BC Spring Run - Spey Pages
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Steelheadfreak
  • 1 Post By Steelheadfreak
  • 2 Post By tipsdeep
  • 1 Post By Cougar
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 481
BC Spring Run

Replacement Passport came through. Skeena, Kitimat, maybe Kalum on deck. Any fly suggestions?
Attached Images
 
Skol Bandit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:39 AM
Registered User
 
Steelheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 391
When do you go?......if its soon, bring a snow shovel and an ice pick......
J.James and Homewater like this.
Steelheadfreak is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 481
I go in April.
Skol Bandit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Registered User
 
Steelheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 391
Well hopefully the ice is gone and the launch in town is snow free. We head up on the 29th of this month and its not looking good. Winter can just kiss my butt.

On a side note, the city of Terrace should plow the boat launch.....please?....pretty please?.....If the river is ice free that is.
Skol Bandit likes this.
Steelheadfreak is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 904
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar
If you think of fishing for springs, better hold off on it. I hear all rivers will be closed for chinook and it will be announced in April. Check with your lodge.
Cougar is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Registered User
 
Steelheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
If you think of fishing for springs, better hold off on it. I hear all rivers will be closed for chinook and it will be announced in April. Check with your lodge.
I've not heard this one yet. That said, would not surprise me at all. However, if it is closed, it will be under the guise of conservation (true the numbers will prob be down), but more aimed at another user groups access.....but that's a story for another day. Let the rumor mill grind
Steelheadfreak is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Skeena
Posts: 153
Another user group proposal to the federal fisheries. Using skewed numbers and self promotion. Yep If local stores, Guides, Feishemen and fisher-women Don't get together and speak out. This year will be worse than last. The changes proposed will shut the whole system down permanently in favor of ocean interests only. They would be the only guides allowed to fish for salmon at all.All proposals are to voted on soon and there are very few river people that have a vote. The majority are ocean guides and commercial fishermen.All new rules will be implemented in April
rjb222 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Registered User
 
tipsdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Alberta, Northern BC
Posts: 92
No such thing as spring run fish (might actually be true this year). Stay home. On an unrelated note I've booked some time in Terrace over easter for "appointments".

Winston/Lamson
tipsdeep is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 904
Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsdeep View Post
No such thing as spring run fish (might actually be true this year). Stay home. On an unrelated note I've booked some time in Terrace over easter for "appointments".
....the other thing to consider is we have a record snow pack and the temps next week will be at +11C . Conditions could be anything by the end of March - from fishable to a total write off; even a flood.
ENSO likes this.
Cougar is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: SW Alaska, Bulkley Valley, Skeena
Posts: 1,946
13.1.3.5.2 Recreational Fisheries

13 NORTHERN CHINOOK SALMON FISHING PLAN


For 2018, recreational fishing for chinook salmon in the Nass and Skeena River Watersheds will be closed for the season. Recreational fishing for chinook salmon may re-open provided in- season estimates show strong returns. Should the Nass or Skeena open to retention of chinook, the maximum daily limit will be 2 chinook salmon, only 1 of which can be over 65 cm. The minimum overall length is 30 cm. The Skeena River mainstem upstream of the Sustut River and most of the Skeena River tributaries, with the exception of sections of the Babine, Bulkley, Kitsumkalum, Morice, and Sustut Rivers, will remain closed to chinook fishing all year. Closures will also be in place at the mouth of the Kitwanga and Kispiox Rivers.
In-season updates and fishery regulation changes can be found on the recreational fisheries website:
Untitled Document.
For direct notification of regulatory changes, individuals may sign up to have recreational fishery notices sent directly to their email at the website above. Refer to the link to subscribe to fishery notices on the right hand side of the page.

Skeena ISBM Chinook Fishing Plan
Area C Gill Net Fisheries
For 2018, it is not anticipated that there will be any directed gill net opportunities for chinook salmon in Area 4.
When abundances permit, this chinook fishery is managed to a maximum catch of 4,000 chinook. In most years, the fishery begins with an initial opening of 18 hours. Subsequent fishing opportunities are dependent upon stock abundance determined from the Tyee test fishery and CPUEs on the first opening. If average or better abundances are indicated, flexibility will be exercised to facilitate the harvest of the 4,000 chinook by the gill net fleet. This may include some flexibility with the timing of openings to provide increased opportunity to harvest chinook.



KEY CHANGES FOR THE 2018/19 NORTHERN BC SALMON IFMP
STATE OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN AND FRESHWATER ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
( page 24 )

For the 2018 season, the Department has supported the recommendations from the Skeena First Nations Technical Committee to increase the FSC management trigger level for initiating First

Nations Section 35(1) fisheries from a 400,000 to 600,000 sockeye total return to Canada and plans to start the season with a closure for sockeye directed fisheries. See Section 13.5.4.3 for more information.

PDF is to large to post, but the plan should be soon available on DFO website.


Pre-season Skeena River Sockeye Run Size Forecast: ( any chance of commercial fishery for Sockeye is very low and FN will not fish until minimum 600,000 passes Tyee index
The total Skeena sockeye return is expected to be poor with a pre-season return forecast from 0.28 million (90% probability) to 1.47 million (10% probability) and a point estimate of 0.65 million (50% probability) based on the sibling model.

he FSC management trigger level for First Nations Section 35 (1) sockeye fisheries closures will be increased from 400,000 to 600,000;
The 2018 fishing season will start closed for fisheries targeting Skeena sockeye and measures will be taken to minimize the by-catch of Skeena sockeye in all fisheries targeting other non- sockeye stocks or other species.
Subject to Tier 1 and 2 discussions, opportunities for First Nations FSC sockeye fisheries may take place if the in-season TRTC estimate exceeds 625,000 on or after July 26, 2018. Further discussion will be required to develop and equitable First Nations FSC harvest plan that may provide limited FSC opportunities in marine areas.
Individual Skeena First Nations FSC harvest plans will continue to be developed and refined based on in-season salmon return information.
The Skeena sockeye aggregate escapement target is 900,000 and First Nations food, social and ceremonial fishery requirements are in the range of 150,000.


• If the pre-season forecast or the Skeena sockeye return to Canada is greater than 1.05 million, then commercial fishery openings are planned.
• If the pre-season run size forecast is below 1.05 million, commercial fisheries will not take place until the in-season run size prediction is greater than 1.05 million.
• Any gill net fisheries on or after August 1 will be short-net, short-set.
The allowable Canadian commercial exploitation rate on the Skeena sockeye aggregate increases as the return to Canada increases. The allowable commercial exploitation rate will be 0% for returns to Canada less than 1,050,000. The allowable exploitation rate will increase in a linear fashion from 0% at 1,050,000 to 20% at a run size of 2.0 million, 30% at 3.0 million, and up to a maximum of 40% at a return of 4.0 million or greater. See Figure 13.5-6.
DFO may reserve sockeye allocation for seine vessels to account for sockeye by-catch during a directed pink fishery.
Directed fisheries for Skeena sockeye after August 1 will be constrained by sockeye and chum salmon stocks of concern. While the aggregate harvest rate schedule shown in Figure 13.5-6 guides the overall commercial exploitation rate, other important considerations include protecting and rebuilding identified stocks and species of concern, incorporating concerns expressed by First Nations and stakeholders and impacts of other fisheries in setting weekly harvest rates. These additional considerations will guide weekly harvest rates in late July and early August.
sazan is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Registered User
 
Steelheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazan View Post
13.1.3.5.2 Recreational Fisheries

13 NORTHERN CHINOOK SALMON FISHING PLAN


For 2018, recreational fishing for chinook salmon in the Nass and Skeena River Watersheds will be closed for the season. Recreational fishing for chinook salmon may re-open provided in- season estimates show strong returns. Should the Nass or Skeena open to retention of chinook, the maximum daily limit will be 2 chinook salmon, only 1 of which can be over 65 cm. The minimum overall length is 30 cm. The Skeena River mainstem upstream of the Sustut River and most of the Skeena River tributaries, with the exception of sections of the Babine, Bulkley, Kitsumkalum, Morice, and Sustut Rivers, will remain closed to chinook fishing all year. Closures will also be in place at the mouth of the Kitwanga and Kispiox Rivers.
In-season updates and fishery regulation changes can be found on the recreational fisheries website:
Untitled Document.
For direct notification of regulatory changes, individuals may sign up to have recreational fishery notices sent directly to their email at the website above. Refer to the link to subscribe to fishery notices on the right hand side of the page.

