Reel Balence - Spey Pages
 26Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Steelheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 378
Reel Balence

So why are a lot of guys so anal about reel balance? I just don't get it. For me personally, If I like the reel, I slam it on the rod and fish it. Balance is adjusted by where I hold the rod. Even my heaviest 70T tank of a reel only needs an inch of difference in hand placement during the swing. I guess Im just not that picky...
Steelheadfreak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Registered User
 
eriefisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lower Grand River, Saugeen and everything else wet.
Posts: 805
I agree. I think you will naturally find a balance in a short time anyway.
Bob Budesa likes this.

Which way to the river?
eriefisher is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Registered User
 
Nickels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 464
Total agree!.....until you fish a bamboo rod like a sharps then you would want a little more balance. I’m my opinion
Nickels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,310
To a point and within a few ounces...

Would you fish your spey reel on a trout rod or your trout reel on your spey rod?

My personal opinion lies within the fishing action more than the casting action - I like my rod tip effortlessly up when I'm fishing, so my "balance" trends towards a heavier reel.

I also don't like having to find the sweet spot on the cork every cast, I just like holding it in one spot.

It's all personal preference anyway.
Leo M and kenobione like this.
JonT is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,919
Most rods have so short front handles that we need to hold from the blank if setup is wanted to be in balance using very light weight reels there are currently available.

Esa
bender is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM
DDB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Potomac/Shanendoah
Posts: 201
Most thin walled modern graphite rods and the ltwt reels selected for and sized to them do balance pretty well and allow for grip adjustments to compensate as stated.

But older reels tend to be heavier for the size called for with modern graphites . And bamboo and fiberglass users find that most modern reels are way to light for their heavier wands-- well beyond the hand adjustment range. The resulting misfits make you fight the tip weight which screws with your casting stroke and wears you out over a long day.

A case in point. Orvis recently offered a package deal on its 8'6 6 wt Superfine glass rod package. The reel in the package was a Battenkill IV which was way too light for the rod -- the tip dived to the floor with it aboard. Being "anal" about it I exchanged the reel and the 'package' now deserves its name. Or I just could have fought that rod every time I tried it and relegated it to the back of the closet.

ddb
DDB is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:24 PM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheadfreak View Post
So why are a lot of guys so anal about reel balance? I just don't get it. For me personally, If I like the reel, I slam it on the rod and fish it. Balance is adjusted by where I hold the rod. Even my heaviest 70T tank of a reel only needs an inch of difference in hand placement during the swing. I guess Im just not that picky...
It matters to some people. We can feel the difference when casting as well as swinging. Yes, there are some people who don’t get it (or spell it correctly) but there are also people who can’t taste the difference between perfectly cooked rare filet mignon and an over-cooked cheap cut of meat. The reasons/arguments for the preference about weight by some people have been gone over ad nauseam on here in many threads, so if you don’t get it you don’t get it.
Attached Images
 

“Gravity is a harsh mistress!”, The Tick
Botsari is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Steelheadfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botsari View Post
It matters to some people. We can feel the difference when casting as well as swinging. Yes, there are some people who don’t get it (or spell it correctly) but there are also people who can’t taste the difference between perfectly cooked rare filet mignon and an over-cooked cheap cut of meat. The reasons/arguments for the preference about weight by some people have been gone over ad nauseam on here in many threads, so if you don’t get it you don’t get it.
The subtleness to your backhand was graceful for sure. I must just not "get it" in my Neanderthal thinking or lack there of. Maybe I should just go back to swinging spoons and worms under a bobber...
SpeyCEman likes this.
Steelheadfreak is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM
MHC
Registered User
 
MHC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: S Ontario rivers plus various lakes for warm water species.
Posts: 558
Most of my fishing (fly and otherwise) for the past 20 years has been using bamboo rods. Correct weight of the reel is very important with such double handed fly rods., as well as looking the part.

With reference to 'spoon chucking' etc. We fly fishers (generally) have long felt somewhat superior to riff-raff using more lowly methods.

Which reminds me of a fellow spey pages friend I was fishing with a few weeks ago, who mentioned that he would rather catch one fish on a fly rather than ten on a float.

I countered snootly (albeit tongue in cheek) that I would rather catch one fish on bamboo than ten using graphite..

Malcolm
MHC is online now  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Spey Is The Way
 
Leo M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 843
I don't get why you don't get it. I don't like a tip heavy rod through the swing. I had a rod that balanced out on the blank if I didn't want to fight to keep the tip out of the water. I don't think that's correct. Sometimes I think it's not enough top hand cork as opposed to too light of a reel.

Just my thoughts.

Bureaucracy is the art of making the possible impossible.
Leo M is online now  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
Most of my fishing (fly and otherwise) for the past 20 years has been using bamboo rods. Correct weight of the reel is very important with such double handed fly rods., as well as looking the part.

With reference to 'spoon chucking' etc. We fly fishers (generally) have long felt somewhat superior to riff-raff using more lowly methods.

Which reminds me of a fellow spey pages friend I was fishing with a few weeks ago, who mentioned that he would rather catch one fish on a fly rather than ten on a float.

I countered snootly (albeit tongue in cheek) that I would rather catch one fish on bamboo than ten using graphite..

Malcolm
To my mind that is a no-brainer. The real question is how many fish on gear/bait/bobbers is the equivalent to ZERO fish swinging a fly - now THAT is a situation with significant applicability where one’s purist tendencies will actually be quantitatively tested.

“Gravity is a harsh mistress!”, The Tick
Botsari is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Administrator
 
GR8LAKES FLYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: All Rivers flowing into Georgian Bay
Posts: 16,474
"Getting it" or "Not getting it" is irrelevant ... in my opinion (also irrelevant).
It boils down to personal tastes, "tip-up", "tip down", whatever floats your boat. Moving your hand up and down the cork, that is up to the operator.

My tastes:

I like a butt heavy rod (tip up) for hitching, skating and dead floating a dry fly ... I move my hand up the cork.
For sunk fly presentations using full sinkers, I like a "tip heavy" rod (tip down) ... I move my hand down the cork.

I don't want to get into the "why's" in this thread, I will just say it's the way I like to swing for those presentations. I use the same reels for both presentations (I love my Olson reels). So I do what I do to make me happy

Wonderful thing about our sport/passion, is we can concentrate on many aspects of it and break it down to a science ... and that is what fuels the passion for some ... others not so much, it's something else. It could be line building, fly tying, hook making, rod building, whatever it is, it is personal and makes them happy. I have a friend on here that has broken down balancing his rods and reels down to 1/4 oz. He likes precision and that defines his personality ... awesome. I still think he's crazy, but I remind myself, that's who my friend is


Mike

Have you Swung a Spey Fly today ??
GR8LAKES FLYER is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Registered User
 
ENSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheadfreak View Post
..... Maybe I should just go back to swinging spoons and worms under a bobber...
Well, your expected catch rate would likely go up. Instead of worms, may I recommend jigs?
Steelheadfreak likes this.

°

Science is not common sense. Much of it is devoted to a systematic documentation of what we do not know and understand.
ENSO is online now  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:51 PM
Registered User
 
Botsari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8LAKES FLYER View Post
...
I have a friend on here that has broken down balancing his rods and reels down to 1/4 oz. He likes precision and that defines his personality ... awesome. I still think he's crazy, but I remind myself, that's who my friend is
...

Now that IS crazy! Everyone knows that anything less than 3/8 oz is unimportant. Geez - some people.
Steelheadfreak likes this.

“Gravity is a harsh mistress!”, The Tick
Botsari is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Administrator
 
GR8LAKES FLYER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: All Rivers flowing into Georgian Bay
Posts: 16,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botsari View Post
Now that IS crazy! Everyone knows that anything less than 3/8 oz is unimportant. Geez - some people.
HAHAHAHAHA !!!
It's probably more like 1/8 oz ... I just didn't want him to be seen as a "freak" by some members on here ...

Nothing better than to be standing in the river with the currents rushing against my waders, swinging a fly the way I want to ... everything else seems to be irrelevant at that time.


Mike
Bob Budesa likes this.

Have you Swung a Spey Fly today ??
GR8LAKES FLYER is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Spey Pages forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome