Dean River - Spey Pages
 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
HappySkillzmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 28
Dean River

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get picked up and dropped off somewhere along the lower dean via boat?

It’s a dream of mine to fish the dean but unfortunately the cost is fairly prohibitive. Would love to plan a diy trip and camp on the lower but access is the limiting factor.



Thanks
HappySkillzmore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Registered User
 
tipsdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Alberta, Northern BC
Posts: 89
You could charter a commercial fishing boat from Bella Coola (1200 ish one way really not unreasonable if you have 3-4 people), followed by hiking your stuff in from the boat landing/barge landing to wherever you decide to camp.

Otherwise, no.

Winston/Lamson
tipsdeep is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Registered User
 
Catcherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Skagit, Skeena, Yakima, Methow
Posts: 80
I have never fished the Dean but hope to some day. No disrespect to the OP but part of the reason the Dean is a special place is exactly because access is difficult and/or relatively expensive to do. If you could put together inexpensive, DIY trips to the Dean, I wonder if the experience would be diminished because everyone else would be doing the same thing? Because I'm not independently wealthy (like most on here I assume) if I want to make the dream a reality, I will have to save some coin, do some planning, and make it happen on my own some day. Unless going with one of the lodges, I assume that is what others do as well. Welcome to the club.
Laker and DJJJ like this.
Catcherman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 09:32 PM
non-resident butthead
 
mitchaka2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: your home waters
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcherman View Post
Because I'm not independently wealthy (like most on here I assume)

well that's rich.







boom boom.

cheers,
shawn

Shawn,

First off I’m not your mate.
mitchaka2fish is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Registered User
 
ENSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 421
HS: You would be transported into an outfitter's backyard. This is British Columbia. That would not be my first choice.....


You could get a helicopter to dump you upstream. But be prepared to compete for water if there in prime time -- it is open access for BC residents. The competition happens despite the huge dollars on carbon-emitting fuels that all anglers must spend in order to get there.

Gasoline, diesel and jet-fuel have been faithful barriers to entry in the past that typically guaranteed quality angling in an open access setting. But not always.

°

Science is not common sense. Much of it is devoted to a systematic documentation of what we do not know and understand.
ENSO is online now  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Birkenhead, Lillooet Lake, Squamish
Posts: 149
2018 Heli cost: $3600 total for 2 people, 1100lbs of gear
If you're a touch flexible you can get that down to $2700 total.
If you're really flexible I think you could get it down to $1800-2000 total.

This was getting flow to and from just above the canyon.
jonathankirby is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: West Vancouver Island
Posts: 403
I would have to agree with Catch... Save some $ over the next little while, do some serious preparation and make it a trip of a lifetime with a Heli to drop you off wherever you want

I have started saving two years ago, almost there

JJ

What do you mean you release the fish after you catch it? Like, release it into your cooler right ?!?!
DJJJ is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Registered User
 
speyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJJ View Post
I would have to agree with Catch... Save some $ over the next little while, do some serious preparation and make it a trip of a lifetime with a Heli to drop you off wherever you want

I have started saving two years ago, almost there

JJ
Ive tossed and turned on how to get there and dodge the traditional path. scrimp, save, enjoy and relish in its rarity.

Im guilty of wanting some diy or immediate gratification but I heard the term 'successfull barrier" used to help put this special place in perspective. We cant have it all, now, and cheap. One of those 3 will have to fall off.

So I will save and hope im still alive and the steelhead are still there.

What I lack in skill --- I make up for with enthusiasm.
speyday is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySkillzmore View Post
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get picked up and dropped off somewhere along the lower dean via boat?

It’s a dream of mine to fish the dean but unfortunately the cost is fairly prohibitive. Would love to plan a diy trip and camp on the lower but access is the limiting factor.



Thanks
Just how are you going to get there on this “budget” version of the trip? That I assume would be the first question. The least expensive option for that already starts things off at a premium expense. Still, if you have a bunch of friends and organize you own expedition you can still save some money. It is my understanding from talking to friends who have done it many times is that most other people who have considered doing what you want to do finally decide it would be just too much trouble. Personally, while I have enjoyed the great food and nice digs of my one BC “lodge trip”, I would just as soon camp in a tent and eat rehydrated backpacking food if I could afford to fish there more often. In some ways I might even enjoy the trip more that way. While I disagree about MOST people on here being rich, I think the lodge route is definitely tuned to the most luxurious common denominator, so I do get your general point. Let us know if you figure something out - you probably would find many people on here who would go with you, and perhaps man an ocean-going row boat.

But like you, the Dean is on my bucket list. I think there are a FEW of us on here that are “independently wealthy”, but the real factor here is more that MANY of us on here ARE a bit nuts about these experiences.

“Gravity is a harsh mistress!”, The Tick
Botsari is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,072
Happy Skillzmore,

As mentioned, a boat drop off on the lower Dean River would place you directly in the middle of outfitter water. There are only about 5 good fly fishable pieces of water downstream of the lower Dean River Canyon cataracts and waterfalls and the tidewater of Dean Channel. And two lodges with jet boats rotate clients through those pools all day long every day. I'm not saying that you won't find any water to fish, just that you won't have any water all to yourself.

