Oregon "easy stuff"? - Spey Pages
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.Cal
Posts: 827
Oregon "easy stuff"?

I'm hoping that some of you might be helpful in narrowing the focus for an upcoming trip I'll be taking my Dad on. We're looking to fish in some very easy access locations in the first week of March. I say easy because my Dad has some back injuries and is not very good on his feet anymore, and to be honest just being able to stand ankle deep in a riffle and make some casts is a real gift anymore. By easy, I just mean access/wading wise, as he is certainly no beginner to steelhead fishing; but his physical limitations have been challenging to say the least. So we're making the most of things and taking as many fishing trips as his body and my budget will allow while we still have the chance.

We might consider a day or so in a boat with a guide, but we have found that sometimes it's pretty tough for him getting in and out of a drift boat, and sitting in one for long can be problematic for his back. This would be a secondary plan for us, but mostly we're hoping to find some relatively easy walking and mild wading options where we might stand a decent chance at hooking some fish.

We will be tooling around in a small RV, hoping that will maximize our ability to change locations as conditions dictate. While I would be happy as a clam wading my way down long runs swinging my spey rod; we are also being realistic and bringing other rods as well depending location and conditions for my Dad to be able to fish one way or another. In other words we're not tied just to prime spey type waters, although easy gravel bars that he could walk down would be fantastic.

We welcome any and all suggestions, locations especially. PM's are fine too,
Thanks,
JB
Jason is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hebo
Posts: 614
Did you get any PM's?
Read1t48 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 03:47 PM
Registered User
 
Nate Bailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rogue River, Williamson
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I'm hoping that some of you might be helpful in narrowing the focus for an upcoming trip I'll be taking my Dad on. We're looking to fish in some very easy access locations in the first week of March. I say easy because my Dad has some back injuries and is not very good on his feet anymore, and to be honest just being able to stand ankle deep in a riffle and make some casts is a real gift anymore. By easy, I just mean access/wading wise, as he is certainly no beginner to steelhead fishing; but his physical limitations have been challenging to say the least. So we're making the most of things and taking as many fishing trips as his body and my budget will allow while we still have the chance.

We might consider a day or so in a boat with a guide, but we have found that sometimes it's pretty tough for him getting in and out of a drift boat, and sitting in one for long can be problematic for his back. This would be a secondary plan for us, but mostly we're hoping to find some relatively easy walking and mild wading options where we might stand a decent chance at hooking some fish.

We will be tooling around in a small RV, hoping that will maximize our ability to change locations as conditions dictate. While I would be happy as a clam wading my way down long runs swinging my spey rod; we are also being realistic and bringing other rods as well depending location and conditions for my Dad to be able to fish one way or another. In other words we're not tied just to prime spey type waters, although easy gravel bars that he could walk down would be fantastic.

We welcome any and all suggestions, locations especially. PM's are fine too,
Thanks,
JB
There are winter fish showing in the upper sections of the Rogue and McGregor park offers some easy fishing.
Nate Bailey is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.Cal
Posts: 827
Thanks guys. I have been getting a few very helpful PM's from Wes. I really appreciate any and all help, as I think this trip will be quite a challenge for us both. Either way, really happy just to have another chance to wet a line together.

Nate, the upper Rogue was high on the list, I just don't know the river well at all. Wasn't sure about the wading, but figure we could at least poke around a bit and find a few spots. Will put Mcgregor park on the list, thanks again!
JB
Jason is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Rogue River
Posts: 11,027
Similar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Bailey View Post
There are winter fish showing in the upper sections of the Rogue and McGregor park offers some easy fishing.
In my case its Parkinson's. My balance is shot to hell even with a wading staff. That aside! Upper end of Casey Park which is a bit below the hatchery. You go right by it just before you make the left turn to go up to the Hatchery.

Into the improved parking lot and turn left onto the flat gravel area and go to the top (60 yards?) and you'll find the old boat launch. 10 yards of open walking and this is the 'Bee's Knee's' for us old fogies. Plenty of room for the RV so don't worry about that.

The one place you DON'T want to take him is the water across from the Hatchery. Looks very inviting, which it is, but all the rocks are covered with 'Rock Snot/slime.' Several other good places below Grants Pass; if you want info on those shoot me a pm.

Fred




Fred Evans - White City, Oregon
fredaevans is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered User
 
sixheads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest of Normal Where The Real Wild Things Are
Posts: 766
Thumbs up t48,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read1t48 View Post
Did you get any PM's?
Well done, very classy bump !!!

If you ever come down to the Lost Coast, drop me a PM. I'll put a couple extra brewskis in the ice chest.

Enjoy the Spey Journey,
sixheads

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
John Wooden

WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT

FlyWerks
sixheads is online now  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered User
 
Nate Bailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rogue River, Williamson
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
In my case its Parkinson's. My balance is shot to hell even with a wading staff. That aside! Upper end of Casey Park which is a bit below the hatchery. You go right by it just before you make the left turn to go up to the Hatchery.

Into the improved parking lot and turn left onto the flat gravel area and go to the top (60 yards?) and you'll find the old boat launch. 10 yards of open walking and this is the 'Bee's Knee's' for us old fogies. Plenty of room for the RV so don't worry about that.

The one place you DON'T want to take him is the water across from the Hatchery. Looks very inviting, which it is, but all the rocks are covered with 'Rock Snot/slime.' Several other good places below Grants Pass; if you want info on those shoot me a pm.

Fred
Jason call either Fred or I, while your on Google Earth, we should be able to give you enough info to get you guys over fish.
Nate Bailey is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon NW Coastal/Metro Rivers
Posts: 18
PM sent. Have fun and good luck.
homeslice is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Rogue River
Posts: 11,027
Thumbs up No bad pun intended but Nate's 'right on.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Bailey View Post
Jason call either Fred or I, while your on Google Earth, we should be able to give you enough info to get you guys over fish.
The upper Rogue photo's (for normal water flows) are 'dead on' as to what you'll on the river. Fun thing to do is use the Compass Rose things and go into 'flight mode' and 'fly' up the river.

Total hoot ... and a good way to find access you didn't know existed as all the roads are very apparent. Another excellent resource is the 'old' Streamtime map of the Rogue. Covers the river from top to bottom.

Dated it may be but 99% of the comments on fishing spots are still dead on right down to the 1/10th of a mile. Thing costs about eight bucks; money well spent.

Fred




Fred Evans - White City, Oregon
fredaevans is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.Cal
Posts: 827
Awesome guys, lots of good stuff here and in PM. Really do appreciate the classy bump too

Fred, I have that Rogue streamtime map. It has given me a few ideas for sure.

Nate, that's very kind of you to offer. I don't know that we need quite that level of detailed help, but it is very very good of you to offer it still. Just naming a few spots like you guys have been will get us pointed in the right direction.

One other question to the board at large on this: anyone know of any easy spots with little to no wading needed on the NU? I'd love to take him there, as he never did manage to get down to fish it when he lived in Oregon for all those years. My own limited knowledge of that river suggests that it's probaby just too rugged, and too slippery, etc, etc. Might be best to keep any answers on that one private?
Cheers and thanks again everyone,
JB

P.S. anyone have a rough idea how long it takes fish to move up the Willamette from the falls to the Eugene area?
Jason is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mo' "stuff" on Skagit... Riveraddict Fishing with the Doublehanded Rod 23 03-23-2009 09:43 PM
"Official State fishing report" for SW Oregon fredaevans Fishing with the Doublehanded Rod 4 02-20-2006 05:44 PM
"Rooms At The Inn" - Best Western in Sandy, Oregon fredaevans General 0 02-12-2002 12:36 PM
"Easy to mend with?" ISC Archives ISC Archives 1 05-03-2001 04:14 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome