Compulsive water gazer
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Salmon River NY
Destinations for 2009 trip?
I've got clearance to go fish someplace exotic next year for a week. I'm trying to decide where to go, and I'd love some suggestions. My ideal trip:
- The guides should specialize in fly fishing and know enough about two-handed techniques to be able to help me improve my game. 2 rods per guide max.
- The river should be large enough for swinging, but small enough for wading. (Don't want to fish out of boat/raft).
- target species: Atlantic or Pacific salmon and/or steelhead
- a dozen or more hookups a day.. prefer more smaller fish than a few truly large ones
- OK with plain simple food & drink, and a clean, dry tent, though a hot showers and drying shed are nice.
- experienced international traveler and still in pretty decent physical condition. Fished Kamchatka once.. and would return.. on the other hand have never fished Alaska, Gaspe, Ponoi, BC, Scotland, Iceland.....
Also would appreciate opinions of travel agents/outfitters.. e.g. Will Blair, The Fly Shop (Redding CA), John Eustice..