No matter how you get there, it's going to cost you quite a bit beyond pocket change. You might check with Bella Coola Air and see if they are flying wheeled aircraft into the Kimsquit air stirp again, but that had been discontinued a few years ago. I mention this because fixed wing is cheaper than helicopter, and I saw a fixed wing flying over the general location of the airstrip this summer.

Otherwise, helicopter is the only feasible way to get to the Dean. Helicopter costs vary according to the weight of your payload and whether they have a party to pick up after flying you in, and a party to bring in just before they pick you up for your flight out. Non of the options are inexpensive. People do this every year, and there are other lodges scattered up the river. So whether you float or get dropped off and picked up at the same place, it's not quite a true wilderness experience, as there are people fishing the entire 26 miles of river that is typically fished.

Sg
salmo_g is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 354
The runs on the dean this year were the lowest in 20 years according to a friend that was there. Just by going to the fabled waters, does not mean great fishing anymore. Same as the skeena, the glory days are over. Being dropped off can be done, the amount of water you will be competing with is limited. My friend has been, The person in question is quite wealthy, has been to the sustut, stayed with lanni Waller on the babine several times, and many many other lodges, he doesn't go anymore, not to knock any lodges or businesses, but he says these places are surviving on reputation alone, fishing just isn't there as of late for several years.
Hopefully things turn around, but I see so many coming with false hopes, and leave with disappointment.
He now walks and wades the northern BC waters saves his cash and catches just as many fish,
Bc steel is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 AM
Registered User
 
speyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: IL
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc steel View Post
The runs on the dean this year were the lowest in 20 years according to a friend that was there. Just by going to the fabled waters, does not mean great fishing anymore. Same as the skeena, the glory days are over. Being dropped off can be done, the amount of water you will be competing with is limited. My friend has been, The person in question is quite wealthy, has been to the sustut, stayed with lanni Waller on the babine several times, and many many other lodges, he doesn't go anymore, not to knock any lodges or businesses, but he says these places are surviving on reputation alone, fishing just isn't there as of late for several years.
Hopefully things turn around, but I see so many coming with false hopes, and leave with disappointment.
He now walks and wades the northern BC waters saves his cash and catches just as many fish,
Great and valuable insight from people who truly know the situation; thank you.

What I lack in skill --- I make up for with enthusiasm.
speyday is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,160
I wouldn’t get too worked up about numbers just yet. As recently as 2016 the fishing on the Dean was outstanding. A friend of mine who has the resources and has been there many times as well as yearly for several decades to the Skeena system had one of his best week of steelhead fishing ever with 30+ steelhead in 6 days. I remember it clearly because he sent a bunch of us an email just weeks after we all did a long trip on the Deshuttes that could legitimately be described as “dead”.

I heard through the grapevine that a certain trib of the Nass that we had fished the year before had its best year in a couple decades recently.

We know little about what causes fish to return on given years and climate change no doubt confuses things further. But if we are going to have to keep reminding the scientifically illiterate that there is a difference between climate and weather after every snowstorm we should be careful not to confuse such things ourselves.

Still the fish numbers general “climatic” indicators overall are certainly not good.
DarthWader likes this.

“Gravity is a harsh mistress!”, The Tick
Botsari is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 02:09 PM
Registered User
 
tipsdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Alberta, Northern BC
Posts: 89
Lakes district Air Is flying into the kimsquit strip. They fly from burns lake BC but do pick ups in bella coola and then into the dean.

Not cheap though, but still cheaper than a helicopter.

Winston/Lamson
tipsdeep is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 04:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 354
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botsari View Post
I wouldn’t get too worked up about numbers just yet. As recently as 2016 the fishing on the Dean was outstanding. A friend of mine who has the resources and has been there many times as well as yearly for several decades to the Skeena system had one of his best week of steelhead fishing ever with 30+ steelhead in 6 days. I remember it clearly because he sent a bunch of us an email just weeks after we all did a long trip on the Deshuttes that could legitimately be described as “dead”.

I heard through the grapevine that a certain trib of the Nass that we had fished the year before had its best year in a couple decades recently.

We know little about what causes fish to return on given years and climate change no doubt confuses things further. But if we are going to have to keep reminding the scientifically illiterate that there is a difference between climate and weather after every snowstorm we should be careful not to confuse such things ourselves.

Still the fish numbers general “climatic” indicators overall are certainly not good.
yes, last year on the skeena was a great year, a bright light that brings hope, but the fact remains, the salmon and steelhead stocks are u doubtetly in serious trouble all along the west coast.
Cross our fingers that things turn around.
No one is hoping more than me, as I plan to spend my last few years before retirement on the kitimat LNg project.
Working 14-7, yes, 14 working and 7 fishing. Should be a job I can get used to.
Let's all hope for the best.
Bc steel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dean and Babine River float trips nevada caster Destinations 1 06-29-2003 10:21 AM
Dean River Spey Rod K-Trout Rods 13 01-29-2003 04:07 PM
Dean River Anyone NrthFrk16 General 1 12-14-2002 03:14 AM
Dean River Journal? ISC Archives ISC Archives 3 05-05-2000 03:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome