod although the sage one I currently have is an excellent rod. I am interested in thesage X 15ft but not seen much on line about people’s experience. I have the 9140 X and think it’s the nicest Sage 14ft I have owned having had the TCX and One version before.
I actually thought the sage one was a good step up from the Zaxis and still fish with them. That said I would like to try the X 15ft to see how it compares and if it’s as good as the 14ft.
Neil W is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ireland
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
I also have a major itch for a new 15ft rod although the sage one I currently have is an excellent rod. I am interested in thesage X 15ft but not seen much on line about people’s experience. I have the 9140 X and think it’s the nicest Sage 14ft I have owned having had the TCX and One version before.
I actually thought the sage one was a good step up from the Zaxis and still fish with them. That said I would like to try the X 15ft to see how it compares and if it’s as good as the 14ft.
Hi Neil, I seem to remember that jimmylong on sff has/had the sage x 15’. Might be worth a pm to him on sff to get an opinion ???
Neil W likes this.
paddymc is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ireland
Posts: 251
Would I be correct in thinking that the 15’ Igniter is not as stiff/fast as the Method, but is stiffer/faster than the 15’ One ?
paddymc is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ireland
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymc View Post
Would I be correct in thinking that the 15’ Igniter is not as stiff/fast as the Method, but is stiffer/faster than the 15’ One ?
Anyone please?
paddymc is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: West Michigan, Puget Sound, and OP Rivers
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymc View Post
Anyone please?

I have not cast these 15 footers but based on the other models I own and fish, your assumption is correct.
paddymc and sylvain like this.
J_Filip is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rods? RODS? Rehab? Or just rods! fyshhead Rods 21 09-15-2016 09:38 PM
2 Sage Trout Rods, 2 TFO Spey Rods and a couple 12 wt roundboymm Spey Classifieds 2 11-09-2013 01:54 PM
sage tcx vs Sage ONE switch rods hiwallman Rods 3 05-10-2012 08:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome