Mike I did this float one time a dozen years ago.. We floated from the fish counting weir to a spot known as gales creek.
1. I don't know how many fish are around in August however there are probably lots of salmon around then and therefore lots of bears
2. there is some serious white water in the float so be prepared for that
3. it's my understanding that there is REALLY serious white water below gales creek
4. doing this float you have to drive to the put in leave your vehicle and arrange for a helicopter to pick you and your gear up.... if was around 1500 dollars when we did it I suspect that the costs have greatly increased.
5. thee miles into the float you run into the first glacial tributary i expect that in August it could be making the river dirty depending upon the weather
6 there are no camp sites that are easily found... you'll have to clear away underbrush to put your tent down.
if i think of anything else i'll post it later,,, and as i said this information is 12 years old any or all of it may no longer be accurate.
"Never be afraid to show love" Frank Moore