Skeena ISBM Chinook Fishing Plan
Area C Gill Net Fisheries
For 2018, it is not anticipated that there will be any directed gill net opportunities for chinook salmon in Area 4.
When abundances permit, this chinook fishery is managed to a maximum catch of 4,000 chinook. In most years, the fishery begins with an initial opening of 18 hours. Subsequent fishing opportunities are dependent upon stock abundance determined from the Tyee test fishery and CPUEs on the first opening. If average or better abundances are indicated, flexibility will be exercised to facilitate the harvest of the 4,000 chinook by the gill net fleet. This may include some flexibility with the timing of openings to provide increased opportunity to harvest chinook.



KEY CHANGES FOR THE 2018/19 NORTHERN BC SALMON IFMP
STATE OF THE PACIFIC OCEAN AND FRESHWATER ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
( page 24 )

For the 2018 season, the Department has supported the recommendations from the Skeena First Nations Technical Committee to increase the FSC management trigger level for initiating First

Nations Section 35(1) fisheries from a 400,000 to 600,000 sockeye total return to Canada and plans to start the season with a closure for sockeye directed fisheries. See Section 13.5.4.3 for more information.

PDF is to large to post, but the plan should be soon available on DFO website.


Pre-season Skeena River Sockeye Run Size Forecast: ( any chance of commercial fishery for Sockeye is very low and FN will not fish until minimum 600,000 passes Tyee index
The total Skeena sockeye return is expected to be poor with a pre-season return forecast from 0.28 million (90% probability) to 1.47 million (10% probability) and a point estimate of 0.65 million (50% probability) based on the sibling model.

he FSC management trigger level for First Nations Section 35 (1) sockeye fisheries closures will be increased from 400,000 to 600,000;
The 2018 fishing season will start closed for fisheries targeting Skeena sockeye and measures will be taken to minimize the by-catch of Skeena sockeye in all fisheries targeting other non- sockeye stocks or other species.
Subject to Tier 1 and 2 discussions, opportunities for First Nations FSC sockeye fisheries may take place if the in-season TRTC estimate exceeds 625,000 on or after July 26, 2018. Further discussion will be required to develop and equitable First Nations FSC harvest plan that may provide limited FSC opportunities in marine areas.
Individual Skeena First Nations FSC harvest plans will continue to be developed and refined based on in-season salmon return information.
The Skeena sockeye aggregate escapement target is 900,000 and First Nations food, social and ceremonial fishery requirements are in the range of 150,000.


• If the pre-season forecast or the Skeena sockeye return to Canada is greater than 1.05 million, then commercial fishery openings are planned.
• If the pre-season run size forecast is below 1.05 million, commercial fisheries will not take place until the in-season run size prediction is greater than 1.05 million.
• Any gill net fisheries on or after August 1 will be short-net, short-set.
The allowable Canadian commercial exploitation rate on the Skeena sockeye aggregate increases as the return to Canada increases. The allowable commercial exploitation rate will be 0% for returns to Canada less than 1,050,000. The allowable exploitation rate will increase in a linear fashion from 0% at 1,050,000 to 20% at a run size of 2.0 million, 30% at 3.0 million, and up to a maximum of 40% at a return of 4.0 million or greater. See Figure 13.5-6.
DFO may reserve sockeye allocation for seine vessels to account for sockeye by-catch during a directed pink fishery.
Directed fisheries for Skeena sockeye after August 1 will be constrained by sockeye and chum salmon stocks of concern. While the aggregate harvest rate schedule shown in Figure 13.5-6 guides the overall commercial exploitation rate, other important considerations include protecting and rebuilding identified stocks and species of concern, incorporating concerns expressed by First Nations and stakeholders and impacts of other fisheries in setting weekly harvest rates. These additional considerations will guide weekly harvest rates in late July and early August.
Sazan..........I cant find this notice anywhere? Where did you get it?
Steelheadfreak is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW Washington spring run summer steelies? zail Destinations 8 05-20-2006 02:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome