Someone had to ask - Spey Pages
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
steelhd32's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: VA, NY, MT
Posts: 516
Someone had to ask

This was looking to be an epic fishing year, as I had booked more trips than ever. And then...

So, I am curious, what is everyone doing with respect to booked trips?

I can't understand why some folks think a drink can is harder to carry out when it is empty than it was to carry in when it was full.
steelhd32 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 07:21 PM
Registered User
SalmonCane's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Any Atlantic Salmon Water
Posts: 491
Just waiting and seeing. My first isn't until June, so an immediate decision isn't needed. But unless there's a radical change, not sure there will be any trips for anyone. Closed borders, no flights, and no social interaction doesn't bode well for any travel. I think there's a possibility many operators may decide to cut their losses and call off their season rather than risking further loss by opening and having cancellations. It really is unbelievable. I guess we'll see.....
Jason and DarthWader like this.
SalmonCane is online now  
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:09 PM
Registered User
Paul2's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
June plans here also and it doesn't look very good. I don't see it being completely contained in roughly 75 days .........
Jason likes this.
Paul2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: N.Cal
Posts: 954
Still trying to wrap my head around it all myself. June 10th, fingers crossed! At this point Iím actually getting far more concerned with some of the other ramifications. I have a few family members who are very high risk, so obviously thatís my most serious concern, but I also really worry about the economic impact to so many good people from this. Hope you all are staying safe and sane, it could be a very interesting (challenging) spring/summer (maybe fall too?).
Jason is online now  
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:36 PM
Registered User
Bigfoot's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in the woods right behind you
Posts: 119
Just cancelled a trip to Terrace/Skeena for April - next trips are not till late september and late october - will just have to wait and see what happens. On the positive- maybe this will reduce pressure on the steelhead to promote better returns in the future ( just trying to put a positive spin on things)
steelguy and DarthWader like this.
Bigfoot is offline  
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:42 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 1,618
Wait and see. Wife and I still planned to fly out in mid May
raspberry-patch is online now  
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 10:04 PM
Registered User
GHalliday's Avatar
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 692
Sounds like a good time for an old fashioned road trip and some camping under the stars.
SLSS, fatman, Eastside and 3 others like this.
GHalliday is offline  
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Registered User
Rick.H's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: American and Sacramento rivers
Posts: 71
That road trip sounds great but I'm under a shelter in place (stay home) order starting at midnight going to at least April 7th. Going out for non essential travel is a misdemeanor.

I am looking forward to two great in state trips this Fall though.
Rick.H is offline  
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:59 AM
Registered User
twists's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 203
Canada in April is canceled. Norway in July? Canada in October? Who knows...
twists is offline  
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 04:24 AM
Registered User
Paul2's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 29
Does anyone know if the Lodges are cancelling particularly on the Gaspe ? Maybe Goverment ordered ? We are booked first week June. While I consider this to be very low risk and I don't want to over react I need to take other family members safety into consideration. If I was the only one assuming the risk , no problem , I'd say screw it and go.....
Jason likes this.
Paul2 is offline  
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 05:55 AM
Registered User
DarthWader's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 80
It's very hard to predict as everything is changing at pace. My best guess is that we will see a flattening of the infection rate towards summer - something like mid-May to September - which may allow for some of the restrictions to be lifted for a short time. But it's likely that infections will increase again in the fall/winter period with the added complication of regular seasonal illness that puts extra pressure on health services.

Until we have a vaccine (12-18 months away) and/or effective anti-virals the most important thing is to try and reduce the spread via non-clinical measures such as social distancing.

Like others, if it was just myself I was risking I would probably go ahead with trips - but we all have family members and wider society to think about, the infectiousness (is that a word) seems much higher than anything we've seen in recent times. I'm trying to be hopeful that I may get away somewhere, somehow in the summer/early fall. But until we get this first wave under control we won't really know whether that is viable. The worst case scenario, not necessarily likely, is that international travel is off for 18 months - the knock-on effects of that could be huge. We'll likely be living with the economic impact of this for quite some time I suspect.

For anyone who is interested, there's a good and reasonably easy to understand study on the non-pharmaceutical interventions (isolation, distancing etc) here:

Mid-September on the Kenai anyone?
Put, Jason, steelguy and 1 others like this.
DarthWader is offline  
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northern B.C. Nechako,Bulkley
Posts: 65
You might want to re-think your fishing trips and stay home. Alberta and Ontario have declared a "state of emergency", BC is declaring a "medical emergency" and have closed all K-12 schools, and will probably follow Alberta & Ontario with the "state of emergency" in the very near future. The only thing that will be open is supermarkets and pharmacies.
Fisher54 is online now  
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 07:31 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Northern B.C. Nechako,Bulkley
Posts: 65
Prime Minister Trudeau being pressured to close the Canada-US border to all unnecessary nonessential traffic.

British Columbia just announced closer of all bar and restaurants that can't meet emergence heath criteria.

Last edited by Fisher54; 03-17-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Fisher54 is online now  
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:35 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Potomac River
Posts: 197
June trips will happen if your lodge hasn't already cancelled them. People will accept others getting sick before the potential economic impact from any real lockdown.
troutpunk is offline  
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 10:42 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: K
Posts: 198
At this point I'm just hoping to make my September trip. I missed it last year and if I do so again I may lose it!
fatman likes this.
Yardsale is online now  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome